Windows 10: new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

Discus and support new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Dell desktop with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home copy. I need to replace the hard drive due to speed / noise issues. My question is,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by simplify3000, Dec 24, 2019.

1. new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

Hi,

I have a Dell desktop with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home copy.

I need to replace the hard drive due to speed / noise issues.

My question is, if I get a new hard drive, how can I install Windows 10 on it again?

And how to ensure that will be a "valid" licensed copy?

Thanks

:)

simplify3000, Dec 24, 2019
  2. cjoesgirl Win User

new hard drive windows license.

can I use the license key from a windows 7 computer that was upgraded to windows 10 on a new hard drive for that same computer. My original hard drive failed.

cjoesgirl, Dec 24, 2019
  3. GFritz_33 Win User
    Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash

Hi SarahKong

Thansks fo the response. I looked at the Wiki that you suggested. The first step of the wiki is as follows:

"

Determine whether your Windows 10 license can be transferred. There are some restrictions when it comes to transferring the license:[1]
    • If you upgraded from a retail version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can transfer your license (but only once).
    • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer as many times you want.
    • If you upgraded from a OEM (pre-installed by your computer’s manufacturer) Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license, your Windows 10 license cannot be transferred.
    • If you upgraded using the Easy Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10, you can transfer the license using Digital Licensing."
    My windows 10 is the pre installed one that comes on my computer. So my situation does not seem to fit any of cases mentioned above.

i look forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Regards

GFritz_33, Dec 24, 2019
  4. new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

Change hard drive of Win7 system with Win8 OEM License

You appear to be talking about Downgrade Rights.

Contact Lenovo:

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software
    To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Bill Smithers, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

1. new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license - Similar Threads - hard drive OEM

2. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  3. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  4. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?: I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530, and have replaced the hard drive once before, due to busting the old one Gamer rage. I'm currently using a 250GB hard drive and have a 4TB one on the way. I talked with the Live help earlier, and the person said the license wouldn't work...
  6. Windows 10 Oem to New motherboard and hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Oem to New motherboard and hard drive: Is it possible to transfer oem windows 10 if it is upgrade from windows 7? My brother is upgrading his computer to a Ryzen build with a ssd and has a windows 10 home key from amazon that was oem. Is it possible to then take that same key and use it with new hardware?...
  7. Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #: Hello, I have an old laptop that originally came with Windows 7 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have just replaced the original HDD with an SSD and am trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the OEM license key. I am planning on selling it, therefore the procedure of...
  8. Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive

Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive: I'm installing a new hard drive on a PC hard drive that failed, it was upgrade from windows 7 to 10, can I reuse the license? and if so, do I have to install window 7 first then upgrade or just install windows 10? what are the steps to do this, do contact Microsoft?...
  9. Windows 10 hard drive failure and license to new drive

Windows 10 hard drive failure and license to new drive: My laptop has a hard drive that is failing. It is running Windows 10. I have downloaded the ISO, but need to know how to activate the license on the new drive. Thanks!...
  10. Restore Windows 10 license on new SSD hard drive

Restore Windows 10 license on new SSD hard drive: Hi! I want to change my laptop's hard drive for an SSD unit. I just want to make sure that my original Windows 10 license can be transferred with no issues to the new hard drive. Is that possible? Thank you very much!...