Windows 10: New Hard Drive. Will it still activate okay

Discus and support New Hard Drive. Will it still activate okay in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a removable SSD as my windows drive to boot from. It has issues and I can't change any IP stuff on any of the network adaptors because I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by veldthui, Dec 21, 2015.

1. veldthui Win User

New Hard Drive. Will it still activate okay

I have a removable SSD as my windows drive to boot from. It has issues and I can't change any IP stuff on any of the network adaptors because I can't remove the VMWare Bridge Protocol.
    I have ordered a new SSD same brand and size. I plan to pull the old drive out (was upgraded from Win8.1 to Win 10) and pop the new drive in and start fresh. The other drive is there in case it does not work and I can just pop it back in.

Plan to do a fresh install of Win 10. Now the question is will it activate okay and keep the other disk activated as well or will it fail to activate? I want to keep the old drive fully operational till I have everything transferred which may take a while.

Thanks.

:)

veldthui, Dec 21, 2015
  2. josht2002 Win User

Would I be able to get a free product key from microsoft if my hard drive fails?

Okay so I say I've installed windows 10 onto a new hard drive(using the usb), but using the same components, skipped the steps for entering the activation key, and as soon as I log into my microsoft account, windows automatically activates?

josht2002, Dec 21, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Would swapping HDs mess up the MBR?

No problems for activation. Your computer will still activate, whether with the new or old hard drive. You'll only fail to activate if you change the motherboard, because a computer with a new motherboard is considered a new computer for the purposes of
    activation.

BulldogXX, Dec 21, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi veldthui,

Yes it will activate as the MS servers will recognise your system and know you have previously activated W10 on it. Make sure you skip the activation step during installation of W10 and leave it to do it itself once you have finished.

philc43, Dec 21, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it should do.. I've switched HDD's, no problem. If all else fails, talk to Uncle Microsoft, making sure you have a valid key to quote.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New Hard Drive. Will it still activate okay - Similar Threads - Hard Drive still

2. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  3. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  4. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. New hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New hard drive: My old hard drive in my Acer laptop was stuck in a desktop refresh loop. I took a hard drive from a dell desktop and installed it into my Acer laptop. It boots fine, but none of the drivers work. I can't update them or reinstall them to get them to work. I can't connect to...
  6. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  7. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  8. Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive

Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive: I installed a new hard drive. Now my windows 10 Home will not activate. According to my old drive "Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account." With the new Hard Drive I get the following message: "We found a Windows 10 digital...
  9. New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Hard Drive: I am looking to replace my current hard drive with a better one, and I am unsure on where to go/what to do on going about to install Windows 10 (Pro, to be exact.) back onto my PC with the new hard drive. Where would I go to download an installer and what would I do? I have a...
  10. Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk

Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk: Recently, my computer stopped booting and I found out the HDD was busted. I got a new (blank) one and I'm gonna be installing win10 on it, but I'm worried about activating it. Will I have to buy it? I doubt I can find my original key (my computer came with windows on it from...