Windows 10: New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation

Discus and support New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Five year old Dell XPS 8900 desktop with OEM Win10. I immediately added a 240 GB SanDisk SSD as my (C:/) Windows drive and put (most) all my data on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BIC, Oct 11, 2020.

1. BIC
    BIC Win User

New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation

Five year old Dell XPS 8900 desktop with OEM Win10. I immediately added a 240 GB SanDisk SSD as my (C:/) Windows drive and put (most) all my data on the OEM 1TB Seagate HDD (D:/ drive). Turns out there's a small bit of data I'd like to recover from old C drive, but nothing urgent now.

Windows died. I tried various tools suggested here with minimal success (I did get Ubundu to work in some capacity, but not well enough). Ran over to Best Buy today and got a PNY 120GB SSD for $19.

Replaced SSD and used the official Microsoft Win10 ISO on a thumb drive. Seems to install OK until the part where it says "Windows needs to restart to continue." After restarting, seems to want to begin install again. I tried both pulling thumb drive and leaving thumb drive. No difference, won't continue install. I am in Legacy Boot with the PNY at the top of the boot list. Says "selected boot device failed." Please see attached screenshots. Says max 5 images, I'll add more in another post. Thanks.

:)

2. Tim B285 Win User

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Win10 empty hard drive

My hard drive which had win10 died. Since it was an out of warranty dell and I don't seem to have any install disks fr win 8, I was trying to make an iso on a flash drive to install on the new drive. However, EVERY time I use the win10 media tool I get
    that 08XXXX error. It will download, just not create the usb drive key.

Any suggestion?

Matthew770, Oct 11, 2020
  4. New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation

Problems installing new hard drive

Hello,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation

1. New hard drive, Win10 ISO won't complete installation - Similar Threads - hard drive Win10

2. new hard drive install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    new hard drive install: Trying to install another hard drive into my PC, but I don't want to erase the data on the drive. How can I do this? submitted by /u/theflyingpanini [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v65o3o/new_hard_drive_install/
  3. Installing new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing new hard drive.: When in disk management it says my drive needs to be formatted then a few minutes latter it says unable to format disk it is a WD10 red 3.5 inch hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-new-hard-drive/bd54e110-b1e4-47b8-8a30-f6383eb008f7
  4. Windows10 Fails to Complete Install on New Hard Drive

Windows10 Fails to Complete Install on New Hard Drive: Recently the HD on my Lenovo Thinkcenter Edge 71/1578 desktop died. I bought a replacement new hard drive and, following the directions on the MS site, created a USB with an installation of Windows10 1909. The installation beings just fine; I select Windows10 pro [which...
  5. I'm trying to install Win10 to a new hard drive.

I'm trying to install Win10 to a new hard drive.: I get a message about required partition missing. I put the hard drive onto a USB adapter and put a NTFS partition on it but still no joy. What's the story on "required partition" and how do I fix it?...
  6. Installing a new hard drive

Installing a new hard drive: I have a hard drive failure, I have installed a new 1t hard drive and need to reinstall my OS. The computer did not come with install disks. it is a Toshiba C50 series How is this accomplished?...
  7. Installed New Hard Drive

Installed New Hard Drive: I have recently installed a new hard drive in my computer. I would like to know what do I need to do now to put Windows 10 back on my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-new-hard-drive/f1db2a19-671d-4b48-bc26-6843d6b4ad65
  8. Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive

Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive: My hard drive on my pc has gone bad. I updated my win7 ultimate during major change to win 10. What do I do once I have replaced my hard drive. 124273
  9. Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive: My hard drive on my pc has gone bad. I updated my win7 ultimate during major change to win 10. What do I do once I have replaced my hard drive. 124273
  10. Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?

Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?: Hi All, A few days ago I got a new Win8.1 laptop that I smoothly upgraded to Win10. This laptop now shows as being registered with Microsoft. I just now purchased a 250GB SSD that will arrive in a week or so. I want to install Win10 on this new drive. A friend just gave me a...