Windows 10: New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

Discus and support New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mustachio, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR or UEFI.

Tried using an external case w/usb but W10 does not see the drive. I can disconnect the W10 HDD and swap in the 1TB w/has 7 home and it will boot up.

I don't want to FDISK, just want a quick format of the C: partition on this 1TB so I can use it as a DATA drive. HUBCD 15 won't load Gparted correctly.

Not sure how to proceed. I'll try downloading an older Hiren's or see what else I have in my toolbag. Wondering why W10 says disk isn't initialized and what hoop I'll have to jump through to quick format this thing : (

Thanks for any help,

:)

Mustachio, Mar 11, 2019

2. External HDD or Internal HDD?

I'm contemplating whether or not if I should purchase a external hard drive for saving all of my work, music, photo's backup etc, instead of saving it on my pc hd. Now the problem is external hdd vs internal hdd's longevity, hardware differences, file corruption typically on external hdd's or flash drives. Is it a mistake saving personal stuff separate from the pc or are ex hdd as good as internal? I've had experiences loosing my stuff because of viruses, hdd failure and lack of prior experience not partitioning my hdd *Smile New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally :)

omiknight52, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Sandy_UK Win User
    DiskManagement does not show internal HDD in W10

I assume this happened after this last week's updates.

I use Acronis for backup and backup my partitions. Last Sunday, after installing I was able to perform my scheduled backup to an external HDD.

Today the backup failed. The reason was that the only available HDD was my external backup drive. I checked Disk Management and my internal drive, with two partitions, is not shown! I have every removable drive but no internal one.

I can see and open both internal drive partitions in File Manager and This Computer. I can perform a file backup, but Disk and Partition Backup (which also allows me to clone my disk) no longer works. Instead I am taken to a window very similar to Windows
    Backup to select files, but I bought Acronis because it enables me to restore my system, including al programs, if my HDD fails or I have catastrophic corruption. I have used this facility once after a series of power cuts corrupting the disk and although
    it took a long time to restore, I recovered everything.

Now, since last Sunday morning, I cannot perform a disk and partition backup as the only disk shown is my backup disk and need to be able to access the source partitions (my internal Windows and Data partitions) in order to perform this operation. The only
    option available to me now failed because a part of my AV could not be copied.

Is this an unwanted 'feature' or will it be fixed?

I can't access my internal drive in Disk Management from the Computer Management snap-in on Windows 10 Pro now. Only removable drives are shown!

Is there, or is there likely to be, a fix so my internal drive exists in the Management Console again?

Sandy_UK, Mar 11, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally - Similar Threads - HDD show W10

2. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?: Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and physically replace it??Full picture:I've got a laptop with a faulty HDD that is going out.I'm buying a new HDDWhen I get the...
  3. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?: Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and physically replace it??Full picture:I've got a laptop with a faulty HDD that is going out.I'm buying a new HDDWhen I get the...
  4. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine: I have 2 computers, one with w10 and the other with W11.When I put an USB port to w11 it reads fine, but when I connect and external HDD it wont.... the thing is that on my other laptop with W10 the external HDD works fine., all HDD that I connect on my W11 are not showing on...
  6. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 usb port are fine: I have 2 computers, one with w10 and the other with W11.When I put an USB port to w11 it reads fine, but when I connect and external HDD it wont.... the thing is that on my other laptop with W10 the external HDD works fine., all HDD that I connect on my W11 are not showing on...
  7. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  8. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  9. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD: Hey guys, I'm new to ten forums but I've been on seven forums for a while but upgraded. Here is my issue I want to mirror one of my internal HDDs to my external HDD. Then I want to run my computer off of the external HDD so I can RAID my only two internal HDDs. Then...
  10. New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops.

New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops.: My intention of using the HDD is to have it "mobile" and move it from my W7 desktop, W10 laptop, W10 insider and W10 RTM machines for storing images etc. It work's as expected when connected to W7 and my W10 laptop. It will not however work with either of my W10 desktop...