Windows 10: New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops.

Discus and support New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My intention of using the HDD is to have it "mobile" and move it from my W7 desktop, W10 laptop, W10 insider and W10 RTM machines for storing images... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by meebers, Dec 23, 2015.

1. meebers Win User

New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops.

My intention of using the HDD is to have it "mobile" and move it from my W7 desktop, W10 laptop, W10 insider and W10 RTM machines for storing images etc. It work's as expected when connected to W7 and my W10 laptop. It will not however work with either of my W10 desktop machines. i.e. when connected, it says the disk must be initialized before it can be recognized. I am using usb type connections, but I am guessing??? initializing will render the data on there now as useless? Appreciate any suggestions/workarounds Tx

:)

meebers, Dec 23, 2015

2. Windows 10 Not Reading Disk

My windows 10 desktop just had a new hdd placed in it and it wont show up in the file explorer, but shows up in disk management as a nameless file and has no file type. This is the same for 2 other hdd. If anyone has an answer, please reply.

DustinWoods, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Install and activate windows 10 After HDD Faiure

I know I'm not the first person to have this problem but I've looked around this site and haven't been able to find an answer.

Several years ago I purchased at Desktop PC with Windows 7 installed. I upgraded to Win 7 Pro using a microsoft provided license key. A few months ago I upgraded to Win 10. all was well until the HDD failed. I made a recovery thumb drive on my W10 laptop.
    Booted the desktop on the drive and sure enough, Drive C does not exist but the other hard drives do show up. I bought and installed a new 1 TB HDD. The recovery thumb drive seems to see it (hard to tell because it is empty). How do I reinstall W10 on the
    new disk and how do I find a product key to activate it?

Doug

DougBechtel, Dec 23, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

I had that happen once and moved all the data off the drive onto another for safety then initialized it on the computer that gave the message. It worked as before on all computers so I didn't have to move the data back.

Berton, Dec 23, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Some of the old USB interface firmware might be incompatible with Windows 10. You might have to buy a new one. They are pretty inexpensive.

topgundcp, Dec 24, 2015
  6. meebers Win User
    Ok, can go with that, but, it does work with my W10 laptop. I can recall that I have had usb sticks not show the data on them when switching between W7 and W10.

I would like to get my home network working between machines, in the hope that Macrium will do images that way without having to physically move the HDD. I guess further, that I could probably write the image locally and then copy/paste it over the home network to where the HDD location is.

meebers, Dec 24, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Dec 24, 2015
  8. meebers Win User

Thank you for that. Mine is an older one, usb2 only made by Bytecc BT 300. I have used it so long, perhaps it is just wore out? New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops. :)

Although it is a PIT*, I removed the side cover and connected the HDD via sata cable to MB. W10 recognized it immediately, the W7 images were there as expected and was able to image both my W10 insider drive and my W10 rtm drive. Tx for suggestion and the link!

meebers, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New HDD wont show as initialized with W10 desktops. - Similar Threads - HDD wont show

2. HDD drives not initializing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives not initializing: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  3. New Sabrent USB CDROM wont initialize or show in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Sabrent USB CDROM wont initialize or show in Windows Explorer: Tried all of the messages and and help. Finally did this: Go to Command Prompt. Diskpart List vol Choose the volume that shows as nothing vol x for example sel vol x assign letter t choose your drive letter that you want exit...
  4. 8tb hdd issue with initializing

8tb hdd issue with initializing: So tried initializing the HDD but an error pops up saying “theres an I/O device error.” Tried everything i could, went to youtube for answers, asked a buddy etc and nothing still. Its a brand new HDD and also i have windows 10. Tried updating it but its already up to...
  5. HDD Initializing issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Initializing issue: Hi, so I just spend roughly $5500 on a new pc which has been working pretty great except for random freezing from time to time, the entire computer just kind of slows down then turns off then when I turn my pc back on my second HDD has vanished from my computer and when...
  6. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  7. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  8. Initial Startup of New Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Initial Startup of New Desktop: I just bought a new HP Pavilion 590-p0050 desktop PC. I have never started a new computer for the first time. In the past I have always paid a technician to do this. This is not feasible this time. Could someone steer me to a ny type of guide or instructions on how to go...
  9. hdd not initialized

hdd not initialized: hdd not initialized just says disk 6 unknown I tried different usb ports with no success.there are files on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hdd-not-initialized/d5b99338-fc73-4d7d-b95c-71a7e6f8b1fc
  10. New Hdd windows 10 wont activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Hdd windows 10 wont activate: Hi guys. I just replace my hdd after the old one fail on me.The old hdd was window 7 upgraded to 10 and was also activate,i also made, a usb w10 back up too.(call me noobie *Homer Drooling)I needed up using the back up usb to install window 10 and also the old w10 cd key on...