Windows 10: New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work

Discus and support New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; New devices from HP and ASUS are instantly on, always connected with incredible battery life Throughout the history of personal computing, a steady... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work

Source: Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work - Windows Experience Blog

:)

Brink, Dec 4, 2017
  2. JohnTCI Win User

Windows 8.1 phone not appearing in Microsoft Account?

In total there are 7 devices linked/tied to my Microsoft Account (2 Nokia Lumia 635 phones, 1 Surface RT, 2 HP laptops and 2 Asus PCs).

Up to a week ago, all 7 appeared in the "Device" list, albeit with some v. strange names, which made it extremely difficult to identify/distinguish between them. So, with the exception of the Surface RT, I renamed the other 6 (including the 2 phones whilst
    connected to a PC via USB cable).

Strangely, 1 of the phones, 1 of the HP laptops and 1 of the Asus PCs reappeared with their new names almost immediately. However, after 2 days the other 3 hadn't changed so I "removed" them. After another 2 days, the 2nd laptop and the 2nd PC had reappeared,
    with their new names . . . or, better said, close to their new names.

However, although it is working perfectly, the most frequently used phone has not "reappeared".

The only difference between the 2 phones is that the one that hasn't reappeared is running Denim and the other was running Cyan. Don't think that this difference has anything to do with it as I have subsequently enrolled the latter into Windows Insider and
    "upgraded" it; first to Denim and then to Windows 10 . . . and it has always appeared in all 3 guises.

Obviously, if the Microsoft account can't see it, the "Find my Phone" option is redundant.

Therefore, any suggestions would be appreciated to either, (i) "force" the Microsoft account to "look for, see and/or recognise" the missing phone or (ii) change a setting on the phone itself to enable it to be "seen" (although I think I have tried all the
    obvious ones).

Thanks in advance.

JohnTCI, Dec 4, 2017
  3. StefGrunn Win User
    Windows 10 compatibility problem - Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter in Asus X205TA

The work-around to get an internetconnection in spite of the failing adapter: Connect a smartphone and the Asus-device with a USB-cable. Permanently enably ‘ tethering by USB’ in the settings of the smartphone and
    install a new network on the device.

It wil give you internetconnection as long as the smartphone is connected to the device. It’s ugly, but at least you can work…

StefGrunn, Dec 4, 2017
  4. New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work

Smart phones that aren't phones? Not knocking it, that's just what comes to mind when giving it a quick read. So it's Windows on Arm? I see Snapdragon mentioned for both. I shouldn't read this stuff so early in the morning with no coffee in me, lol.

alphanumeric, Dec 5, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    The main issue in UK at least is getting a 4G plan that is low enough cost. Many mobile phone plans allow pretty unlimited 4G access from phone relatively cheaply but you normally are limited to say 4GB per month to tether pc to it.

If you want more, it costs more than the UK GDP to buy data sims or topup allowances.

I am certain UK mobile companies will not allow unlimited data usage on for such devices.

cereberus, Dec 5, 2017
  6. My take on it, is its more for corporate customers than consumers. Or at least that's who they are pushing it to. How much data transfer is there if all the files etc your working on are on the companies cloud storage? Asking because I'm so far out of the loop it isn't funny, lol. < laughs anyway. *Smile

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

4G unlimited data usage isn't normally available for any sensible price (if at all) in the UK - goodness knows what will happen if and when they roll out 5G (Probably a Y3K --"Year 3000") project judging by very poor 4G coverage generally in UK. 5G will eat up typical users allowance in about 3 mins flat when they download 1 decent 4K movie !!!!

When I visit U.K I'm OK because my home provider has decent 4G unlimited plans as do most of Nordic countries and N.Europe. Roaming is still Free for EU / EEA countries (Iceland is EEA).

After Brexit ????? but that's their problem.

I'm also in principle against "Always on devices" --if it's switched off nobody can access it when I'm not using it.
    Security needs to be a lot better and also from a typical conservation point of view --even though energy usage may be minimal we should really think about turning OFF resources that we aren't actually consuming at the time.

With these devices too how do you do a complete system re-set when an invariable a system hang occurs and you do need a total COLD re-boot.

What also happens say you have one of these always on devices and you are in say the "Royal Opera House" in London or similar and the wretched device becomes active with you having no way to turn it off !!!! I can see people becoming quite unpopular with this type of hardware.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 5, 2017
  8. New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work

I do believe "always on" means if you want to, not a no choice situation. It can be "always on" but doesn't have to be. I would think even if they were "always on" there would have to be an "airplane mode". That should stop any annoyances in places like an opera house.

9. Hi,
    Fast start 3 or 4.0 *Smile
    Just with the latest FCU you could see this type of stuff coming since the start button power options are now bookmarking instead of doing what is listed.

I have never really like the inability to remove a battery especially on a windows os seeing it's a last ditched effort to reset or kill what ever borks it from malware.....

Iphone well they seem more stable so they may get away with it but windows has always been to buggy to eventually have to do it.

ThrashZone, Dec 5, 2017
  10. alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work

1. New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work - Similar Threads - ASUS Always Connected

2. New HP Computer - TPM Not Detected but Enabled in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New HP Computer - TPM Not Detected but Enabled in BIOS: Apologies but the following is a copy paste from HP forum that I just made, still unsure if this is an HP or Windows issue. I appreciate any help on this!Brand new computer, I was only able to diagnose this because the game Valorant requires TPM 2.0 to play and it has so...
  3. Cloning of new PCs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning of new PCs: We have recently taken delivery of 10 new Dell Windows 10 PCs. I spent over 2 hours setting up and configuring one and don't really want to spend that amount of time on each. I have looked at some articles about cloning PCs, but none have given me the confidence to do it....
  4. New Router Working with Internet but not PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Router Working with Internet but not PCs: Hi I seem to have a problem which on the face of it is purely due to installing a new up-to-date router. Prior to installing the router all PCs had access to the other two PCs on our network; lets call them A, B and C. Since installing the router I only have two way access...
  5. Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?: I just bought a new HP ProBook and I've just noticed it is supplied with Bitlocker enabled on the system drive. I only use the laptop in a secure location for general home PC use. Are there any disadvantages of keeping Bitlocker enabled on the drive? Macrium Reflect works OK...
  6. New Firefox Beta for Windows 10 ARM64 Always Connected PCs

in Windows 10 News
    New Firefox Beta for Windows 10 ARM64 Always Connected PCs: Whether it’s checking the weather forecast or movie times, you can always count on the web to give you the information you’re seeking. Your choice of operating system and computer shouldn’t change your online experience. As part of Mozilla’s mission, we built Firefox as a...
  7. HP launches new Spectre and EliteBook convertible PCs

in Windows 10 News
    HP launches new Spectre and EliteBook convertible PCs: HP Inc. launched on Tuesday a lineup of new devices combining premium design, security and performance. HP created its latest Spectre and Elite innovations to take PC experiences to the next level by enabling creativity, connectivity and confidence throughout the day. They...
  8. First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed

in Windows 10 News
    First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed: Laptop Magazine and The Verge have come out with the first reviews of the new generation of Always Connected ARM-based PCs and they're strongly mixed. Indeed, they do have amazing battery life. But both sources mention that Win32 apps -- most notably, Chrome, but also...
  9. CES 2018 - New Intel Powered Always Connected PCs

in Windows 10 News
    CES 2018 - New Intel Powered Always Connected PCs: In an increasingly connected mobile world, there is an expectation that our PCs should be always-connected and always-on. This week at 2018 CES, our partners have announced a number of exciting new Intel® Core™ processor- and Intel® XMMTM modem-powered always-connected PCs:...
  10. Cortana brings Cultural Savviness to New Markets

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana brings Cultural Savviness to New Markets: Our teams in Redmond have been working hard on the upcoming launch of Windows 10. For my team, that means building the first digital personal assistant in a way that is truly meaningful to individuals globally. As the Group Program Manager for Cortana, I’m excited to share...