Windows 10: New HP laptop stuck at "preparing to reset". Windows 10 Home in S mode

Discus and support New HP laptop stuck at "preparing to reset". Windows 10 Home in S mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Tenforums, Here is my issue. I want to return to the store a new laptop. I only used it one time. I turned it on, went thru the welcome prompts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Azyardies, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Azyardies Win User

New HP laptop stuck at "preparing to reset". Windows 10 Home in S mode

Hello Tenforums,
    Here is my issue. I want to return to the store a new laptop.
    I only used it one time. I turned it on, went thru the welcome prompts & Microsoft account set up, etc.
    So I read on how to reset in windows in settings recovery. I chose for it to reset everything & reinstall Windows since I won't be keeping the pc.. I read it would take hours, I walked away & came back 45 min later only to see it is stuck in "preparing to reset ", Status Downloading-32%. This device will automatically re-start.

I started at 4:00 pm. 3.5 hours have gone by and it's still in the same place. Mouse won't work. It's plugged into the electricity.
    I can wait overnight to see if something changes by morning.
    But if not, what can I do?
    Please see screen shot.
    Please advise, thanks in advance.

:)

Azyardies, Nov 8, 2020

2. My HP laptop is stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair has been for many hours

Hello Sarah,

I'd like to verify if you're computer is still stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair state. If not, I'd suggest to perform the steps below:

1. Force shutdown your laptop, check first if your computer will boot normally. If not, after your computer restarts several times. you'll see the Windows 10 Boot Options menu.

2. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options.

3. Choose Command Prompt, copy and paste the commands below and press Enter the after each line:

• bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 8, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Resetting my HP laptop

Since it is a new HP laptop and you want to reset it, instead of using the Windows 10 Reset, why not use the HP Factory Restore application, it should be located on your Start Menu - the alphabetical list - scroll down to the HP suite of apps and look
    for recovery . . .

DaveM121, Nov 8, 2020
  4. mike s Win User

hp laptop/tablet. win 10 reset loop, no legacy mode to use usb.

What happens if you disable secure boot (second line of boot options, listed on your screen shot as ENABLED in blue).
    Perhaps then the option to enable legacy mode or CSM might appear.

The right half of your screen shot talks about boot priorities in both UEFI and legacy modes, so it must be in there somewhere.

mike s, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

1. New HP laptop stuck at "preparing to reset". Windows 10 Home in S mode - Similar Threads - laptop stuck preparing

2. Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair And I tried everything that has been posted previously regarding this same issue. Something I did got me out of the loop and sent me to a Black Startup menu screen. I googled for the next hour which option to choose with no luck...
  3. Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair And I tried everything that has been posted previously regarding this same issue. Something I did got me out of the loop and sent me to a Black Startup menu screen. I googled for the next hour which option to choose with no luck...
  4. New HP Chromebook, Windows 11 Home, trying to remove s mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New HP Chromebook, Windows 11 Home, trying to remove s mode: I went to settings, activation, go to store. When I press the get button in the Microsoft store a.popup appears and disappears too quickly to do anything...
  5. New HP Chromebook, Windows 11 Home, trying to remove s mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New HP Chromebook, Windows 11 Home, trying to remove s mode: I went to settings, activation, go to store. When I press the get button in the Microsoft store a.popup appears and disappears too quickly to do anything...
  6. windows 10 stuck on preparing to reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 stuck on preparing to reset: my computer has me crashing a lot so I thought I might reset it . it is now stuck on 51% on preparing to reset. Can anyone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-stuck-on-preparing-to-reset/487fee79-38c6-4f10-94fd-1524087eb51d
  7. Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hp laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: After installing ea desktop and nfs heatnot sure if this is relevant about a week ago my laptop began to be slow when booting up and after about 5 days it was unable to boot up and was stuck on preparing automatic repair on third try at booting up. It opened a troubleshoot...
  8. S mode HP laptop

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    S mode HP laptop: Hello, I just got a HP laptop for my daughter and it came with a S mode, I try everything to get out of that but always show me an error " Try later" blah blah and doesn't let me add her printer, doesn't let me download anything. Help please!...
  9. HP laptop stuck in S Mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HP laptop stuck in S Mode?: Windows 10 has the safe mode and im confused on how to switch out, when I go to setting and go to the activation page there is no “Get Windows 10” like one YouTube video showed on how to get it out Hp Pavillion submitted by /u/fucadav [link] [comments]...
  10. Stuck in Windows 10 Home S Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck in Windows 10 Home S Mode: New Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home in S Mode -updated to latest version of Windows version 1903 through Windows Update -Went to Microsoft Store and went through process of updating Get button opened popups to continue, had to log into Windows Account -Popups went away -...