Windows 10: New HP Laptop Win10 Cannot move icons to desktop or Taskbar

Discus and support New HP Laptop Win10 Cannot move icons to desktop or Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Very disappointed with Win 10 on my new HP laptop. Basic fundamentals such as moving apps / icons from Start to my desktop are impossible. Can't drag.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mark0525, Dec 5, 2019.

1. mark0525 Win User

New HP Laptop Win10 Cannot move icons to desktop or Taskbar

Very disappointed with Win 10 on my new HP laptop. Basic fundamentals such as moving apps / icons from Start to my desktop are impossible. Can't drag. Can't Right click as no option to Move. Solutions offered via search all fail. Too late to return it but very frustrated. Any suggestions? Thanks.

:)

mark0525, Dec 5, 2019
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Yaqub K Win User
    System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Dec 5, 2019
  4. New HP Laptop Win10 Cannot move icons to desktop or Taskbar

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

New HP Laptop Win10 Cannot move icons to desktop or Taskbar

1. New HP Laptop Win10 Cannot move icons to desktop or Taskbar - Similar Threads - Laptop Win10 Cannot

2. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Moving: Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on....
  3. move an often used icon from desktop to taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    move an often used icon from desktop to taskbar?: Question 1. A right click on the amazon.com icon on my desktop does not offer the 'pin to taskbar' option. Also am unable to move the icon from address bar via 'drag and drop'. Can I manually get back the 'pin to taskbar' option? Question 2. Many icons created as...
  4. move a Icon from taskbar to desktop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    move a Icon from taskbar to desktop: Move a Icon from taskbar and pace it on my desktop . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-a-icon-from-taskbar-to-desktop/968a7476-d68c-440f-afad-e6b6658e21ce
  5. Moving icons on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving icons on Taskbar: So, just recently I've noticed that Windows keeps moving my open taskbar icons to the right-hand end of the queue without any input from me. Foe example, if I open a video in Opera, with the icon to the left of a group of icons, go to full-screen, and then go back to...
  6. Battery Icon gone from Taskbar on Win10, HP Envy Laptop

Battery Icon gone from Taskbar on Win10, HP Envy Laptop: This happened sometime recently, a few weeks ago. The battery icon just simply disappeared from my taskbar, and the settings to make it appear do not change this. I looked at the following: Under Settings->Battery, it says, "no notifications for battery life right now"...
  7. Moving Taskbar to side moves all desktop icons. How to prevent that?

Moving Taskbar to side moves all desktop icons. How to prevent that?: So I move the taskbar from the bottom to the right, because it helps me when trying to code vs playing a video game in windowed fullscreen. Normally the moved desktop icons wouldn't annoy me, because I could move the taskbar back to get them to be in the right place....
  8. Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?: Is there a way to make W10 move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? I could do this in W8.1 although I was using Start8. This has become a minor issue with W10 since when I install an update to a program (reinstall a newer version) the "old" Icon in the Taskbar...
  9. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...
  10. Windows 10 desktop 'stop' icon and cannot move icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 desktop 'stop' icon and cannot move icons: Hello all, I'm glad there is a community here that deals with Windows 10 and may be able to offer insight into my multiple issues that I am having, of which the first was this can't move icons issue. I do apologize for the multiple issues below but I just wanted to give...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to move win10 files to desktop

2. how do i get an app icon onto start screen on hp tablet

3. how to add icon to taskbar on hp

4. how to pin to taskbar hp laptop if you cant right click,
  5. reinstall hp laptop icons in winwons10