Windows 10: New install, do I need a separate admin and user account?

Discus and support New install, do I need a separate admin and user account? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I’m doing a new windows 10 install. Is it still wise to have a user account that you use daily and a separate admin account even if you’re the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Voyyagr, Feb 19, 2021.

1. New install, do I need a separate admin and user account?

Hello, I’m doing a new windows 10 install. Is it still wise to have a user account that you use daily and a separate admin account even if you’re the only one using the pc?

Also, when initially installing all updates and drivers and various programs and browsers, should I be logged into the admin account or does it matter? I understand I’d have to type the admin pw quite a lot if installing from the user account. Just wondering what the difference is if any.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Voyyagr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Voyyagr, Feb 19, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Feb 19, 2021
  4. New install, do I need a separate admin and user account?

admin and user account in laptop

The problem is that my system has only one account that too is user account with no administrative permission, the way you suggested it will require admin account.

Now how can i make a new admin account or make that existing user account as the admin .

sachinagrawal2, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

New install, do I need a separate admin and user account?

1. New install, do I need a separate admin and user account? - Similar Threads - install need separate

2. Do I need a separate admin account in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need a separate admin account in Windows 11?: My own account has admin privileges, but I have a separate Admin account in addition to the built in Administrator account. Not sure I recall creating it to b e honest.Do I need this separate account?...
  3. Do I need a separate admin account in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need a separate admin account in Windows 11?: My own account has admin privileges, but I have a separate Admin account in addition to the built in Administrator account. Not sure I recall creating it to b e honest.Do I need this separate account?...
  4. Separate users - but I need separate apps too

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Separate users - but I need separate apps too: Firstly, not 100% sure if this is the right category. I haven't got it listed as a family, but as a separate user.One is my personal account which has been on here for a year, full of games and productivity reducing fun stuff. The second is my 'work/study' account with my...
  5. Separate users - but I need separate apps too

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate users - but I need separate apps too: Firstly, not 100% sure if this is the right category. I haven't got it listed as a family, but as a separate user.One is my personal account which has been on here for a year, full of games and productivity reducing fun stuff. The second is my 'work/study' account with my...
  6. Separate users - but I need separate apps too

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Do we "need" a separate admin account?

Do we "need" a separate admin account?: I used to do this on my Win7 machines, pretty much because the internet told me I should. Is this still recommended practice? Some forum folks have said no, arguing that UAC provides the same protection. But that might have been with the caveat of UAC cranked to the max, I...
  8. Do we "need" a separate admin account?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do we "need" a separate admin account?: I used to do this on my Win7 machines, pretty much because the internet told me I should. Is this still recommended practice? Some forum folks have said no, arguing that UAC provides the same protection. But that might have been with the caveat of UAC cranked to the max, I...
  9. Separate user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Separate user accounts: Why set up separate user accounts? I was expecting that each user could have different program icons on their home screen to simplify their use of the PC, but all icons are the same on screens and task bars. Also, is there a way to hide or turn off the brightly colored...
  10. New Laptop do I need another User Account as well as Admin thats on it

New Laptop do I need another User Account as well as Admin thats on it: I have just got a new Laptop The account already on it is called Admin. Do I need to set up an Account in my name also? I just want local one if I do. 93240