Windows 10: New install on clean hardware, 64bit, endless black screen on reboot

Discus and support New install on clean hardware, 64bit, endless black screen on reboot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win 10 installs and opens the first time. Once it gets reset (it automatically starts downloading updates and requires a reset), it boots back to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10sx, Oct 3, 2015.

1. win10sx Win User

New install on clean hardware, 64bit, endless black screen on reboot

Win 10 installs and opens the first time. Once it gets reset (it automatically starts downloading updates and requires a reset), it boots back to a black screen where nothing happens. I tried repair, etc. from the Win10 installation DVD, but it gives me an error. I have deleted all content on the HD and done a clean install at least 10 times. I have tried DDU (driver display uninstaller), and that was able to boot once, but required another reboot, during which it said "Unable to install updates, removing updates" (windows updates, not DDU updates) or something like that. Then it booted to a black screen again.

This is a brand new build with SSD, HDD, ODD, and GTX 970. I have downloaded the latest 970 driver from Nvidia web site, tried installing from Nvidia CD, tried DDU then GEforce Experience, etc. All ultimately end in black screen on reboot.

I can boot into safe mode if I go into msconfig on first initial boot at the completion of installation. If I don't do safe mode, I get black screen on next normal mode reboot no matter what I do.

Thanks in advance!

:)

win10sx, Oct 3, 2015

2. Windows 10 has broken my PC!

I installed Win 10 on a Gateway PC running Win 8.1. The install seemed to be ok after reboot - got to login page, entered password, got to desktop...and thus began an endless cycle of the screen flashing black then showing the desktop wallpaper without icons
    (meanwhile the cursor appears with a spinning blue circle next to it). I have rebooted several times using task manager but the same thing happens.

Does anybody know how to fix this ?

RobMiyashiro, Oct 3, 2015
  3. johanbbbe Win User
    Black screen on trying a clean install of Windows 10, with TPM warning

Hello Greg,

indeed ,it was windows 8,but no problem with the free upgrade to windows 10,even not with the anniversary-update,everything works fine.I did not to have to do something special ,the program was installing itselves with the windows-assistant.

I think i killed my old motherboard with a "free program-updater",everybody should avoid these things.

Kind regards

johan

johanbbbe, Oct 3, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

It's probably the graphics driver. Boot into safe mode and see what it is in Device Manager (search for it). If it is Microsoft, it means that Windows Update decided the nVidia driver is old or incompatible with Windows 10 and replaced with a Microsoft driver instead. Try to run the setup or manually install the nVidia driver. While in Control Panel, expand the display adapters list by clicking on the +. Then choose your graphics card, right click and select Properties. Now click on the Driver tab. Driver provider should be nVidia not Microsoft. To manually install the nVidia drivers, click the Update driver button. Always select last option until you see a "Have disk" button. Press that button and browse to the folder where the driver files are extracted (usually in This Computer, C:, nVidia folder). Then you should be presented with the model that is most compatible to your hardware. Click on it and proceed with the installation. Reboot and you should be OK.

Another cause of your problem is probably that the chosen display settings (resolution and color depth) are incompatibile with your monitor, hence you see a black screen instead of the desktop. This happens rarely and it is because Windows didn't identify the monitor correctly, so it tries to set an unsupported resolution. To see if this is your case, reboot some times until you see the troubleshoot screen. Choose advance boot options and then the one that says "Low Resolution" or similar. This will start Windows in 800x600 mode and then you can adjust the resolution to match your display. To adjust it right-click on the desktop and select Display Settings. Scroll down and select Advanced Display Settings. Change the resolution to the native one of your monitor. If unsure, change it and see if you get a picture. If you do reply yes in the relevant question and try the next resolution. When you set your monitor to the native resolution you will realize that the desktop is very sharp while other resolutions may blur a little.

spapakons, Oct 3, 2015
  5. win10sx Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Your second paragraph gave me an idea, and it turned out to be a two fold problem.

1) The 970 driver was being automatically updated by Windows to a not-up-to-date version that would not let it boot correctly.

2) The display settings were off somehow and it was apparently booting OK but displaying on a secondary device that was turned off and setting the computer monitor as secondary. This resulted in a black screen on my computer monitor. I was able to fix it by pushing Windows key + P and changing the default display settings.

Thanks again.

win10sx, Oct 7, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Technical issues like these can drive you crazy... Happy who know the cause of things, Romans said.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New install on clean hardware, 64bit, endless black screen on reboot - Similar Threads - install clean hardware

2. Endless black screen after updating AMD drivers on new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Endless black screen after updating AMD drivers on new PC: Hello,I built a new PC a few days ago. Everything was running fine until I decided to use AMD Adrenaline to update the drivers for the GPU for the first time. It finished, asked me to restart my PC. I did so and everything seemed fine, but about 20 seconds after getting to my...
  3. Endless black screen after updating AMD drivers on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Endless black screen after updating AMD drivers on new PC: Hello,I built a new PC a few days ago. Everything was running fine until I decided to use AMD Adrenaline to update the drivers for the GPU for the first time. It finished, asked me to restart my PC. I did so and everything seemed fine, but about 20 seconds after getting to my...
  4. Endless reboots following update installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Endless reboots following update installation: I have a computer I don't use often. I booted it up to check for updates. There were several. It was installing the last update when it just rebooted on it's own. No warning. No prompt. I thought it was just part of the update. During the reboot I expected to see the usual...
  5. Clean install on new hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on new hardware: I'm sure this has been asked many times and I can see a lot of threads similar to this but each one had some different detail about it, so I just went ahead and made a new one. I'm planning on upgrading my hardware in a few weeks, specifically : Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E...
  6. Endless Reboot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Endless Reboot: Hello everyone, I downloaded and installed the updates and, when it asked me to reboot, I did. However, I had to leave the house, so I left it to restart. When I came back almost 6 hours later I saw the black screen with the dots moving in a circle indicating some sort of...
  7. New 64bit clean install question

New 64bit clean install question: I would like to do a clean install on my wife's PC, going from Win 10 Pro 32bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit. However, she has multitudes of icons and software installed, making a clean install very difficult to say the least. I would like to copy her desktop, download folder,...
  8. New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit

New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit: Hi Everybody, In about 2-3 weeks I will get a new SSD Samsung 850 EVO Basic MZ-75E2T0 2TB to replace my too small SSD of the same brand. I am running Win 10 Pro 64-bit fully licensed and I have all the keys like Product ID, Installed Key, Original Key, Original Edition...
  9. Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor: Upgrading from windows 7 to 10, started install at around 10:30am and left it....around 2:30pm it started the large circle with the % in the centre, and again left it for another hour or so and came back to a black screen, no cursor or anything. I waited until about 7:30...
  10. Black screen after clean install

Black screen after clean install: Hi, i recently install Windows 10, search updates and install it, so Windows update install the drivers for my gtx 1060, later i restart the pc and a black screen show with only the mouse pointer... I went crazy and now i format all again... I try to install the nvidia...