Windows 10: New install, OS on ssd, cant get installations to default save on hdd drive.

Discus and support New install, OS on ssd, cant get installations to default save on hdd drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i recently installed windows on my ssd (just a small one), and was going to add 2 hdds, i changed the default save locations to the letter corrilating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thorntonmatthews, Mar 4, 2019.

1. New install, OS on ssd, cant get installations to default save on hdd drive.

i recently installed windows on my ssd (just a small one), and was going to add 2 hdds, i changed the default save locations to the letter corrilating to one of the hdd, but every time i try to install anything it still trys to save them on the ssd. Any solutions?

:)

thorntonmatthews, Mar 4, 2019
  2. Onkar HN Win User

Installing OS on SSD that's already on a HDD

Hi there,

I heard that copying/moving OS from drive to drive isn't good. I just bought a SSD for my Freshly build PC which has Windows 10 Home installed on HDD, Now I'm willing to Install Windows on SSD for great performance.

I have some questions:

1) How do I install OS on SSD whiles it's still active on HDD?

2) How to install it? (I have Windows 10 USB drive)

3) How to enable SSD in UEFI BIOS?

4) Will I lose my data on partitions of HDD?

5) Will 120 GB space of my SSD cause any problem while updating Windows?

6) After install, Would I need to contact MSFT for that 'loong' code to activate Windows? (I had to contact for that code when I reinstalled Windows on my PC from My Laptop!)

And a off-topic question:

How to rename (Re letter) a Partition? I've Optical drive names 'D' and it's between my 'C' and 'E' drive partition.

Onkar HN, Mar 4, 2019
  3. little cat, Mar 4, 2019
  4. HLL_544 Win User

New install, OS on ssd, cant get installations to default save on hdd drive.

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

New install, OS on ssd, cant get installations to default save on hdd drive.

1. New install, OS on ssd, cant get installations to default save on hdd drive. - Similar Threads - install ssd cant

2. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  3. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  4. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  6. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  7. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing new OS on new SSD.: I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD that has failed. I’d like to simply install a new SSD, and also the most up-to-date Windows OS. Since the current OS is on a failing, non-bootable drive, how do I install a new OS on a clean drive? I am not aware of any bootable OS’s on any...
  9. Installing new OS on new SSD.

Installing new OS on new SSD.: I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD that has failed. I’d like to simply install a new SSD, and also the most up-to-date Windows OS. Since the current OS is on a failing, non-bootable drive, how do I install a new OS on a clean drive? I am not aware of any bootable OS’s on any...
  10. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging