Windows 10: New Install---Trouble with admin rights

Discus and support New Install---Trouble with admin rights in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I attempted to rename a desktop shortcut. The OS provided the following message: [img] I clicked the shield button but the usual, resulting... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by markg2, Jul 31, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

New Install---Trouble with admin rights

I attempted to rename a desktop shortcut. The OS provided the following message:

New Install---Trouble with admin rights [​IMG]

I clicked the shield button but the usual, resulting permission window (yes/no) didn't load. Nothing occurred as a result of clicking the shield other than the dialogue box closing.

Then from an elevated cmd prompt I ran:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    net user conni /active:yes
    net user guest /active:yes

That didn't work--still couldn't rename the shortcut.

Then I figured I'd run file explorer as admin. Regardless of wherever I found an instance of file explorer, right clicking never had an option to run as admin.

Okay, I'll bite, what's going on?

Mark

:)

markg2, Jul 31, 2017

2. Use admin account with admin rights disabled

Hi Vincent,

We suggest that you check the article below as a guide on how to create a local user account in Windows 10.

Create a local user account in Windows 10.

Keep us posted.

Nathaniel Mon, Jul 31, 2017
  3. Use admin account with admin rights disabled

Create a new standard user account the guest account is limited.

OctavianQR, Jul 31, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Browse to the location of the QB file, (ie) C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickBooks 2017 and right click the QBPreJazz 2017 file choose Properties/Compatibility put a check in the box Run As Administrator, click OK. Then click on your shortcut.

spunk, Aug 1, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Hello. Did you upgrade from Windows 7? That seems to cause this type of permissions issue. If you have the inclination, I would suggest doing a clean format install.

swarfega, Aug 1, 2017
  6. markg2 Win User
    This was a clean install on a new drive.

Checking off the run as admin worked. However:

Renaming a desktop icon still requires you to click the elevation button and although now same acknowledges, what a stupid PITA. I have two other machines running Win10 and neither have this requirement. There must be a global way to change this characteristic? This effort implies that you have to go through this drill every time you want to change something on the drive?!

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Install---Trouble with admin rights - Similar Threads - Install Trouble admin

2. Admin trouble

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Admin trouble: I have accidentally made my self an admin on a friend's laptop. Now, how can she somehow save all the that is done on Edge, like bookmarks, and stuff before I remove my self from being an admin. She didn't have an admin on a laptop before, that's probably why I have become...
  3. Admin trouble

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin trouble: I have accidentally made my self an admin on a friend's laptop. Now, how can she somehow save all the that is done on Edge, like bookmarks, and stuff before I remove my self from being an admin. She didn't have an admin on a laptop before, that's probably why I have become...
  4. No Admin rights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Admin rights: Hi,I recently turned my PC off and when I have switched it back on, I have lost all admin rights on my PC.Certain programmes won't work such as Spotify and any games that I have installed through Xbox will not load both of which come up with the following error;'Windows...
  5. Admin rights

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Admin rights: I ran into this problem when I changed to windows 10 upgrade. Should I change my computer name to the Microsoft profile name or would it be easier to just change my Microsoft profile name to match my computer name? Thanks...
  6. Unable to install Drivers for new Windows installation due to admin rights

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install Drivers for new Windows installation due to admin rights: I just installed Windows. It shows that I am the Administrator. I am able to install Firefox. But I downloaded my driver file from samsung. I had to unzip it and when I try to run the exe, whether I just double click or 'run as admin' I get the This App has been blocked...
  7. the trouble with new installs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    the trouble with new installs: the trouble with new installs when you have several computers: I just got an ssd and decided it was time to upgrade an old computer TOSHIBA Satellite C855 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2370M 8 gig memory JUHOR Z500 120GB [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) to change boot order hold...
  8. New laptop no admin rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New laptop no admin rights: I've just bought a new laptop and need administration rights however there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. When I go in to administrator, its a weird default man and there is not even the security and update or friends and family options. This was a display model. Have...
  9. Admin Rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin Rights: How do I turn off passwords without being an Admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/admin-rights/298f50bc-2051-4905-94df-23c039e3c9c3"
  10. No admin rights for admin account after clean install

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No admin rights for admin account after clean install: Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or...