Windows 10: New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch

Discus and support New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Any chance that the next "upgrade" will be available on an ISO (instead of requiring the horrible in-place update garbage)? Microsoft should dump... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 17, 2014.

1. New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch

No doubt if Microsoft wants to allow/ offer an upgrade then let people use a prior activation key with the current 10iso,
    Much more straight forward than covering an existing install for those who don't give a hoot for the prior windows version *Smile

ThrashZone, Dec 18, 2014
  2. Phone Man Win User

MS is testing their update procedure as that is the future. Major changes to W10 will be through updates and not new releases of the OS. Also they stated that W10 testers running the leaked versions will not be able to update to the Jan release so there will be an ISO.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 18, 2014
  3. You must enjoy installing software or have next to nothing installed? I for one didn't like installing software over and over again because of other problems I had. Not really.
    I just spent 5 days reorganising my PC setup (It should have taken a few hours). *Sad

Also, I only have a few programs installed in W10 TP, because I expect that I will have to do clean installs anyway every few weeks.

However if the in-place upgrade fails, you probably won't be able to use any software, so you'll have to reinstall the lot anyway.

Anecdotally, a clean OS with all of the same programs installed, seems to run better.

MS had better be prepared for a lot of bad press and whining on forums if anything goes wrong (like with W8).

lehnerus2000, Dec 18, 2014
  4. wptski Win User

New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch

I will have a third party app backup of my current W10TP build handy before I do an upgrade. I actually tried a clean install of 9879 and it didn't go well, ending up with wanting to install some software from an unknown source. I couldn't find anything by its file name. So I restored my backup of my in-place upgrade.

Now, the in-place upgrade from 9860 to 9879 didn't happen by me wanting it either. I think I installed 9841 three times and twice upgraded to 9860 but I had thought that I found the problem but wanted to stay on 9860 for a bit to make sure. No doubt about this but I had one of those daily Defender updates but this one took forever ending with a needed reboot, for what? I wondered, what the heck?? After the reboot, I was back on 9879 again where I stayed ever since with no more blue screen reboot loops.

wptski, Dec 18, 2014
  5. groze Win User
    Actually, Microsoft would have to do an iso for January release. It is called the consumer preview. It is now time for the end user to test if they want to. You should still be able to upgraded using the iso instead of doing a clean install. Microsoft claimed you can do a upgrade as far back as windows 7.

groze, Dec 18, 2014
  6. Yep possibly the consumer preview will be less buggy and stuck in personal preferences *Smile

ThrashZone, Dec 18, 2014
  7. linw Win User
    It should be about choice. Pick either the in place or clean install. Personally, after many successful in place installs, that is the route I will continue to follow if it is available.

8. Mystere Win User

You're forgetting that the only way they can fix the problems with this process is by actually getting beta testers to use it...

Mystere, Dec 18, 2014
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    You're forgetting that the only way they can fix the problems with this process is by actually getting beta testers to use it... Good point. . .never been able to figure out the big deal behind the need for a clean install. . .probably just me. . .*Huh

10. The majority of testers are using vm's so it's a little different animal *Wink

ThrashZone, Dec 19, 2014
  11. Mystere Win User
    Where, exactly did you make up that statistic from?

In fact, according to Microsoft, only 36% of users are using a VM.

Checking in on the Windows Insider Program

Mystere, Dec 19, 2014
  12. You're forgetting that the only way they can fix the problems with this process is by actually getting beta testers to use it... They've been testing this dodgy update system since W8 was released.

They've had a claimed 200M beta testers (oops ... users) working on it and they still can't make it work properly.

Even ordinary unfashionable updates are hit-and-miss and they've been using the same system for years.
    Microsoft update blunders going out of control

Sending out an entire OS every few months is going to cause havoc.
    What about people who have:
    • Crappy Internet connections?
    • Mobile devices with ridiculously small download limits?

What about business users?
    How will they test updates before deployment?

Apple might be able to make such a system work, but only because every Mac is identical (i.e. won't run if the hardware is modified in any way).
    For example:
    Yosemite kills third-party SSD support | ZDNet

I have no confidence that MS will be able to fix this new system.
    Forcing people to use fashionable new systems with a proven track record of failure is not going to win MS any plaudits.

To undo the damage the W8 series caused, MS needs to use proven rock-solid code.

MS would probably be better off releasing a separate Windows Testing distro with the bleeding edge technology and useless fashionista stuff in it (like Red Hat does with Fedora).

lehnerus2000, Dec 19, 2014
  13. Mystere Win User

No, they haven't. The new system is very different, and is called "flighting".

It's still a very early alpha stage dude...

You're conflating bugs in the updated binaries with issues with the update process. They are two different things, and I suspect you know that. So why try and pretend they are at all similar?

As opposed to now, where we get Cumulative updates that are 500MB+ in size?

The same way they do now... they use WSUS to block updates until they are tested, then allow them.

Wait, so you understand that it's a new system? Yet you pretended it wasn't?

Mystere, Dec 19, 2014
  14. Where, exactly did you make up that statistic from?

Checking in on the Windows Insider Program Why would you say I made that up for ?
    I can't open the News story posted by @Brink but it's now on page 8 in this section
    Windows 10: 41% of testers installed the build on their...

ThrashZone, Dec 19, 2014
  15. It's still a very early alpha stage dude... That was a reference to the W8 series (the OS that was released a couple of years ago).

What you are suggesting is that MS is planning to include a system, that will only have received a few months worth of testing, in a product that needs to work perfectly out-of-the-box (or at least as well as W7 did). *Eek

W10 needs to replace the W8 series, the way W7 replaced Vista (in market performance terms).

You're conflating bugs in the updated binaries with issues with the update process. They are two different things, and I suspect you know that. So why try and pretend they are at all similar? Why are you pretending that buggy code isn't a separate issue to corrupted downloads?

The bigger the download, the more chance it will be corrupted.

Apparently you are unaware of the large number of posts on SevenForums, EightForums and TenForums from people whose problems were caused by corrupted downloads (i.e. their problem was solved by a new download).

As opposed to now, where we get Cumulative updates that are 500MB+ in size? Where is Service Pack 2 for W7 (SP1 was in 2011)?

As far as I'm aware, W8 had no Service Packs (or at least they weren't designated as such).

In my books, a 3 GB download is bigger than a 500 MB download.

The same way they do now... they use WSUS to block updates until they are tested, then allow them. Under the current system, each individual update can be tested and any individual update that causes issues can be avoided.

If each update is an entire OS, how do you block the broken bits?

Wait, so you understand that it's a new system? Yet you pretended it wasn't? "New" compared to the "Old" system (i.e. one update at a time).

As far as I can tell, Service Packs didn't replace the entire OS (even though it felt like it).

Where, exactly did you make up that statistic from?

Checking in on the Windows Insider Program Why would you say I made that up for ?
    I can't open the News story posted by @Brink but it's now on page 8 in this section
    Windows 10: 41% of testers installed the build on their... Here is the Windows Blog link, "Checking in on the Windows Insider Program (2014-10-13)":
    Checking in on the Windows Insider Program

lehnerus2000, Dec 19, 2014
Thema:

1. New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch - Similar Threads - KB3025380 Update FBL_AWESOME

2. Address in Long Branch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Address in Long Branch: 642 McClellan Street https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/address-in-long-branch/1288f2c5-fc7b-4d3f-a6c3-057859e4d9e5
  3. Current Branch vs Current Branch for Business

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Current Branch vs Current Branch for Business: Using Creators Edition. I have 3 Win 10 Pro machines. In Updates > Advanced all three are set for Business and are grayed out. Since these are used at home, which option would be better ? GPedit.msc didn't change. Where can I make a change ? My guess would be in the...
  4. New update - and new question about branch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New update - and new question about branch: Greetings. Today my Win10 wanted to restart because of a new windows update, so I let it do that. Now I have a new setting (??) under advanced options in "Update & recovery". The last setting are like this: "Choose what branch you'd like to get new previews builds from."!...
  5. Microsoft anoints Windows 10 Nov. update as new Current Branch .....

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft anoints Windows 10 Nov. update as new Current Branch .....: Microsoft anoints Windows 10 November update as new Current Branch for Business release Attention IT Pros overseeing Microsoft Windows 10 deployments: Here comes the new Current Branch for Business release It's been a while since I had to delve into the Current...
  6. Current Branch for Business updated to Windows 10 1511

in Windows 10 News
    Current Branch for Business updated to Windows 10 1511: Businesses tend to be a bit more conservative in upgrading their various software systems, and so Windows 10 for Businesses follows a different upgrade path than consumer versions. While the Current Branch for consumers has been pegged at Windows 10 1511 for some time now,...
  7. New MS Office 2016 on Current Branch: 16.0.6769.2040

in Windows 10 News
    New MS Office 2016 on Current Branch: 16.0.6769.2040: Version numbers of update channels for Office 365 clients [img] Applies to: Office 365 ProPlus Topic Last Modified: 2016-04-28 Summary: Provides a list of version numbers for update channels, to help Office 365 admins identify which version of Office is...
  8. Prepare for new Windows 10 Development Branch builds

in Windows 10 News
    Prepare for new Windows 10 Development Branch builds: Hello Windows Insiders! We wanted to send out a quick note reminding Windows Insiders to check their ring settings. Now that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 14393) has been released to our customers, it has replaced the Windows 10 November Update (Build 10586) in...
  9. MS Office 2016: New Build on Current Branch - 16.0.6741.2021

in Windows 10 News
    MS Office 2016: New Build on Current Branch - 16.0.6741.2021: MS Office 2016: New Build on Current Branch - 16.0.6741.2021 Source: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../mt592918.aspx 45235
  10. KB3025380 required in 9879 to get new build

in Windows 10 News
    KB3025380 required in 9879 to get new build: If you are running Windows 10 build 9879, then you will need to make sure that you have the December 18th KB3025380 Windows Update installed to be able to receive the new build of the OS next week. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date 3649