Windows 10: New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch

Discus and support New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Why would you say I made that up for ? I can't open the News story posted by @Brink but it's now on page 8 in this section Windows 10: 41% of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mystere Win User

New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch

Yeah, that's the same story I just linked to, and the 41% refers to users who installed over production systems. The link says that only 36% of users installed in a VM. So that's why I'm wondering where that figure came from, since it's not from any reliable source.

Mystere, Dec 19, 2014
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Where, exactly did you make up that statistic from?

In fact, according to Microsoft, only 36% of users are using a VM.

Checking in on the Windows Insider Program Why would you say I made that up for ?
    I can't open the News story posted by @ but it's now on page 8 in this section
    Windows 10: 41% of testers installed the build on their... @ThrashZone

The link below for it should work now. The % sign originally in the title broke it. Once removed, it opens now. *Smile

Windows 10: 41 percent of testers installed build 9860

Brink, Dec 19, 2014
  3. Ha okay I thought I was having a browser moment thanks for fixing the news story *Smile

Well I didn't make it up I was just wrong on the statement but it does look like vm's are up about 10% from last go around,
    Just not near as many on desktops and laptops *Sad
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Dec 19, 2014
  4. KenG Win User

You must enjoy installing software or have next to nothing installed? I for one didn't like installing software over and over again because of other problems I had. Not really.
    I just spent 5 days reorganising my PC setup (It should have taken a few hours). *Sad

Also, I only have a few programs installed in W10 TP, because I expect that I will have to do clean installs anyway every few weeks.

However if the in-place upgrade fails, you probably won't be able to use any software, so you'll have to reinstall the lot anyway. YeahBut. If the in-place upgrade works it's a ton less work. And the odds are that it will work.

Of course, but so what? That's true of every version of every operating system that has ever been built. And it's sure not a useful testing platform. To give this thing, or any other OS, a proper test you have to clutter it up with a whole mess of junk, preferably without ever cleaning up the registry or uninstalling anything. The more crap you can stick on your test system the more realistic and useful the test will be. *Biggrin

...ken...

5. f14tomcat Win User
    Curious,,, what does the "1501" mean??

New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 20, 2014
  6. So how do you determine if a new OS preview has garbage code, or if the in-place upgrade glitched (and there is actually nothing wrong with the OS code)?

Personally I'm only interested in the "main" programs that I use on a daily basis.
    If some software that I never install doesn't work, why should I care?

These days anyone can run a VM (if required) for old software.

Anecdotally (from help forum posts) the less code installed on a system, the better it runs.

I suspect my PC would be considered to be "a piece of junk" by a lot of people on these forums.
    Yet, compared to an original IBM PC, my PC has:
    • ~1000x faster CPU
    • ~8000x more RAM
    • ~6500000x more storage
    Despite those stats, I doubt that I could run a 1000 copies of DOS (I'd be surprised if I could run 100 copies).

People often claim that there is no such thing as "Registry Clag" and yet a fresh install almost always seems to run better than an install that is a few years old.
    If it doesn't run better, the problem is usually caused by an unsuccessful reinstall (i.e. some glitch occurred during the install).
    The cure is a successful clean reinstall.

lehnerus2000, Dec 20, 2014
  7. KenG Win User
    So how do you determine if a new OS preview has garbage code, or if the in-place upgrade glitched (and there is actually nothing wrong with the OS code)?

Personally I'm only interested in the "main" programs that I use on a daily basis.
    If some software that I never install doesn't work, why should I care?

These days anyone can run a VM (if required) for old software.

Anecdotally (from help forum posts) the less code installed on a system, the better it runs.

I suspect my PC would be considered to be "a piece of junk" by a lot of people on these forums.
    Yet, compared to an original IBM PC, my PC has:
    • ~1000x faster CPU
    • ~8000x more RAM
    • ~6500000x more storage
    Despite those stats, I doubt that I could run a 1000 copies of DOS (I'd be surprised if I could run 100 copies).

People often claim that there is no such thing as "Registry Clag" and yet a fresh install almost always seems to run better than an install that is a few years old.
    If it doesn't run better, the problem is usually caused by an unsuccessful reinstall (i.e. some glitch occurred during the install).
    The cure is a successful clean reinstall. Yikes, how do I respond to that?! I guess the main point is that alpha and beta testing is not about *you* and what *you* like/want/prefer. It's about beating on the target product, preferably in a way that is as close to whatever passes for normal use as you can make it. The ideal situation would include hammering on it in as rude and ignorant a fashion as an "average" user might.

If you want stability, order, simplicity, reliability, and "clean code" in your life you should not sign up for testing stuff; especially not an operating system.

Re: "registry clag", anyone who doubts: a) doesn't understand a thing about the registry and how Windows and applications use and abuse it, and b) have never run a registry cleaner that shows them a list of all the useless crud that accumulates in there. The first time I ran a registry cleaner it was on a system that had never been cleaned in the four years since the original clean OS install. There were 24,000 (yep, 24 followed by three zeros) useless entries. Needless to say after that junk was stripped from the registry, thus reducing it's size and, therefore, the time to read, write, and find stuff in it, things were much snappier.

...ken...

8. New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch

That is the job of a paid beta tester.
    I'm not a paid beta tester for MS.

I'm testing it for me. *Smile

If MS want to give me money and supply additional software for testing (e.g. Office 2013, VS 2013, Adobe CC, etc.) they know where to find me and I'll perform whatever testing they want.

Personally, I install as few programs as I can "get away with" on my real system; that is my "normal use".

They receive free feedback from me running their test OS (and any comments I post on the Insider forum).
    As far as I know, we unpaid testers aren't going to receive any special considerations from MS for our input.

During the W8 testing, MS totally ignored all of the feedback that was offered anyway.

After the W8 debacle, I'm interested to see if this OS can do what I want, without annoying me.
    Once I'm satisfied that W10 is actually usable, I might start installing obscure programs.
    Currently I have only installed my most heavily used programs:
    • Internet browser (PM25)
    • MPC-HC media player
    • Notepad++
    • CCleaner
    • Glary Utilities

MS probably doesn't even really care about 3rd party software, as it isn't their problem if it doesn't work.
    They probably would be worried if nothing worked (and if that was the case, they'd be told that "in no uncertain terms").

Since I've just spent the last two months working on TAFE assignments and the last week rebuilding my setup, I haven't had time to do in-depth testing anyway.

The first time I ran CCleaner on XP (many years ago) it found hundreds of dud Registry entries and several GBs of Internet Cache garbage. *Eek

lehnerus2000, Dec 20, 2014
  9. Superfly Win User
    '
    It's the release date of Consumer Preview next year.

Superfly, Dec 20, 2014
  10. Sorry I don't have the link handy, but I recently read that there is not going to be any Consumer Preview this time, but instead, a January Tech Preview -- followed by a February Tech Preview, March TP, ... etc.

I find this disappointing because if there was going to be a Consumer Preview, that would imply that MS would go all-out to make the January version not only as bug-free as they could make it, but to also contain ALL the features they plan on having for Consumers (as opposed to Enterprises).

But, if it's just another in a line of monthly TP's, that implies all it will have is the stuff that they have ready to release by the time they do the Build.

Mark Phelps, Dec 20, 2014
  11. groze Win User
    Sorry I don't have the link handy, but I recently read that there is not going to be any Consumer Preview this time, but instead, a January Tech Preview -- followed by a February Tech Preview, March TP, ... etc.

I find this disappointing because if there was going to be a Consumer Preview, that would imply that MS would go all-out to make the January version not only as bug-free as they could make it, but to also contain ALL the features they plan on having for Consumers (as opposed to Enterprises).

But, if it's just another in a line of monthly TP's, that implies all it will have is the stuff that they have ready to release by the time they do the Build. Mark Phelps,

I read the opposite. These are somewhat current.

Microsoft: Consumers should wait for Windows 10 Consumer Preview out early 2015 - Pocket-lint

Here are two links for Jan 2015

Microsoft Schedules Windows 10 Consumer Preview Event For January : T-Lounge : Tech Times

Windows 10 release date, news and features | PC Pro

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New KB3025380 Update for Windows 10 FBL_AWESOME branch - Similar Threads - KB3025380 Update FBL_AWESOME

2. Address in Long Branch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Address in Long Branch: 642 McClellan Street https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/address-in-long-branch/1288f2c5-fc7b-4d3f-a6c3-057859e4d9e5
  3. Current Branch vs Current Branch for Business

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Current Branch vs Current Branch for Business: Using Creators Edition. I have 3 Win 10 Pro machines. In Updates > Advanced all three are set for Business and are grayed out. Since these are used at home, which option would be better ? GPedit.msc didn't change. Where can I make a change ? My guess would be in the...
  4. New update - and new question about branch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New update - and new question about branch: Greetings. Today my Win10 wanted to restart because of a new windows update, so I let it do that. Now I have a new setting (??) under advanced options in "Update & recovery". The last setting are like this: "Choose what branch you'd like to get new previews builds from."!...
  5. Microsoft anoints Windows 10 Nov. update as new Current Branch .....

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft anoints Windows 10 Nov. update as new Current Branch .....: Microsoft anoints Windows 10 November update as new Current Branch for Business release Attention IT Pros overseeing Microsoft Windows 10 deployments: Here comes the new Current Branch for Business release It's been a while since I had to delve into the Current...
  6. Current Branch for Business updated to Windows 10 1511

in Windows 10 News
    Current Branch for Business updated to Windows 10 1511: Businesses tend to be a bit more conservative in upgrading their various software systems, and so Windows 10 for Businesses follows a different upgrade path than consumer versions. While the Current Branch for consumers has been pegged at Windows 10 1511 for some time now,...
  7. New MS Office 2016 on Current Branch: 16.0.6769.2040

in Windows 10 News
    New MS Office 2016 on Current Branch: 16.0.6769.2040: Version numbers of update channels for Office 365 clients [img] Applies to: Office 365 ProPlus Topic Last Modified: 2016-04-28 Summary: Provides a list of version numbers for update channels, to help Office 365 admins identify which version of Office is...
  8. Prepare for new Windows 10 Development Branch builds

in Windows 10 News
    Prepare for new Windows 10 Development Branch builds: Hello Windows Insiders! We wanted to send out a quick note reminding Windows Insiders to check their ring settings. Now that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 14393) has been released to our customers, it has replaced the Windows 10 November Update (Build 10586) in...
  9. MS Office 2016: New Build on Current Branch - 16.0.6741.2021

in Windows 10 News
    MS Office 2016: New Build on Current Branch - 16.0.6741.2021: MS Office 2016: New Build on Current Branch - 16.0.6741.2021 Source: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../mt592918.aspx 45235
  10. KB3025380 required in 9879 to get new build

in Windows 10 News
    KB3025380 required in 9879 to get new build: If you are running Windows 10 build 9879, then you will need to make sure that you have the December 18th KB3025380 Windows Update installed to be able to receive the new build of the OS next week. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date 3649