Windows 10: New key when cloning a disk

Discus and support New key when cloning a disk in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop and was wondering if I clone my disk from my desktop to my laptop can I just purchase a new license key? Or will it make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mahlon Drake, Jun 4, 2023.

1. New key when cloning a disk

I just bought a new laptop and was wondering if I clone my disk from my desktop to my laptop can I just purchase a new license key? Or will it make erase everything?

:)

Mahlon Drake, Jun 4, 2023

2. New cloned disk shows up as old one in Win 10

I recently replaced my Crucial MX200 500GB SSD by cloning (Acronis) to a new Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. The Samsung migration software which came with the disk didn't seem to clone correctly because the Crucial ssd was slightly larger. Acronis worked fine.

My bios shows the correct new Samsung disk but on Win 10 the disk management still lists the old Crucial MX200. Although everything seems to be working fine, I would like for the system to acknowledge the correct disk.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? I have cloned disks before and they have always shown up correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

BobGrattan, Jun 4, 2023
  3. Windows 11 many problems after cloning on new disk

Hello,

I have recently cloned the original hard drive of my notebook on a new disk. I removed the old hard disk, placed it in a USB adapter, physically installed the new one and then painfully failed to clone it with all the softwares. Only after (1) removing the read-only mode (2) accessing it from windows installed on a third hard disk to unlock the bitlocker protection (3) changed ownership back to me, I managed to clone it with a software, but acronis true image (the software provided by the new hard disk manufacturer), for example, would still fail in the cloning process. I make this premise because I guess this is where something might have gone wrong.

Once I managed all files and partitions were copied to the new hard disk, I only left the new hard disk. The system does run, but it has many issues:

* the start button does not work

* Microsoft's Notebook and Photo apps do not start, Outlook start but won't connect to the servers

* the store seems to not exist anymore, if I click on links that try to open it an error message appears

I have already tried fixes number 4,5,6,7,10 listed HERE, but nothing changed. I am quite reticent to reset or re-install windows because I have pretty big programs installed and it would take a lot of time to restore everything.

I really hope there is a way to bring the Microsoft machinery back to life!

FabioFranc, Jun 4, 2023
  4. New key when cloning a disk

wanna clone xp pro, have issues

so far, i wanna clone my main drive to a new HD. no matter if i do disk to disk, or if i load the backup file in a new xp home installation, after a while, all other designs beside the classic design seem to die away.
    after 1 day it started to disappear sometimes,but reappeared until day 2, where suddenly, not the zune theme, but also the windows main theme werent useable, they even completly dissapeared from the designs list.
    ethernet drivers seem also corrupted, couldnt achieve a connection over crossover, that now, back in the original professional, works again. let me say it. it died soon like a real human clone would, if its production material was too old.*Eek! New key when cloning a disk :eek:

any suggestions guys?

*Wink New key when cloning a disk ;)
    thanks for your help!

Velvet Wafer, Jun 4, 2023
Thema:

New key when cloning a disk

1. New key when cloning a disk - Similar Threads - key cloning disk

2. New key when cloning a disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New key when cloning a disk: I just bought a new laptop and was wondering if I clone my disk from my desktop to my laptop can I just purchase a new license key? Or will it make erase everything?...
  3. New key when cloning a disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New key when cloning a disk: I just bought a new laptop and was wondering if I clone my disk from my desktop to my laptop can I just purchase a new license key? Or will it make erase everything?...
  4. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  5. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning: I have an SSD128gb drive that is almost full and ordered 1tb SDD. I also have a 2nd HDD 1tb drive in the pc and although I haven't used Disk Cloning I am attempting to clone the 128gb SSD onto the HDDin pc and when I receive the new 1tb SDD I am thinking to clone from the...
  6. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  7. Corrupted New PC after Disk Clone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted New PC after Disk Clone: Hello i bought a new PC and ported my entire disk from my old PC to my new one and pretty sure corrupted the absolute hell out of it. I used a Program called Mini Partition Wizard and did the Clone Disk option. Now my new PC literally cannot connect to the internet, the PC...
  8. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  9. Disk cloning

Disk cloning: How to transfer information from Computer 1 to Computer 2? My understanding how to do this is outlined as follows but I am not entirely sure this process would work. Existing Computer 1: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; have USB flash drive 1 with Windows 10 installation media...
  10. Cloning with a new key and 8.1 key activation

Cloning with a new key and 8.1 key activation: I have a Windows 10 machine that has the same configuration that I want for another machine that I have purchased without an OS. What I am considering, to make life easier is to clone the drive of the configured machine to the new one and then, with a new Windows key hat I...