Windows 10: New laptop and older external hard drive

Discus and support New laptop and older external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My new Dell laptop with Win 10 does not recognize my older USB external hard drive... It will show up in Devices and Printers sometimes, but with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Debs-1035, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Debs-1035 Win User

New laptop and older external hard drive

My new Dell laptop with Win 10 does not recognize my older USB external hard drive... It will show up in Devices and Printers sometimes, but with no

useable info .. how can I get new laptop to connect with old hard drive ?

:)

Debs-1035, Sep 14, 2019
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 14, 2019
  4. Blafam Win User

external hard drive

Hello. I have even connected my Buffalo external hard drive directly to my laptop with a new cable and windows 10 cannot find it. ?? Any other suggestions?

Blafam, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

1. New laptop and older external hard drive - Similar Threads - laptop older external

2. External Hard Drive/New Volumn

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive/New Volumn: This is further to the issue that I was in having with ejecting my external hard drive and getting the message that it could not eject because another program was using the drive.I have discovered that a while back I had made a volume with the letter E within the drive that...
  3. External Hard Drive/New Volumn

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive/New Volumn: This is further to the issue that I was in having with ejecting my external hard drive and getting the message that it could not eject because another program was using the drive.I have discovered that a while back I had made a volume with the letter E within the drive that...
  4. New laptop will not recognize my imogega Ego external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New laptop will not recognize my imogega Ego external hard drive: I need my external hard drive recognized by my Dell laptop. What do I do , the last laptop I had, all I had to do was plug it in the pc.? Windows 10 166698
  5. New laptop will not recognize my imogega Ego external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    New laptop will not recognize my imogega Ego external hard drive: I need my external hard drive recognized by my Dell laptop. What do I do , the last laptop I had, all I had to do was plug it in the pc.? Windows 10 166698
  6. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external hard drive not working on new laptop: So I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I use just to back up some pictures, documents, etc. I've always used this with my laptop without issue. I recently got a new Dell laptop running windows 10 and every time I plug the hard drive in it just says that the USB device...
  9. External hard drive and new computer issues

External hard drive and new computer issues: I just got a new laptop and some of the programs claim they need to be reinstalled due to registration issues while others give me a "Windows can't access the specified drive, file, or path" message. It makes no sense because the whole point of an extremal hard drive is to...
  10. connecting external hard drives to laptop

connecting external hard drives to laptop: is it possible to connect three external hard drives thru one usb socket and if it is, what connector do I need 50269