Windows 10: New Laptop, Disappearing Files, Slow boot

Discus and support New Laptop, Disappearing Files, Slow boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been trying to help a friend who has just purchased a brand new Acer laptop. Apparently prior to purchase it was installed with WIN 8.1 but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AjayK47, Aug 30, 2015.

1. AjayK47 Win User

New Laptop, Disappearing Files, Slow boot

I have been trying to help a friend who has just purchased a brand new Acer laptop.

Apparently prior to purchase it was installed with WIN 8.1 but the small shop did a clean install of WIN 10 prior to my friend collecting and paying for the laptop. At the same time a licence for Office 2013 Home and Student was purchased.

I firstly assisted with the download from MS and installation of Office 2013 using the purchased key and all went well.

We had previously backed up all data from her old XP machine to an external hard drive so effectively had two backups. The original XP computer and external hard drive. I initially just copied one important folder from the external hard drive onto the new laptop and that went well. I also pinned to the taskbar a shortcut to Word and Excel and created a shortcut to the web location to her email for ease of access.

Decided to leave it at that for the day and continue when I had some more spare time.

My next task on a subsequent day was to install some anti-virus, install printer drivers and copy the rest of her data over from the external hard drive.

On turning on the laptop I was surprised to find the shortcuts I had pinned to the task bar for Word and Excel had disappeared along with the email desktop shortcut and the one folder I had copied over. No other user had been setup on the machine so was rather puzzled. (Fortunately no disaster because of the two available backups).

Decided next to install the VM F-Secure Safe antivirus etc. and all went well except that the machine which has 8gb RAM slowed down considerably.

I then recreated the taskbar pins for Word and Excel and a desktop shortcut for webmail. Finally copied all the remaining data from the external hard drive.

Assumed all would now be ok but upon re-booting all the data I had just copied over had gone but the folder I copied on day 1 of use had returned.

I am totally baffled about what is going on here. It's almost as if more than one user is being created on the laptop but I haven't done anything to do that. I have been into control panel and it only shows one user as administrator.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on here. I have not been familiar with either WIN 8 or 8.1 so this is a big learning curve for me but clearly I (or the setup of the machine) has something going on strange with it.

Could it be something to do with the install of Office 2013 and that has created an MS Account? How do I see what accounts exist on the laptop and what are local and what are MS?

Any hep much appreciated.

:)

AjayK47, Aug 30, 2015

2. Black Screen after Windows 10 update, even in safe mode.

Well,

I must admit I am giving up on this.

Had to follow this other thread too, since it was very-very slow in any interaction with the remaining parts (Safe Booted, or Normal Booted, all the same):

laptop-super-slow

I cannot get my reasonable new (original Windows 8 x64 bit) laptop working.

/cheers and thanks for suggestions, but my life is too short for debugging...

Rosenberg-IT, Aug 30, 2015
  3. New ssd not booting up, please help

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new ssd and installed it into my laptop. I then cloned all my data from my old hard drive onto the new ssd. However, when I tried booting up from my ssd, it said bootmgr is missing. I can boot up from my old hard drive just fine, and
    the exact same files are on the ssd. My hard drive is unbearably slow to boot up from. Please help.

MahirRahman, Aug 30, 2015
Thema:

New Laptop, Disappearing Files, Slow boot

1. New Laptop, Disappearing Files, Slow boot - Similar Threads - Laptop Disappearing Files

2. Lenovo laptop with slow boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo laptop with slow boot: Hi guys,My uncle is gonna bring me his lenovo laptop in a while. He says the boot procedure is very low for a new laptop.Hi asked some questions and apparently he cloned his old dell laptop onto the new machine.Oooof.I was wondering, maybe we could check bcd? Help me sort...
  3. Lenovo laptop with slow boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo laptop with slow boot: Hi guys,My uncle is gonna bring me his lenovo laptop in a while. He says the boot procedure is very low for a new laptop.Hi asked some questions and apparently he cloned his old dell laptop onto the new machine.Oooof.I was wondering, maybe we could check bcd? Help me sort...
  4. Slow Boot on Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Boot on Laptop: I have a Dell laptop which is very slow to boot with the disk running at 100% for extended periods in Task Manager. I have tweaked a bit but it is still slow so I was wondering which startup services cause the most bother in this respect. So far I have checked the AV and that...
  5. Slow Boot on Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow Boot on Laptop: I have a Dell laptop which is very slow to boot with the disk running at 100% for extended periods in Task Manager. I have tweaked a bit but it is still slow so I was wondering which startup services cause the most bother in this respect. So far I have checked the AV and that...
  6. Slow Boot on Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. SLOW BOOT UP LAPTOP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SLOW BOOT UP LAPTOP: My Dell Inspiron laptop very very slow to boot up and the Edge icon always come with ' microsoft edge is not responding' . I am 80 yrs old and not computer savy so please list the corrections in simple language. Many thanks,...
  8. Slow boot time with new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow boot time with new laptop: I have an Asus Vivobook 14 M413DA which I bought in January. When it was new, it would boot to the Windows log in screen in under 10 seconds. Now it takes 40 seconds.Under Startup in Task Manager, the only items enabled are "googledrivesync.exe", "Microsoft OneDrive", and...
  9. Slow laptop boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow laptop boot: Hello all, so I have quite big problem.So firstly my laptop specs: CPU: i3-6100u RAM: 8GB DDR4 GPU: Intel HD 520 + NVIDIA GT 920MX HDD: SEAGATE 1TB 5400RPM OS: WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 So my problem: I have this problem about 2-3months , anyway I tryed many things but none of...
  10. Slow new laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow new laptop: Hi, as the title says, I just got a new laptop, bought like 3 or 4 days ago, its not mine but its the one I use. Its an Acer Aspire ES 15 with an AMD Quad core A86410 2Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 L Ram, an AMD Radeon R5 Graphics card and a normal HDD at 5400 rpm. I know that HDDs are...