Windows 10: New laptop - how to manage user accounts on it?

Discus and support New laptop - how to manage user accounts on it? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a new laptop. It has been given to me by the shop with a preinstalled Local Administrator Account. This account has a user name, but does not... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Fortitude, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Fortitude Win User

New laptop - how to manage user accounts on it?

I have a new laptop. It has been given to me by the shop with a preinstalled Local Administrator Account. This account has a user name, but does not have a password. This looks to me to be a security weakness. What do you think?

What I would like to do in order to create on the laptop something similar to what I had on my desktop PC is to have a Microsoft Administrator Account, one Local Administrator Account and a Standard User Account.

I understand that I can use the existing Local Administrator Account to create the other accounts that I mentioned.

My first question is: What should I do with the already installed Local Administrator Account after I set up the other ones? I don't like the given user name... *Sad Can I delete it? If so, how?

Will deleting the preinstalled Local Administrator Account invalidate any software that was installed using it? How could I prevent such an eventuality?

:)

Fortitude, Jun 3, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Changing administrator for new windows 10 laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

To change the Account type follow the steps.

• Press Windows + X, click on User Accounts.

• Click on change your account type.

• Select standard account.

To delete the account follow the steps.

• Click on Manage other Account.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Delete the account.

To create the new user account follow the steps.

• Click on Manage other Account.

• Click on Add A new user in PC setting.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jun 3, 2019
  3. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Jun 3, 2019
  4. New laptop - how to manage user accounts on it?

Windows 10 New User Accounts

• Which is the new user account type you have created and facing these issue?
    Built in Administrator account

Local Account

MS Account

2. Have you made any changes on these accounts after creating them?

Not initially. Tried rebooting, removing and readding after a reboot. Tried adding via CLI and GUI interfaces

After that I tried one of the suggestions and tried coping a good account over the newly created account. That did not work

3. Does this issue persists on any specific user account?

No it persists on all newly created accounts do not work

4. What are the troubleshooting steps you have created in resolving the issue?

Just the ones mentioned in Step 2

5. Do let us know if you have any user account with no issues on your computer?

only the initial account that was created when I upgraded to windows 10

Robert Cantrell, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

New laptop - how to manage user accounts on it?

1. New laptop - how to manage user accounts on it? - Similar Threads - laptop manage user

2. New MS account and user set up issue on new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New MS account and user set up issue on new laptop: Just purchased a new laptop for my office. Set it up under my account. Then I set up a new account user and a new local user for the staff to use. However, when I sign in as the new account user, my desktop applications appear and my network folders etc., not the new users....
  3. New MS account and user set up issue on new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New MS account and user set up issue on new laptop: Just purchased a new laptop for my office. Set it up under my account. Then I set up a new account user and a new local user for the staff to use. However, when I sign in as the new account user, my desktop applications appear and my network folders etc., not the new users....
  4. New User Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New User Account: I am trying to make another user account for my computer. I have a account set up for me but i need a new one for my brother. when i try making a account this is what i get I tyr making a local account and when i try to sign in to it i cant....
  5. New User Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New User Account: I am trying to make another user account for my computer. I have a account set up for me but i need a new one for my brother. when i try making a account this is what i get I tyr making a local account and when i try to sign in to it i cant....
  6. Managing Other User account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Managing Other User account: I have given my son a surface to use in school and his profile was created by his school under other users. I am the administrator of the surface but I am unable to add his account to the family account neither am I able to restrict his time on the surface. Is there something...
  7. How to create a new admin user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to create a new admin user account: I'm an administrator. I want to create a new administrator account. Control Panel User Account doesn't show an Add User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-admin-user-account/cbf0d022-3fee-4615-8c67-d5f1038ed86d
  8. New user account

New user account: Hello, Is there possible when I create a new account user not to have any programs installed on control panel? I have apps so a new user shouldn't have any apps. If there is possible, how do I do that? Thank you. Peterboy_EN...
  9. Managing multiple user accounts

Managing multiple user accounts: Hi, Apolgies if the question has been asked elsewhere, I have not been able to find an answer. I have recently bought a new laptop and I am struggling to understand how to best manage apications across multiple user accounts. I have created four accounts - me as organiser...
  10. new user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    new user account: how do I add other people to a home pc and use a pin number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/new-user-account/254b067d-9b37-4ae2-b4ce-15cf2f1a5e63"