Windows 10: New Laptop Outlook receives mail but will not send it

Discus and support New Laptop Outlook receives mail but will not send it in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Set up email on son's new windows 10 laptop. Set up outlook.com email address. Sent some emails to this new address which have been received. However I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by benncoley, Oct 4, 2018.

1. benncoley Win User

New Laptop Outlook receives mail but will not send it

Set up email on son's new windows 10 laptop. Set up outlook.com email address. Sent some emails to this new address which have been received. However I cannot send any emails...get error saying "we weren't able to send this message" …….???

:)

benncoley, Oct 4, 2018
  2. Berton Win User

Outlook ceases to send and receive mail the next day

Does your Outlook Version 11 [part of Office 2003] ever send the messages? I've never favored having to click an icon to Send and Receive immediately, just another step in using the program, prefer to have it do the functions when clicking Send for the message.

And it's possible Win10 Version 1803 Build 17134.228 is part of the issue since support for Office 2003 has ended.

I'd try a test where Outlook is closed first before shutting down the computer, after all Outlook won't work when the computer is shut down.

Berton, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Jayzilla Win User
    Delete mails in Outlook but want to keep mails untouch in webmail

When I deleted an email in outlook and my webmail got deleted too. I want to keep all the inbox mails from the webmail even I complete deleted in outlook. I spend hrs can't think it out how. Any step by step instruction? I'm using IMAP account btw. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Jayzilla, Oct 4, 2018
  4. CMOORE100 Win User

How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

WIN 10 (64 bit) with OUTLOOK 2016 send E-Mails which some recipients are unable to open or read.

The problem most commonly encountered, to judge from many internet pleas for help, is that normal e-mail messages are sent and received satisfactorily but attachments – whatever their file extensions – are sometimes apparently not sent or not openable. There are also reports that some e-mail main texts are apparently not sent or not openable. This note is based specifically on WIN 10(64) plus OUTLOOK 2016, but my extensive reading for a solution has revealed that other WIN / OUTLOOK issue combinations also give rise to the same or similar problem. It may therefore well be possible that the following actions will also be of assistance with these.
    The root problem is that OUTLOOK sometimes encodes messages and/or attachments as WINMAIL.dat files and sends these. Many non-MS mail programs can not recognise and/or open these. WINMAIL.dat is a format used in times past for sending Rich Text Format (RTF) messages. I am uncertain why MS persists with this heritage I have found in limited testing that some ISPs seem to receive OUTLOOK attachments OK (because these are sent as their original files with “normal” extensions) whereas another ISP appears to prompt their conversion to WINMAIL.dat and then can not open them. I have, by the way, eliminated any possibility that the problem stems from my receiving computer. My accounts are of the “web based” type and I can open my E-mail boxes by web access direct to the ISP.
    My testing (not comprehensive) has shown that when OUTLOOK is used to send attachments to a Gmail.com account they are received OK but when the exact same attachments are sent to a BTInternet.com they are received as WINMAIL.dat encoded files. It is thus doubly unsatisfactory in that one can not rely on the receipt of attachments sometimes, but not always.
    Here are the 3 steps I took :- 1.. Modify the registry to inhibit generation of Winmail.dat files. To do this a.. Open program REGEDIT (Windows key plus R) b.. Go to Computer/ HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/16.0/Outlook/Preferences c.. Create a new DWORD(32bit) called Disable TNEF
    d.. Enter a value of 1 ie.0x00000001 (1) e.. Exit Regedit 2.. Set up OUTLOOK so as NOT to send messages in RTF format. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens.
    c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES f.. Find CHANGE EDITING SETTINGS g.. Select PLAIN TEXT format option in box. (HTML option may also be OK but RICH TEXT FORMAT – RTF – must NOT be selected). h.. Close the MAIL options page(s).
    3.. Set up OUTLOOK not to auto-complete addressees and empty the auto complete cache. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens. c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES
    f.. Select SEND MESSAGES section. g. UNCHECK box labelled “Use auto complete list to suggest names when typing To/cc/bcc lines”. h.. Find and SLCk the “Empty auto complete list” i.. SLCk YES in response to “ARE YOU SURE” pop-up box j.. There is no apparent response to step i. k.. Close OUTLOOK mail option page(s). l.. For good measure re-start the PC.

Notes : i.. At step 3e with OUTLOOK 2013 scroll to SENDING MESSAGES section. ii.. In OUTLOOK 2003 and 2007 for procedure section 2 : iia.. Access OPTIONS from the tools menu iib.. Click MAIL FORMAT tab iic.. Click INTERNET FORMAT iid. Under Outlook Rich Text Options click either Convert to HTML format or Convert to Plain Text format. Get rid of any reference to RTF.
    iii. This note is written based on Win 10(64bit) plus Outlook 2016. Other OS/Outlook versions may vary in function and detail.
    iv.. Some versions of OUTLOOK provide for the message sending format to be varied between addressees in the address book. To check for this each address book entry needs to be examined from its PROPERTIES values. These should be opened and set to HTML or PLAIN TEXT and never RTF (or TNEF). v.. With my problem the solution was achieved after step 3. It appears that the auto-complete cache “remembers” previous settings and hence it needs to be deleted.
    vi.. Step 3 was the vital action and was kindly contributed by Caledon Ken at TEN FORUMS I will mark the thread as resolved after further evaluation, but am highly optimistic. .

CMOORE100, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New Laptop Outlook receives mail but will not send it - Similar Threads - Laptop Outlook receives

2. New Outlook not letting me send mail.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Outlook not letting me send mail.: in the new Outlook app, which appeared after toggling new Outlook in mail and calendar, the "new mail" button is seemingly absent. submitted by /u/MistaNoob1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/16wuw2q/new_outlook_not_letting_me_send_mail/
  3. W10 Mail will not send or receive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Mail will not send or receive: I had a total H/D failure and reinstalled W10 from M/S downloads site. on a new disk Everything went as expected but in the course of setting up the email "Mail" program I do not know what I did but the program will not do any action asked, The program opens but is blank, I...
  4. Outlook send/receive problem

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook send/receive problem: I am running Office 2016 on my desktop Windows PC. Windows recently upgraded itself to version 2004. Since then I have been having intermittent problems with Outlook. When I boot-up, open Outlook, and do a send/receive, it always works perfectly. After being open for some...
  5. mail/outlook mail: I can send BUT can NOT receive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mail/outlook mail: I can send BUT can NOT receive: mail/outlook mail: I can send BUT can NOT receive. What is the remedy? thanks jp https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mailoutlook-mail/8fd6a777-8d82-4ca3-9c0a-cb090ddac574
  6. E-mail not sending/receiving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    E-mail not sending/receiving: E-mail : Fix Outlook error Ox8004060C during the Send/Receive operation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-not-sendingreceiving/feff0be5-030e-469d-b70f-41808ea9c006
  7. Outlook is not receiving or sending messages.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook is not receiving or sending messages.: Outlook is not receiving or sending messages. I have tried reinstall etc. but no success. what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-is-not-receiving-or-sending-messages/4a430084-9960-4310-bc97-f981fac4e19c
  8. Outlook problem(email): will no longer receive or send mail!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook problem(email): will no longer receive or send mail!: Outlook (with Office 365) no longer receives mail. Mail "sent" is stuck in Outbox. I have searched all repair suggestions, even allowed M/S technician "Michael" to search my computer for a solution.; "cleaned disk" &c...
  9. Outlook ceases to send and receive mail the next day

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook ceases to send and receive mail the next day: Hi, I'm using outlook 2003. I leave my PC running and Outlook ceases to be able to send and receive mail the next day. I have been forced to reboot the PC and then it works again, well until the next day when I need to reboot again. I do not leave outlook as I shut it down...
  10. Outlook ceases to send and receive mail the next day

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook ceases to send and receive mail the next day: Hi, I'm using outlook 2003. I leave my PC running and Outlook ceases to be able to send and receive mail the next day. I have been forced to reboot the PC and then it works again, well until the next day when I need to reboot again. I do not leave outlook as I shut it down...