Windows 10: New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid.

Discus and support New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; New laptop, Dell inspiron 7591, reboots very often instead of just waking up when I close the lid... As a result, I lose everything I was working with,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Rubén Arturo, Dec 18, 2019.

1. New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid.

New laptop, Dell inspiron 7591, reboots very often instead of just waking up when I close the lid... As a result, I lose everything I was working with, it's so frustrating. Anyone experiencing this issue as well? How do I solve this? All drivers and bios are up to date. It happens even if I close the lid for 4 minutes. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid. f40c87b0-9543-406c-9082-7bdd240f8777?upload=true.jpg

:)

Rubén Arturo, Dec 18, 2019
  2. ScrappyD Win User

Laptop wakes while lid is closed, stays on

With my current laptop (and several other Win10 laptops I've had), I will sleep the system by closing the lid and sometimes come back to it hours later to find the system has turned back on (lid still closed). Often the system is running pretty hot and has
    remained in that state for a long time.

There are no external peripherals (so no external keyboard or mouse event is involved). From looking at wake sources, it usually appears to be that it woke checking for updates.

I've seen some online tips on how to completely prevent the laptop from waking up on its own. But that seems to me to be the wrong question. Checking for updates is fine. The real problem is: why hasn't it gone back to sleep? My power settings are configured
    to go into sleep after 30 minutes, and under normal conditions (lid open, stepping away from the system for a while) it does. But if it wakes on its own, it will not go back to sleep.

Thanks!

ScrappyD, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Laptop tries to wake from sleep while lid is closed.

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV53A with Windows 10 Home installed. When I close the lid, it goes to sleep normally for a few hours, but after a few hours it will start to get caught in a never ending "wake up loop" i.e. the laptop will try to wake itself up before quickly
    realizing that it can't because the lid is closed. The DVD drive will continuously start to spin up each time. This happens every two or three seconds. The sound of the DVD drive trying to spin up every three seconds is annoying and it also wastes battery.
    Normally, I have to hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the laptop after opening the lid again, but when it's in one of these wake up loops, it successfully wakes itself up upon opening the lid (evidence suggesting it's indeed trying to wake itself up.)

I've tried using the command line to see what devices are permitted to wake up the device, but none were listed. I've also disabled wake on LAN.

The only clue I've been able to find is an error in the system log that reads: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

However, I'm not sure this pertains to the specific issue I'm having.

TaylorPinkham, Dec 18, 2019
  4. New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid.

Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid.

1. New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid. - Similar Threads - laptop reboots instead

2. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  3. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  4. Laptop reboots when lid is closed or when inactive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop reboots when lid is closed or when inactive: I have the lenovo leigion 5 proWhenever I close the lid and come back later to open it i see the start up screen and when i log in everything is gone. In power settings i have close lid set to "do nothing"The same thing happens when Im inactive for a long time and the screen...
  5. Laptop reboots when lid is closed or when inactive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop reboots when lid is closed or when inactive: I have the lenovo leigion 5 proWhenever I close the lid and come back later to open it i see the start up screen and when i log in everything is gone. In power settings i have close lid set to "do nothing"The same thing happens when Im inactive for a long time and the screen...
  6. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  7. Laptop Shuts Down instead of Sleeping When I Close the Lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Shuts Down instead of Sleeping When I Close the Lid: Laptop Shuts Down instead of Sleeping When I Close the Lid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-shuts-down-instead-of-sleeping-when-i-close/af25b279-4190-4528-8f03-dd4290d6a1eb
  8. New laptop, Dell inspiron 7591, reboots very often instead of just waking up when I close...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New laptop, Dell inspiron 7591, reboots very often instead of just waking up when I close...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rubensoon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ebuhdq/new_laptop_dell_inspiron_7591_reboots_very_often/
  9. Display will not wake up after I close the lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display will not wake up after I close the lid: When I close my Asus laptop lid and then open it again, I get just backlight but PC is sleeping. I have to restart the computer to wake it up....
  10. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...