Windows 10: New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro

Discus and support New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ordered a Dell laptop: XPS 15 7590 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H (12MB Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 6 cores) 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD 32GB DDR4-2666MHz,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim McClain, May 1, 2020.

1. New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro

I ordered a Dell laptop:
    XPS 15 7590 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H (12MB Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 6 cores)
    1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
    32GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x16G
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
    15.6" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Anti-Reflective Touch IPS 100% AdobeRGB 500-Nits display

It comes with Windows 10 Home only - no option for Windows 10 Pro and I couldn't convince them to change it to that unless I wanted to cancel the order and re-order the newest iteration of that machine that now only comes with Win10 Pro. That change would have cost me more than $500.00 extra and the only difference would be the version of Windows 10.

The reason for this topic is to ask your advice on upgrading the laptop to Windows 10 Pro when it arrives sometime in late May. Should I do it the very first time I turn it on, or is there a specific procedure you think I should follow?

I haven't owned a laptop since 1997 (see photo below with my then girlfriend pretending she knows how to use it) - a Toshiba, if I remember correctly. I've built all my own computers since after I bought my first desktop in 1992, except for the laptop, of course. I want to scale down now, although I will be keeping my ASUS 27" IPS ProArt monitor, keyboard and trackball for when I use the laptop at home. I have purchased a 6TB external drive (Firebolt 3 connectivity) to store all my photos and personal files. I also have already received the Dell Thunderbolt Dock- WD19TB.

Your guidance would be appreciated.

New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro [​IMG]

:)

Jim McClain, May 1, 2020

2. Win10 Pro

Hi, I bought a Win10 upgrade license on my old laptop. At the time I had a lot of issues upgrading the OEM Win10 Home as the upgrade purchase didn;t come with a product key. After lots of phone calls with MS they eventually provided me with a product key
    and the laptop was upgraded to Win10 Pro.

I now have a new laptop and still require the Pro functionality. Following the steps here (which also tells me my Win10 Pro upgrade license is transferrable):

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

the OEMNew laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro :DM Win10 Home didn't upgrade using the MediaCreationTool (it just offers to install Win10 Home), and the System > Upgrade and Settings > Activation upgrade function doesn't accept the product key I've purchased.

Any help would be appreciated - although useful Win10 is awful to upgrade and MS seem to have deprecatated a lot of their contact options.

FractalMonkey, May 1, 2020
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, May 1, 2020
  4. 1SWeber Win User

New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro

Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro

Hi, I'm running Win10 Pro on SurfaceBook. Can anyone suggest method or link to modifying Wi-Fi network preferences or order? Selecting and searching Help provided unrelated topics or results - no support. Thanks in advance. Steve

1SWeber, May 1, 2020
Thema:

New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro

1. New laptop will come with Win10 Home but I prefer Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - laptop Win10 Home

2. does Win10 Home or Pro come with a DVD Burner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does Win10 Home or Pro come with a DVD Burner?: Does either W10 Home or Pro come with an app to burn DVD's? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-win10-home-or-pro-come-with-a-dvd-burner/6aa6e212-93a9-43cb-8937-7f5340db6fde
  3. does Win10 Home or Pro come with a DVD Burner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does Win10 Home or Pro come with a DVD Burner?: Does either W10 Home or Pro come with an app to burn DVD's? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-win10-home-or-pro-come-with-a-dvd-burner/6aa6e212-93a9-43cb-8937-7f5340db6fde
  4. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro: We had activated copy of Win10 Home, paid for the upgrade to download Win10 Pro, and what was downloaded was Win10 Enterprise which I can not activate. The activation error is not having a valid digital license or product key. How do I get Win10 Pro which I paid for and get...
  5. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro: We had activated copy of Win10 Home, paid for the upgrade to download Win10 Pro, and what was downloaded was Win10 Enterprise which I can not activate. The activation error is not having a valid digital license or product key. How do I get Win10 Pro which I paid for and get...
  6. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: I cannot access the original restore point to go back to Win10 Home when I put in a DVD restore. It is dated March 29. 2020. I was fiddling around with WSL 2 and I wanted to try out Win10 Pro as a possibility to fix my issues. Now, I just want my email, browser and OS...
  8. Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro: I'm trying to upgrade my win10 home to pro but I'm stuck. The steps taken are below: 1. I disconnected my internet-connection. 2. I went to systems->"Update&Security" -> Activation -> "Change Product Key" 3. I entered the generic key "VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T" and the...
  9. Win10 home Up Grade to Win10 Pro

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win10 home Up Grade to Win10 Pro: Hi I purchased Win 10 Pro From Microsoft Store on Nov2019 .The Product Code was Not Given But Down From Loaded from store . When It was installing or Up grading From Win10 home to Win10Pro Finally Error Showing 0x0. So Far I was not Upgraded And Wasted Time and...
  10. Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: Recently I have replaced my Win 8.1 Home edition with a Win 10 Home edition. (64-bit) Now I would like to upgrade Win10 Home to a Win10 Pro Edition. How do I do that and what will it cost me? 31154