Windows 10: New Lenovo laptop w/Windows 10 Home - Major limitations (how to fix)?

Discus and support New Lenovo laptop w/Windows 10 Home - Major limitations (how to fix)? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We bought a new Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 Home. It's extremely limited and unusual to say the least coming from Windows 7. The first issues I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sammy888, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Sammy888 Win User

New Lenovo laptop w/Windows 10 Home - Major limitations (how to fix)?

We bought a new Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 Home. It's extremely limited and unusual to say the least coming from Windows 7.

The first issues I noticed were:
    1. no way to show add "My computer" or "My PC to the desktop
    2. I cannot find a way to disable smartscreening
    3. there's no Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
    4. no way to disable Windows Defender

Must I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro or are there tutorials here specifically for Win 10 Home users that can do all these things I mentioned?

:)

Sammy888, Mar 27, 2021

2. Suggest new laptop/notebook

I haven't seen laptop from Xiaomi.. are they good? Which model?

I liked hp pavilion 360x series..suggest similar in other good brands..

I don't know why everyone hates hp so much? I have used 3 laptops from hp in last 10 yrs..latest is hp envy 17 3d , 4.5 yrs till now, first time encountered hardware problem now, that got fixed too with routine service...might need to replace fan later. But no major issue till now.. working like new even now

freebird_9924, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 27, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

Lenovo Ready to Launch Windows 10 Devices

Lenovo today announced it will begin shipping a wide selection of products loaded with Windows 10 starting July 29. Lenovo has an extensive list of products eligible for this upgrade including popular models like the YOGA 3 Pro and YOGA 500. Lenovo customers can check here for their product's eligibility.

Lenovo has worked with Microsoft Corp. to make the process of upgrading simple, for people with qualified Lenovo PC running Windows 7 SP1 or 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10. Starting on July 29, the updates will roll out. If a user has reserved a copy of Windows 10, he/she will be notified once the compatibility process confirms that the user will have a great experience, and Windows 10 has been downloaded on their system.

New Lenovo laptop w/Windows 10 Home - Major limitations (how to fix)? 91a_thm.jpg

Lenovo Apps Enhance Windows 10 Experience
    To give users consistent experiences across devices and operating systems, the preloads include a suite of Lenovo-written applications. The new Lenovo Companion 3.0 optimization tool keeps devices running at peak performance and can be used at any time to run a full-scale checkup and report back with specific actions to free up space and speed up the device. As a "smart" device control hub, the new Lenovo Settings lets users easily adapt and modify the way their device behaves. For example, when in tablet mode, the product will customize its display and other settings based on its orientation versus in traditional laptop mode. Alternatively, the device's usage will also alter its settings, for example when watching a movie versus reading an e-book. With SHAREit, customers can quickly transfer files between devices. For tablet users WRITEit takes the pen to a new level of functionality allowing users to write in any input field with their pen and the handwriting is converted to text.

As announced at Tech World in May, Lenovo and Microsoft have worked to integrate Cortana and REACHit, Lenovo's groundbreaking app that allows users who opt-in to search for and manage their content across multiple devices and cloud storage platforms. With REACHit, Cortana becomes even smarter and more personal, enabling users to find their content such as emails, photos and videos in ways they never thought possible. Cortana and REACHit gives users a seamless, intuitive way to search through natural language and contextual understanding.

"With Windows 10, computing gets more personal, productive and connected," said Tom Shell, senior vice president, PC Business Group, Lenovo. "Across our entire PC product line, from the office to the home, we've optimized our Lenovo devices to give customers a great computing experience while giving them enhanced search tools like Cortana with REACHit."

btarunr, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

1. New Lenovo laptop w/Windows 10 Home - Major limitations (how to fix)? - Similar Threads - Lenovo laptop Home

2. lenovo fixed laptop windows activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lenovo fixed laptop windows activation: Hello windows isnt activated , it was before i sent my laptop to lenovo, how do i reget an activation code?? aggrivating cause i cant access a lot of features...
  3. How to fix the booting of my lenovo laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix the booting of my lenovo laptop?: So, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 yogaSerial Number:R90NUF6AMachine Type Model:20JES0AJ00I have tried booting my laptop on multiple occasions, and it would often come up with a black screen, saying "2100: Detection error on Storage Device M.2" as well as restarting with a blue...
  4. How to fix the booting of my lenovo laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix the booting of my lenovo laptop?: So, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 yogaSerial Number:R90NUF6AMachine Type Model:20JES0AJ00I have tried booting my laptop on multiple occasions, and it would often come up with a black screen, saying "2100: Detection error on Storage Device M.2" as well as restarting with a blue...
  5. How to fix the booting of my lenovo laptop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Battery Behaviour of Surface Laptop 3 on Charging w/w batty limit on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery Behaviour of Surface Laptop 3 on Charging w/w batty limit on: I would like to know what will be the power source when I plugged the laptop with a power adaptor, turned on the batty limit in BIOS while the battery reached the limit 50% charged? Will it directly draw power from the adaptor or drain the batty and charge it at the same...
  7. New Lenovo W\ Win 10; Privacy Concerns

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Lenovo W\ Win 10; Privacy Concerns: Hey everyone, I just ordered a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Home 64. Now I've been using a locked down \ modded version of 7 Home 64 for years. Now the reason I say locked down \ modded, is because a round of updates from years before were considered to be a bit...
  8. Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed: Hi, As the title states I have a brand new Alienware R5-17" laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home installed. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I have not powered the laptop up yet because I know Windows will want to walk me through a first setup process along with activation....
  9. new laptop ---- Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new laptop ---- Windows 10 Home: I recently purchased a new Acer Aspire 1 laptop with windows 10 Home. Shouldn't the Windows 10 license be on sticker stuck to the laptop or on paperwork in the box the laptop came in?...
  10. Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home: Hello, Just got a new Lenovo laptop with Win-10 Home to replace my older Win-7Pro laptop. This laptop has a whole bunch of junk software that Lenovo has installed. I was wondering what the best way is: - backup the system so in case I need to, I can reset to...