Windows 10: New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable

Discus and support New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Alright folks, I usually manage on my own but here I'm starting to lose my mind, and I'm not familiar with PCI express stuff. Any help is appreciated.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JulienRoy2, Oct 28, 2020.

1. New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable

Alright folks, I usually manage on my own but here I'm starting to lose my mind, and I'm not familiar with PCI express stuff. Any help is appreciated.

I built my own PC some years ago, here are the relevant specs :

Windows 10 x64 on Samsung 850 EVO SSD 256GB with 1 TB HDD for random files.

Gigabyte H170-D3HP Motherboard, Link to motherboard specs

and I just bought a M.2 NVMe SSD :

Newegg page

WD Product info

What I know as of now !

It seems like the new SSD is seen by both my BIOS and Windows.

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable 010d598e-4287-4fbc-9b1d-a100e4f2e7fb?upload=true.jpg

It seems like the drivers are up to date, and the website doesn't provide any relevant downloads. Maybe I'm missing a BIOS setting see included screenshots, sorry for poor camera quality.

The Western Digital dashboard shows the SSD, as well as the Device Manager, but not the Disk Management.

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable 3cd09da3-4365-4d5b-8f93-582850aa5549?upload=true.png

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable 0d34ad66-8897-4753-a6a8-7ef975152efb?upload=true.png

It seems like there is no allocated space on the SSD.

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable 26e47ac8-e7a8-4916-8d4a-3bcb13777025?upload=true.png

As you can see in the screenshots, there is a "populate" option in the device properties, but it doesn't change anything from what I can tell.

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable 5f60005f-ab47-4e8c-a6c0-91e0237c4879?upload=true.png

Also, there is the "Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0" that is interesting.

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable 2bc5bf57-7957-4dfb-b74e-afaeae1d4739?upload=true.png

I'm aware that some motherboards will disallow some SATA ports if M.2 is connected, however, as per my motherboard manual, it shouldn't be an issue here, and I see it in device manager which suggests it's working, and a Windows issue.

If I can provide anymore information, it would be a pleasure.

Maybe I'm being super dumb here, as I said I have no clue about this new-gen SSD stuff.

I just want space to be able to install big softwares on this.

Thank you for your time.

:)

JulienRoy2, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Frabnkhs Win User

Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD

I've been trying to disable the IBM Optane RST in my system in preparation to installing a 1 TB NMVe SSD in the M.2 slot

With no success. I'm new to Windows 10 and all the fancy-schmancy gizmos like Optane RST memory and the like so....

My biggest hurdle seems to be disabling the Optane and switching the mechanical harddrive over to ACHI

Here are some screen pix of my system's bios.... showing specifically the SATA and Optane related parts. BIOS is latest & greatest

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable [​IMG]

And as an afterthought, do I need need to turn off boot protection?

I also tried Mr Brink's tutorial steps on ACHI turn on after installing to no avail

(Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation)

Frabnkhs, Oct 28, 2020
  3. mcjclc Win User
    M.2 SSD card

How do I get my Gemini laptop to recognize the M.2 SSD card

mcjclc, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Megahertz Win User

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable

M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

Is the M.2 disk recognized on BIOS?
    If it isn't, it's probably a hardware problem and you should as for a new in warranty.

If it's recognized on BIOS it's probably a corrupted software.
    Boot from a Win 10 installation disk, launch a cmd window (Shift+F10) and type:
    diskpart
    list volume (take note of the letter assigned to your windows in the M.2 drive)
    exit
    sfc /scannow /offwindir=X:\windows /offbootdir=X:\ (replace X with the drive letter found with list volume)

My recommendation is to create a utilities disk Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Megahertz, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable

1. New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable - Similar Threads - NMVe SSD recognized

2. Operating system not recognizing m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Operating system not recognizing m.2 ssd: The new storage is being recognized in the bios but not being recognized by my operating system. Already tried updating OS and am wondering what I should try next in order to get it to work. specs motherboard: msi x470 gaming pro SSD: intel 660p OS: windows 10...
  3. ?M.2 or ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  4. M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

M.2 SSD no longer being recognized: Six months or so ago I purchased an M.2 SSD and transferred windows from my old SSD to the new one. I've had no issues up until today but when I tried to boot my computer, windows randomly didn't recognize my SSD. It said reboot and select proper boot device. I've tried...
  5. M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

in Windows 10 Support
    M.2 SSD no longer being recognized: Six months or so ago I purchased an M.2 SSD and transferred windows from my old SSD to the new one. I've had no issues up until today but when I tried to boot my computer, windows randomly didn't recognize my SSD. It said reboot and select proper boot device. I've tried...
  6. Windows not recognizing new m.2 NVME SSD but shows in BIOS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows not recognizing new m.2 NVME SSD but shows in BIOS: I purchased a crucial nvme m.2 ssd for my MSI GT73 Titan - It shows in the PCIE section of the BIOS but does not show in disk management - Also does not show up in Crucial's Storage Executive Application. My BIOS is the latest version. Any ideas?...
  7. M.2 ssd's

M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  8. new m.2 pcie ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new m.2 pcie ssd: I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to leave in the old drive so as I can boot into the new drive? 54011
  9. SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD

SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD: I bought a new SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NVMe SSD. Mr Google on several sites said that a DVD install will fail at the make Partition stage. I installed from a DVD no problem. The only changes I made in the UEFI was to disable the other drives so as to be sure to install to the...
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...