Windows 10: new m.2 pcie ssd

Discus and support new m.2 pcie ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fjk61011, Jun 20, 2016.

1. fjk61011 Win User

new m.2 pcie ssd

I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to leave in the old drive so as I can boot into the new drive?

:)

fjk61011, Jun 20, 2016
  2. Js3199 Win User

Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Jun 20, 2016
  3. Black screen after today update

Then, other users / Experts have to go to their keyboards for giving better suggestions than mine...

And it's good to have another computer, when the new one won't work...

And an SSD-drive don't say anything, because it don't have any moving parts...
    new m.2 pcie ssd :)

From the tech spesifications:

• SSD, SATA M.2: 128GB / 192GB / 256GB OPAL 2.0 / 512GB
    • SSD, PCIe-NVMe Gen3x4 M.2: 512GB3

If it's long time ago, you have had the old laptop turned on, then perhaps, it's downloading and installing updates, and that's because it's slow?

MicaelNielsen, Jun 20, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

new m.2 pcie ssd

Hi,

If you have or have access to another Win 10 machine then you can remove the drive and hook it up to that machine.
    Delete the windows partition from there and create and format a small Fat32 partition in the empty space, 150 Mb is plenty.
    Assign a drive letter to the new partition.
    Set it to active.

Now run the following command line from an admin prompt:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: where S: is the drive letter assigned to the new partition.

Or bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI if you want it UEFI only.

If you'd like the disk to be bootable on both bios and EFI machines then the following command line will take care of that:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f ALL again S: being the assigned drive letter.

If you don't have access to another machine then all of this can be done from a W10 rescue or PE disk/stick as well.

You mean it doesn't show up among the boot options, correct ?

Have you tried installing W10 on the M2 drive without the other drive present ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 20, 2016
  5. fjk61011 Win User
    Will try the last suggestion. Yeah doesn't show up in the bisos/uefi screen so I can't boot from the new m.2 ssd. Win setup identifies all drives. Makes me think that I'll need the win boot manager on the old drive

fjk61011, Jun 20, 2016
  6. fjk61011 Win User
    Do I run the bcdboot command on the old disk aan delete the Windows partition on the old disk

fjk61011, Jun 20, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    From the specs of your Motherboard at Asus

Z97-A | Motherboards | ASUS USA

You are going to have to enable it in BIOS and probably disable the PCIeX1_1 and 2 slots. I suspect there is an option in BIOS for boot from PCIe.

essenbe, Jun 20, 2016
  8. fjk61011 Win User

new m.2 pcie ssd

Yup. M.2 is enabled in the bios. It's a plextor card listed on Asus website. No informationabout booting

fjk61011, Jun 20, 2016
  9. essenbe Win User
    On page 2.42 in your Manual under Advanced Configuration > On board Devices, make sure it is set as this states

new m.2 pcie ssd [​IMG]

essenbe, Jun 20, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jun 20, 2016
  11. fjk61011 Win User
    Yup, set to M.2

fjk61011, Jun 21, 2016
  12. fjk61011 Win User
    fjk61011, Jun 21, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

new m.2 pcie ssd

Hi,

Given the chipset and MB you should be able to boot from the M2 SSD.
    If you use or have a Macrium Reflect rescue disk boot from it and from the menu select fix boot.
    Reboot and it should run Windows.
    But first of all make sure your bios settings are set to Asus' recommendations otherwise it will never work.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 21, 2016
  14. fjk61011 Win User
    new m.2 pcie ssd [​IMG]

This is the set up at the moment. From a dual boot I can boot into the Build on the new M.2 SSD

What I want to do is regain the space from the old drive, the one with three partitions.

fjk61011, Jun 21, 2016
  15. fjk61011 Win User
    http://www.newegg.com/global/ie/Prod...82E16820249046 This is the SSD I have.

fjk61011, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

new m.2 pcie ssd

1. new m.2 pcie ssd - Similar Threads - pcie ssd

2. PCIe SSD Drive showing in Bios, but not showing in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PCIe SSD Drive showing in Bios, but not showing in Disk Management: HiI just bought a 4TB PCIe NVME SSD Hard Drive from Crucial and they’re closed for the weekend now so I can’t get support from them.I’m trying to install it in my Alienware M15 laptop computer and have checked compatibility with both Alienware Dell and Crucial.When I put the...
  3. PCIe SSD Drive showing in Bios, but not showing in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PCIe SSD Drive showing in Bios, but not showing in Disk Management: HiI just bought a 4TB PCIe NVME SSD Hard Drive from Crucial and they’re closed for the weekend now so I can’t get support from them.I’m trying to install it in my Alienware M15 laptop computer and have checked compatibility with both Alienware Dell and Crucial.When I put the...
  4. Cannot find PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD during Windows 11 installation but found in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD during Windows 11 installation but found in BIOS: I'm trying to install Windows 11 on my new PC.Hardware:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUSSSD: Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD installed on M.2_1 slot, supports PCIe 4.0 x4 & SATA modesWindows ISO:Downloaded from...
  5. Cannot find PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD during Windows 11 installation but found in BIOS

Cannot find PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD during Windows 11 installation but found in BIOS: I'm trying to install Windows 11 on my new PC.Hardware:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUSSSD: Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD installed on M.2_1 slot, supports PCIe 4.0 x4 & SATA modesWindows ISO:Downloaded from...
  6. PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI: I have a PCIE SSD it is seen both by the bios and the OS if I boot UFEI With CSM on off of a Disk initalized as MBR. If I run MBR2GPT and convert my disk to GPT change my Boot to be now the windows bootloader and either leave CSM on or turn it off it doesn't seem to matter...
  7. PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI: I have a PCIE SSD it is seen both by the bios and the OS if I boot UFEI With CSM on off of a Disk initalized as MBR. If I run MBR2GPT and convert my disk to GPT change my Boot to be now the windows bootloader and either leave CSM on or turn it off it doesn't seem to matter...
  8. PCIE SSD not seen in the OS after converting boot Drive to GPT format and booting UFEI

9. Transfer Windows 11 pro OS from SSD to PCIe SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 11 pro OS from SSD to PCIe SSD: Is there a Microsoft application that allows us to transfer Windows 11 Pro from SSD to PCIe SSD without losing the license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-11-pro-os-from-ssd-to-pcie-ssd/dff53628-c976-47ae-a83e-b1415fd99088
  10. Transfer Windows 11 pro OS from SSD to PCIe SSD

Transfer Windows 11 pro OS from SSD to PCIe SSD: Is there a Microsoft application that allows us to transfer Windows 11 Pro from SSD to PCIe SSD without losing the license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-11-pro-os-from-ssd-to-pcie-ssd/dff53628-c976-47ae-a83e-b1415fd99088