Windows 10: New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel

Discus and support New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has released a new Media Player for Windows 11. The app is currently exclusive to the Windows Insider Program, more specifically, to the Dev... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 18, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel

Microsoft has released a new Media Player for Windows 11. The app is currently exclusive to the Windows Insider Program, more specifically, to the Dev Channel Builds.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel New-Media-Player-for-Windows-11-released-for-Insiders-on-the-Dev-Channel.png
    Despite its name, the app is actually a replacement for Groove Music. Don't let that confuse you, because the new Media Player can play videos too. Microsoft has confirmed that the legacy Windows Media Player will continue to exist as part of Windows Tools.

How to download the new Media Player for Windows 11

1. Go to Adguard's website, click the drop-down menu on the left, and select Product ID

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel Download-Media-Player-For-Windows-11.jpg

2. Paste the following code in the text box: 9WZDNCRFJ3PT.

3. Click the drop-down menu on the right, and choose the Fast option.

4. Hit the checkmark button, and the website will display a couple of dozen results.

5. Scroll down till you see Microsoft.ZuneMusic among the list. There are quite a few of these, the one you need will start with the number 11, and end with a .MSIXBundle.

E.g. Microsoft.ZuneMusic_11.2110.34.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.msixbundle

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel Download-Windows-Media-Player-For-Windows-11.jpg

Who remembers Microsoft Zune?

It's about 34MB in size. Download the installer, execute it, and run the app. It will update the Groove Music player to Media Player.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel Update-windows-media-player.png

Note: Firebox blocked the download for some reason, claiming it is a potential security risk. Here's the result on VirusTotal, spoiler alert, it's clean. The app is Microsoft, obviously it is safe, but it never hurts to check.

credit: u/Sharkstax

Overview of the Media Player for Windows 11

The new Media Player for Windows 11 has a sleek interface that isn't dissimilar to Groove Music's, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The start page lets you Open a media file, Open a folder and play all the media inside it, or open a URL to play a video or music stream. Files that you open will be added to the music or video library automatically. You can access them using the sidebar to the left edge of the screen.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel windows-media-player-open-files.png

The sidebar has a search bar at the top and shortcuts to various areas like Home, Music Library, Video Library, Play Queue and Playlists. The playback control bar at the bottom is nothing fancy. It lets you shuffle the playlist, jump between previous and next tracks, rewind by 10 seconds or fast-forward by 30 seconds, and toggle repeat mode. Clicking the speaker icon brings a volume control slider in to view.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel New-Media-Player-for-Windows-11-interface.png

The Mini player mode has been retained, it displays the album cover art, and has the play/pause, previous and next track buttons. The ... button lets you view the song's Properties, access the built-in Equalizer, control the Playback Speed, Cast to device, and toggle Zoom to fill.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel windows-media-player-mini-view.png

Right-click on a track or a video in your library, to set it to play next, add it to a playlist. The Music library remains identical to Groove's, you can access your collection by Songs, Albums and Artists. The new Media Player lets you sort tracks by name, artist, album or release year. You can filter the view by using the Genres menu.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel new-windows-media-player-version.png

The app supports Shuffle and Play too. Head to the Settings to choose your Music and Video library folders. You may switch between the Light and Dark themes for the app, or set it to follow Windows' theme.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel New-Media-Player-for-Windows-11-Dark-Mode.png

When I tried installing the app on the stable version of Windows 11, it displayed an error that said, your computer needs to be running Windows 11 Build 22471 or above. So I tested it on Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22499.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel Windows-Media-Player-installation-failed.jpg

I opened the MSIX bundle in 7-Zip, and the archive contains x86 and x64 versions of the app. So it is possible that the new Media Player will be available for Windows 10.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel HEVC-extensions.png

Note: If you try to play HEVC videos (h.265 or x265), you will be prompted to purchase the HEVC Video Extensions for $0.99. If you don't have it, the app will only play the audio. I have the license, and can confirm the media player works fine with HEVC videos.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel New-Windows-Media-Player-HEVC-video.png

I have only used the app for a day, but it has impressed me. The new Media Player for Windows seems to be a good upgrade over Groove Music, while retaining the simplicity and features of the old app. Groove Music player didn't recognize most of my tags, but the new Media Player did. The app downloaded media art automatically too, even though my tracks had one for albums. But it was nice to see a different image in the mini view uses panel.

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel New-Windows-Media-Player-MP4-videos.png

The player resumes videos from the last playback point. I tested it with FLAC, MP3, MP4 and MKV media files, and had no hiccups with it, even in a virtual machine.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 18, 2021

2. Windows Media Player 11 misses release day

Microsoft had scheduled Windows Media Player 11 for final release on October 24th, 2006. Microsoft has delayed release of the next version of its media player to an unspecified date. "As with any release, quality is our top priority, and we felt we needed a few additional days to bring Windows Media Player 11 up to the high quality standards we--and our customers and partners--demand." Microsoft did not mention exactly what part of Windows Media Player 11 didn't meet the bar. Microsoft has no defined date of when Windows Media Player 11 will be released, though rumors around the internet claim that Microsoft will release it on October 30th.

Source: CNET

zekrahminator, Nov 18, 2021
  3. Windows 10X Release of Dev Channel

Hi Cosmin,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Windows 10X Insider builds haven't released to public yet. There are speculations that it would be soon.

However, Windows 10 builds have moved to rs_prerelease branch recently in the Dev channel.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Nov 18, 2021
  4. New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel

Windows 10X Release of Dev Channel

Hello Windows 10X Was Released on Dev Channel Please to RTM ?

CosminKilba, Nov 18, 2021
Thema:

New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel

1. New Media Player for Windows 11 released for Insiders on the Dev Channel - Similar Threads - Media Player released

2. Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25169 released to the Dev Channel

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25169 released to the Dev Channel: Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25169 has been released to the Dev Channel. It adds a new way to use Windows Spotlight, a Multi-App Kiosk Mode, and fixes many bugs. [ATTACH] What's new in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25169 Windows Spotlight The update adds a new...
  3. Leaving windows insider dev channel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Leaving windows insider dev channel: Hello,I want to leave the windows 11 insider dev channel. The only way to do this is to reinstall windows 11, which will wipe all my files and software. I don't mind doing that, but the thing is I have dual-booted my laptop with Debian Linux and was wondering if this process...
  4. Leaving windows insider dev channel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Leaving windows insider dev channel: Hello,I want to leave the windows 11 insider dev channel. The only way to do this is to reinstall windows 11, which will wipe all my files and software. I don't mind doing that, but the thing is I have dual-booted my laptop with Debian Linux and was wondering if this process...
  5. Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22598 released for Dev and Beta Channels

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22598 released for Dev and Beta Channels: Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22598 has been released to the Dev and Beta Channels. It adds some new features to the Media Player app, Windows Spotlight, and fixes a number of bugs. [ATTACH] Media Player The Media Player app in Windows 11 supports 2 views in the artist...
  6. Windows 11 Build 22526 released to the Insider Preview Dev Channel

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Build 22526 released to the Insider Preview Dev Channel: Microsoft has released Windows 11 Build 22526 to the Developer Channel. Let's see what the first Insider Preview of 2022 brings. [ATTACH] The announcement article mentions that the company is testing a windowed mode for Alt + Tab. The feature is only available for some...
  7. Can’t switch Windows Insider Channel on Windows 11 – Dev or Beta Channel

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t switch Windows Insider Channel on Windows 11 – Dev or Beta Channel: [ATTACH]If you cannot switch Windows Insider Channel on Windows 11, here is a simple fix for you to get rid of this issue. You need to execute a command in Command Prompt to get back all the missing options in the Windows Settings panel in Windows 11. Can you change Windows...
  8. Microsoft releases the first build of the Windows 11 Insider Preview to the Dev Channel,...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releases the first build of the Windows 11 Insider Preview to the Dev Channel,...: Microsoft has released the first Windows 11 Insider Preview Build to users to test before the free upgrade lands this holiday season. An ISO for this update has not been released, and the announcement post doesn't mention if an image will be made available. [ATTACH] The...
  9. New Start menu is not there in my windows insider preview Dev Channel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Start menu is not there in my windows insider preview Dev Channel: I had updated my Windows to Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 2004 20221.1000 build with the help of the Windows Insider Program. I was expecting to get the new version windows 10 start menu. But It is not just there. I have tried fixing it in "Personalize". And I couldn't go...
  10. Windows 10X Release of Dev Channel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10X Release of Dev Channel: Hello Windows 10X Was Released on Dev Channel Please to RTM ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10x-release-of-dev-channel/ca1a0d18-b4ea-47b8-815e-1df1a1729254