Windows 10: New Microsoft Edge vulnerability discovered

Discus and support New Microsoft Edge vulnerability discovered in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Trailing along a number of vulnerabilities across Microsoft’s range of products recently, yet another major security flaw has been discovered. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 11, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

New Microsoft Edge vulnerability discovered

Read more: New Microsoft Edge vulnerability discovered, leaks password and cookie data, such as Twitter and Facebook passwords | On MSFT

Update: Microsoft responds to 3 unpatched Microsoft Edge vulnerabilities, no fixes available yet | On MSFT

:)

Brink, May 11, 2017

2. (Possibly dumb question alert) Does Windows Reader use the same PDF library as Edge?

Let me be more specific. Security bulletin MS16-115 calls out an issue with "Microsoft Windows PDF Library". This is a software library (e.g. DLL), not a container for files. Within this bulletin, there is this question and answer:

The PDF Library vulnerabilities discussed in this bulletin are also discussed in the Microsoft Edge bulletin being released in September. To be protected from the vulnerabilities, do I need to install multiple updates for my particular system and
    Microsoft Edge configuration?

No. Customers running Windows 10 systems only need to install the one cumulative update for their system to be protected from CVE-2016-3370 and CVE-2016-3374. The PDF library vulnerabilities also appear in the Microsoft Edge bulletin (MS16-105)
    because on Windows 10 systems the security fixes for these vulnerabilities reside in the Microsoft Edge component that is shipping in the cumulative update.

So, clearly, this update affects Microsoft Edge and its PDF reading features. Thus, my question is, does it also apply to the "Windows Reader" app? Do Edge and Windows Reader share this "Microsoft Windows PDF Library" in common?

RCMPenguin_01, May 11, 2017
  3. (Possibly dumb question alert) Does Windows Reader use the same PDF library as Edge?

The PDF Library vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft Edge will not affect the Windows Reader app. They have the same concept though they are not sharing the same library components, as Microsoft Edge and Windows Reader app are two different applications.

Hope this helps.

Josette Sal, May 11, 2017
Thema:

New Microsoft Edge vulnerability discovered

1. New Microsoft Edge vulnerability discovered - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge vulnerability

2. Critically severe Windows vulnerability discovered

in Windows 10 News
    Critically severe Windows vulnerability discovered: In May 2017, the WannaCry ransomware attack swept the globe, affecting computers that used Microsoft Windows. During the attack, users' files were locked and a ransom in Bitcoin was demanded in exchange for their release. It hit hundreds of thousands of computers globally and...
  3. Twitter for Android security vulnerability discovered and fixed

in Windows 10 News
    Twitter for Android security vulnerability discovered and fixed: We recently discovered and fixed a vulnerability in Twitter for Android related to an underlying Android OS security issue affecting OS versions 8 and 9. Our understanding is 96% of people using Twitter for Android already have an Android security patch installed that...
  4. the new Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the new Microsoft Edge: After downloading the new Microsoft Edge I have no sound whenever I'm on a website which use audio; videos, music, News videos no sound but, only when using Edge browser. Internet explorer browser still works fine, how do you fix this?...
  5. New Microsoft Edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Microsoft Edge?: How do I access my email in New Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-microsoft-edge/609e36ef-8fa0-4e20-8fbc-9d9373c327fa
  6. New Vulnerability in the Microsoft Cryptographic Library

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New Vulnerability in the Microsoft Cryptographic Library: See this post about a new vulnerability in the Microsoft Cryptographic Library. "NSA discovers security flaw in Microsoft Windows operating system" The article references KB4534306 and the updates here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4534306I can't...
  7. McAfee discovers new Windows 10 Cortana vulnerabilities that could manipulate locked systems

in Windows 10 News
    McAfee discovers new Windows 10 Cortana vulnerabilities that could manipulate locked systems: Today, McAfee has announced that it has discovered a new vulnerability in Windows 10’s Cortana digital assistant which could be used to manipulate locked systems with physical access. It’s worth noting that the two new flaws have been addressed as part of Microsoft’s August...
  8. McAfee discovers code execution vulnerability using Microsoft’s Cortana

in Windows 10 News
    McAfee discovers code execution vulnerability using Microsoft’s Cortana: Microsoft has improved the search feature in Windows 10 with Cortana digital assistant, and it’s now easier to find the information that you’re looking for straight from Cortana with simple voice command. The talented security researchers at McAfee discovered a code execution...
  9. Google outs severe Microsoft Edge vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Google outs severe Microsoft Edge vulnerability: GOOGLE PROJECT ZERO RESEARCHER Ivan Fratric has had enough of Microsoft not fixing a severe vulnerability in Microsoft Edge and blown a big whistle on it. This is what Project Zero does. Fratric took the issue to Microsoft last year, and the firm failed to fix it within...
  10. Kaspersky Lab discovers Silverlight zero-day vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Kaspersky Lab discovers Silverlight zero-day vulnerability: Kaspersky Lab has discovered a dangerous zero-day vulnerability in Silverlight, potentially placing millions of users at risk. In a blog post on Wednesday, the cybersecurity firm said the vulnerability would allow an attacker to gain full access to a compromised computer...