Windows 10: New Modem-Router - Home Network (Device Access)

Discus and support New Modem-Router - Home Network (Device Access) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just bought a new/replacement modem-router this past week (Netgear N600 - C3700), and love it. I decided to also set up a private home network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FullGrownNut, Jun 13, 2020.

1. New Modem-Router - Home Network (Device Access)

I just bought a new/replacement modem-router this past week (Netgear N600 - C3700), and love it. I decided to also set up a private home network between my two desktop computers. I've always wanted to do this with my previous router, but just never did. I also connected an external storage device to the USB port in the back of the Modem-Router, which works between the two.

Then, with my actual files and folders in my two computers, I was finally able to figure out how to share folders between the two within Windows. My old computer, which is connected to the network, has Windows Vista in it, and my main computer has Windows 10 Pro (64-bit). The only way I was able to share selected folders with no security/access errors ('access denied'), was to set the sharing to 'Everyone' within the network. I found a few YouTube videos with these instructions, so that's what I did.

I live in a duplex, and I do have a neighbor downstairs who uses my WiFi through a guest network I set up just for her (same thing with my previous modem-router), but she only uses it for her phone and Smart TV that has an Amazon Firestick. Again, this is the first time I ever set up a home network, but I want to be completely sure about it.

My really stupid question is this. I don't think she has a computer, but either way, someone connected to my modem-router via WiFi would not have access to my shared folders, right? I'm assuming, whichever devices show up in the Network window, within Windows, would be the devices which have access (part of the network).

Everything in the attached screen shot belongs to me (all my devices, none of hers). The two main ones at the top are my two desktops.

:)

FullGrownNut, Jun 13, 2020
  2. Darren Win User

Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Unable to access the Admin page of my modem router since latest Windows 10 update

Since I updated the latest Win 10 update, I am unable to access my modem router's admin page. I previously never had any problems logging to the admin page. I took the extra step of uninstalling my antivirus/firewall program and logging in to no effect.
    I can access the internet and have no issues in viewing any website. The only time I have been able to access the modem router admin page since the last Windows 10 update is when I start windows in Safe Mode with networking. Refer message below:

Your Internet access is blocked
    Firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection.

Try:

• Checking the connection
    • Checking firewall and antivirus configurations
    • Running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

Check your Internet connection
    Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

BillFrauendorff, Jun 13, 2020
  4. New Modem-Router - Home Network (Device Access)

Will a new router and/or modem help?

Q1./ Which netgear?
    Q2./ How many ACTIVE LAN connections physically attached to the router?

I have a FVL328. Its quite old. But it still runs like a rocket. Has VPN. Has great inbuilt security. However, I just upgraded the LAN as follows:

• New modem. The new modem has definitely improved the connection.
    • Put the "backbone" of the network on a JGS524, with ONE connection to the router. The router also drivers a printer and a wireless AP (WG302).
    Overall improvement in LAN performance. FVL328 still doing the job fine.

Tip1: If you have an old consumer router... or a VERY OLD prosafe... it might be worth upgrading. But I can definitely recommend the route of cheap second hand prosafe FVS328 or higher. Dont go for th FVS318 that has slow/cheap low bandwidth hardware.

Tip2: Try and avoid all-in-one routers. If your router is ALSO driving wireless LAN this will really slow down the whole router and expose it to crashing esp. if you use WEP etc. Separate the router from the wireless AP.

Tip3: Most router crashes are caused by IP conflicts on other devices. Make sure no OTHER devices are bringing the router down.

lemonadesoda, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

New Modem-Router - Home Network (Device Access)

1. New Modem-Router - Home Network (Device Access) - Similar Threads - Modem Router Home

2. Laptop does not detect wifi network after new modem/router installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not detect wifi network after new modem/router installed: Spectrum sent me a new modem/router. I installed it and several devices connecedt without trouble. My laptop does not detect the new network but it sees dozens of others. I have rebooted the laptop, modem, router. I ran Windows update. I have Windows 10 pro. The laptop worked...
  3. Laptop does not detect wifi network after new modem/router installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not detect wifi network after new modem/router installed: Spectrum sent me a new modem/router. I installed it and several devices connecedt without trouble. My laptop does not detect the new network but it sees dozens of others. I have rebooted the laptop, modem, router. I ran Windows update. I have Windows 10 pro. The laptop worked...
  4. Laptop does not detect wifi network after new modem/router installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. 2 routers - access to outside router devices

2 routers - access to outside router devices: I have an ASUS router rt-ac66u behind an HH3000 routerSagecomm 5566. When directly connected to the HH3000 by WiFi, I can see It's USB storage using \\mynetwork in documentation per the ISPs instruction. When only connected to the ASUS i did setup a route and, I can ping...
  6. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  7. My router/modem is missing at ''View Network Computers And Devices''

My router/modem is missing at ''View Network Computers And Devices'': [img] Basically this was happening when i used to set a static IP trough IPV4 settings then, when i set everything default (enabling DHCP automatic) it would become visible again. The reason i wanna check it is that Im using program called Voobly for age of empires 2 and...
  8. My router/modem is missing at ''View Network Computers And Devices''

in Windows 10 Support
    My router/modem is missing at ''View Network Computers And Devices'': [img] Basically this was happening when i used to set a static IP trough IPV4 settings then, when i set everything default (enabling DHCP automatic) it would become visible again. The reason i wanna check it is that Im using program called Voobly for age of empires 2 and...
  9. Recognizing new modem/router combination

Recognizing new modem/router combination: I recently changed out my separate modem and router to a Netgear C6300 modem/router combination. I have 2 desktop units that are hard wired to this new unit. Every device is fine and updated except one of my desktop units. It connects to the internet, but does not connect...
  10. Need advice: Looking to buy new modem and router for my home

Need advice: Looking to buy new modem and router for my home: I'm looking to future proof the networking hardware for my home - but I can't find good recommendations. According to people's reviews (mostly on Amazon), either the modem or router doesn't last long, craps out frequently and requires frequent reboots - or the customer...