Windows 10: New Monitor and USB woes

Discus and support New Monitor and USB woes in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; 2-part problem... FIRST: I recently bought a new monitor and whenever I connect its USB-C cable to the PC tower, I get a notification in the blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by orlando1974, Feb 7, 2021.

1. New Monitor and USB woes

2-part problem...

FIRST:
    I recently bought a new monitor and whenever I connect its USB-C cable to the PC tower, I get a notification in the blue windows sidebar saying that the Display connection may be limited. and sends me here to learn more:
    post about https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nectionlimited

New Monitor and USB woes [​IMG]

Although the notification mentions DisplayPort, the page is all about USB-C so I'm thinking that it's an issue with the USB. But FWIW, the monitor's display is powered by a DisplayPort cable connected to Nvidia GTX760. I've set the monitor to use DP 1.2 since that is the highest this old card supports. So 1st issue is this notification popping up everytime the USB-C cable is connected from the monitor to the PC.

I should also mention that 1 of the USB ports that it is supposed to power is completely dead and the other will only detect/power half the things I tested - dongles work, webcam works, a novelty light works. Smartphone no, hard drives no, LED desk lamp no.

Seems like my unit is faulty but I was wondering about the notification message appearing.. is that normal?

SECOND:
    I also wanted to ask about what the purpose is of a USB-C cable when it states that it has power delivery 65w - I understand that a USB-C is just a physical format and that the specs of the ports is what matters. The USB-C on my computer is USB3.1 gen2 but on the monitor I don't know. The monitor has a built-in USB hub of 2 USB 3.0 ports. Is the 65W PD stated in the specs supposed to mean that it provides 65W of power upward to the built-in USB hub when connected to the PC?

Because curiously, if I take that same cable and instead of connecting it to the PC, I connect it to my smartphone, it starts charging it - so it seems like its able to power my phone straight from the monitor even if the monitor is no longer connected to the PC. It also launches "Samsung DeX" mode, whatever that is and displays "HDMI Connected). (but Windows doesn't see it as a device because the monitor is not connected to the PC at this point).

Would love some assistance on both issues...

:)

orlando1974, Feb 7, 2021
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Feb 7, 2021
  3. NdMk2o1o Win User
    New monitor suggestions, £200 budget

So I am getting (hopefully) £200 of amazon vouchers from work for Christmaqs and have decided I want to get a new monitor, my current is a 23" Samsung Syncmaster, I believe it's a TN panel and the res is 2048x1152. It really is starting to get on my nerves as the coloring is not very natural so I am thinking an IPS panel would probably be a lot better quality wise so I am open to some suggestions as I really don't have a clue when it comes to monitors.

Things to note:

• I do not want to go smaller than 24"
    • Would prefer 27" if possible for the budget
    • If not then perhaps 24" 120hz
    • I currently run 2048x 1152 though 1920 x 1080 is fine
    • Must come in at or around £200-£250 absolute max

NdMk2o1o, Feb 7, 2021
  4. New Monitor and USB woes

Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

New Monitor and USB woes

1. New Monitor and USB woes - Similar Threads - Monitor USB woes

2. Printing Woes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printing Woes: This is a new problem from a previously working setup. It started perhaps two weeks ago.I don't print a lot. When I do want to print something, and click print, I know communication is taking place, because the printer will immediately make noise and the carriage moves back...
  3. Printing Woes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printing Woes: This is a new problem from a previously working setup. It started perhaps two weeks ago.I don't print a lot. When I do want to print something, and click print, I know communication is taking place, because the printer will immediately make noise and the carriage moves back...
  4. Upgrade woes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade woes: G'day Currently on 1909 and trying to upgrade to 20H2. I always do clean installs when moving on to a new version of Windows 10 and have thus far never experienced any issues using the DVD method. I earlier began the process of creating a new ISO using the Media Creation...
  5. Download Woes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Download Woes: I’m still struggling to download Minecraft Dungeons to my PC. It started to download then I wake up to an error. Not the first time it’s had an error so I just click the arrow thing to resume. 0.10kb out of 2.96GB or whatever it is. It was obviously downloaded way more than...
  6. USB Woes

USB Woes: I plugged a thumb drive (I tried several) into the USB ports on my desktop (I tried several), while it would make the sound that something had been plugged in, the drive did not not show up in explorer. I looked in device manager and it was showing up in "other devices" with...
  7. Bluetooth Woes

Bluetooth Woes: First time posting here so here it goes. For months i've been playing games on my computer with my PS4 controller connected wirelessly. Then I deleted windows and redownloaded so I could partition more space (currently using my Mac as a gaming laptop at the moment) for extra...
  8. Update Woes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Woes: This is just an opinion for discussion, so far I was able to correct things. To Microsoft: Why do you keep updating Windows 10? And why must you set everything on my PC back to defaults? Do you know how long it takes to reset everything back on my PC? And this...
  9. USB-C woes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C woes: I know it's not a Windows 10 thing, but it is an Alienware 17r3 laptop running windows 10. Laptop comes with a USB-C plug, but my current USB-C hub is internally powered (t has no A/C adapter for power), which I presume is why it won't work with any SSD, SSHD, mouse receiver...
  10. WordPad Woes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WordPad Woes...: Hello. I've been having issues w/ Windows WordPad for quite some time (yrs.), but am just getting around to seeking help for lack of importance. It's important now as I'm using it primarily for cut & paste as church historian. My Issue: all of the text shows on the PC screen...