Windows 10: new motherboard activation problems

Discus and support new motherboard activation problems in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Yes I bought a dell computer with windows 7 Pro. I upgraded to the most recent windows 10 as the updates came out and were free. I recently had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SBennett2, Jul 12, 2021.

1. SBennett2 Win User

new motherboard activation problems

Yes I bought a dell computer with windows 7 Pro. I upgraded to the most recent windows 10 as the updates came out and were free. I recently had to replace my motherboard. Now it tells me the windows product key on my computer tower is invalid?

:)

SBennett2, Jul 12, 2021

2. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Jul 12, 2021
  3. Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hi William,

Thanks for replying so fast to my issue.

I followed the steps from the troubleshooter, and I reach the page where it asks me "Select this device from below". The problem is that my new device (a Gigabyte motherboard) doesn't show up on the list, only my previous motherboard (MSI).

When go to Sign in to your Microsoft account my new device is listed, as is my old one, but I don't seem to be able to make the new device pop into the list to transfer the license.

Do I have to select my old MSI motherboard from the list, and then press "activate"?

FYI: My license key is one that was upgraded from windows 8.1. I do have a product/license key of that version, but it is not accepted when I try to change my product key. It finishes in an error code 0xc004f050

MarkStraatman, Jul 12, 2021
  4. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Jul 12, 2021
Thema:

1. new motherboard activation problems - Similar Threads - motherboard activation problems

2. Windows will not activate on my new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will not activate on my new motherboard: Hello,I recently replaced my motherboard and Windows SSD boot drive with new hardware and Windows is now displaying "Activate Windows" watermark on my screen. It appears my copy of windows is still attached to my old motherboard which is no longer usable. I wiped the old...
  3. Windows activation on a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation on a new motherboard: Looking to upgrade my motherboard, I'm aware my license says it's OEM and from what I've researched people have said that means non-transferrable. However, in my activation settings it says it's "a digital license linked to your Microsoft account," and this...
  4. New motherboard not activating windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New motherboard not activating windows: So i got a new motherboard and cpu and now windows is asking to be activated, i bought windows 8 back in 2014 off amazon and then did the free upgrade to windows 10. Is there a way to get it activated or figure out my key? When i do the activation troubleshooter and it gives...
  5. Window activation on new motherboard

Window activation on new motherboard: New build and installed windows 10 but didn't activate. Motherboard was acting strange so exchanged for a different model after one day. Installed windows 10 again and tried to activate but getting message saying my product key was used on a different device and I can't...
  6. New Motherboard Activation issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Motherboard Activation issues: I have recently gotten a new Motherboard (the SSD where Windows is installed has not changed) and I can't get rid of the "Activate Windows" message in the bottom right, I have the original product key but I keep getting error code 0x80041023 whenever I try to enter it and the...
  7. New motherboard, can't activate

New motherboard, can't activate: Hi there, a number of years ago I received a free version of Windows 7 Pro from university. I still have the receipt email but the product key is behind a link which is no longer active. I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10 a few years back and everything was...
  8. Windows Activation On A New Motherboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation On A New Motherboard: I just installed a new motherboard but for some reason it is saying I cant activate windows with it. Every time I try to trouble shoot the issue it tells me the servers arnt working. Help!...
  9. Installed new motherboard...problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed new motherboard...problems: Greetings I had to install a new motherboard in my wife's computer, the system was flakey. The drives were C:, a Sandisk ssd, D: a DVD burner, and E: was a 2TB Seagate HD. After installing the new motherboard, the drives were C:, a Sandisk ssd, D: was a 2TB Seagate HD., and...
  10. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard: I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here. I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were...