Windows 10: New motherboard can't activate windows 10

Discus and support New motherboard can't activate windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just changed my motherboard and I am unable to activate Windows 10 Pro on it. The license is digitally linked to my Microsoft account. When I run the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JamesShamray, Nov 13, 2018.

1. New motherboard can't activate windows 10

I just changed my motherboard and I am unable to activate Windows 10 Pro on it. The license is digitally linked to my Microsoft account. When I run the activation troubleshooter, the pc shows up. I check that this is the device and click activate. It come back with this error message.

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. I tried several times without success.

I checked my devices online in my Microsoft account and it is showing a device for both the new and old motherboards. Do I just need to remove the old to be able to activate? I would do it it, but I don't want to screw up activating it on the new.

This in not an oem pc.

:)

JamesShamray, Nov 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 13, 2018
  4. New motherboard can't activate windows 10

New Motherboard, Windows 10 activation

Hi Austin,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Before changing the Motherboard, was Windows 10 activated?

You just need to activate Windows 10. Refer the link below.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU

• TPM

• Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD

• Video card

• Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

New motherboard can't activate windows 10

1. New motherboard can't activate windows 10 - Similar Threads - motherboard can't activate

2. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  3. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  4. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New motherboard, can't activate

New motherboard, can't activate: Hi there, a number of years ago I received a free version of Windows 7 Pro from university. I still have the receipt email but the product key is behind a link which is no longer active. I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10 a few years back and everything was...
  6. Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard

Can't activate Windows after new Motherboard: I am getting told I need to activate windows, I go to settings and it says to click troubleshoot which I do, I get two options either "click here to buy new windows 10 key" or "I changed hardware recently" I click the latter which opens up a new window with a loading thing,...
  7. Installed New Motherboard can't Activate Windows

Installed New Motherboard can't Activate Windows: I have recently upgraded motherboards on my PC that was purchased in 2013 with Windows preinstalled. I am getting an message that my Windows is not active. I do have a retail version of Windows. I ran the widows script that I have seen in previous post so I can see all my...
  8. Windows 10 Activation on New Motherboard

Windows 10 Activation on New Motherboard: I am currently looking into upgrading my motherboard that supports a specific CPU. I know that the Windows 10 license is associated with the motherboard I have currently. Am I going to run into any problems trying to pass Windows 10 onto a new motherboard? I do not want to...
  9. Activating Windows 10 on a new motherboard

Activating Windows 10 on a new motherboard: Sorry if this has been asked already, but I have a few questions. I am upgrading my motherboard soon, and from what I understand, windows keys are tied to the motherboard and not the hard drive. Is this correct? I have a windows 7 OEM copy; disc/key is with me. I...
  10. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard: I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here. I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant activate windows 10 new motherboard

2. new motherboard cant activate windows 10

3. new mobo cant activate windows

4. new motherboard windows 10 activation,
  5. windows activation new motherboard,
  6. new motherboard windows activation,
  7. windows 10 new motherboard activation not working,
  8. windows activation supported on new motherboard?,
  9. windows 10 avtivation with new motherboard,
  10. upgraded motherboard windows 10 activation,
  11. windows 10 activate new motherboard,