Windows 10: New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10

Discus and support New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, so I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and I need to reactivate windows 10, the auto activate thingy didnt work and I can't find the activation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by devlinfoley, Jan 26, 2021.

1. New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10

Hi, so I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and I need to reactivate windows 10, the auto activate thingy didnt work and I can't find the activation code in my email because for some reason the email is all broken up and not functioning anymore, is there anything else I can do or am I screwed?

:)

devlinfoley, Jan 26, 2021

2. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Plugging it into the new motherboard should be enough, but create a recovery drive in case you need to perform a startup repair:

The fact that you don't have a license key concerns me. If Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer, you can't transfer it to a new computer or motherboard. You will need to purchase an entirely new license.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 26, 2021
  3. WhyMe Win User
    New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Jan 26, 2021
  4. New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10

win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10

1. New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10 - Similar Threads - Motherboard cant reactivate

2. Can't reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard but when i try to reactivate windows through troubleshoot it keeps saying something about servers unavailable and i've been trying for 2 days When i plug in my old motherboard, windows activates by itself...
  3. Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change

Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change: I just got a motherboard upgrade and now I need to reactivate windows 10 Pro. I currently dont have the product key with me any more. Is there a way to reactivate my windows without my product key....
  4. Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install

Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install: Hi Everyone, My PC was pre-built by Digital Storm. I ended up having to update some hardware including my motherboard. Now, I'm encountering an issue when trying to re-activate my license (which should be tied to my Live ID). When I get to the activation page in settings,...
  5. New Motherboard, and I need to reactivate windows 10.

New Motherboard, and I need to reactivate windows 10.: Hi to the forum, My old motherboard died on me, and I now have a new one. I've had to reactivate a software licence, and then a message on the screen told me to activate windows. I wasn't expecting this to happen. However, I have logged into my account, and it has told me...
  6. New Motherboard need to reactivate windows

New Motherboard need to reactivate windows: I upgraded my computer a few months ago and its been slow and unable to properly update since. It is my understanding that I need to buy a new windows license for $140. Is there a less expensive way to go this? Or a discount of some kind? I was thinking it would be like...
  7. New motherboard won't reactivate

New motherboard won't reactivate: Just had to replace my motherboard, I have a digital licence for the PC Windows 10 won;t reactivate. Licence was the free upgrade from win 7 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-wont-reactivate/c9427cd6-bb88-4101-82bf-c583afc548eb"
  8. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard: My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course. Now Windows 10 is telling me that my copy is not genuine (when in fact it is). I have followed all the steps on the support page for this issue....
  9. windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard: hi guys..can someone help me ? i recently change my motherboard and my windows cant reactivate using trouble shooter from activation tab. is there any solution for this? my windows version is 1803 build 17134.48 . thanks before 111304
  10. New Motherboard and Reactivation

New Motherboard and Reactivation: I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards? If not, I...