Windows 10: New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

Discus and support New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all, very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dauthi, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Dauthi Win User

New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

Hello all,

very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 pro, so I bought a licence. At the same time I got a "great" idea of upgrading most of the PC hardware, so I ordered a new GPU, CPU, motherboard and some DDR4 RAM memory.

Here's the pickle: Now that I have already installed and concurrently used up the win10 licence on my PC running the old hardware, do I need to buy a new win10 licence after I replace the old motherboard etc?

My current motherboard is:
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85-PLUS

My new motherboard will be:
    Asus PRIME B450-PLUS ATX motherboard

Thank you in advance,
    Dauthi

:)

Dauthi, Nov 28, 2020
  2. Superfly Win User

Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard

What's confusing? Save the current digital licence to your MSA - then on new hardware, Activation toubleshooter will register a new digital licence that had been associated with your MSA registered digital licence.

Superfly, Nov 28, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    New motherboard

Hi NJDR, most likely you will need to purchase a new Windows 10 licence . .

Is your Windows 10 licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new Motherboard, if it is OEM it will not . ..

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2020
  4. quarkrad Win User

Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard

I had an oem win7 install that was 'free upgrade' to win10 and under the licence status it now says ....Windows is activated with a digital licence.... My motherboard is faulty and needs replacing - I have two choices, I have a newer pc that I could use or buy a new pc/motherboard. My understanding is that when I rebuild the new machine with a fresh copy of win10, and the activation servers see my new motherboard, they will not activate win10 becuase their database says that my original win10 install was from a win7 oem base. So, if this is the case, I assume I have to buy a full retail version of win10. If this is the new case and I install on my other 'newer' machine, there is a possibility that could fail at some point and I would have to buy a new pc (bare bones system). When I install a fresh copy of win10 on this brand new machine there will not be problem because my last install was from a retail version of win10 so activation will not be a problem. Further to this scenario - there is a limit of three hardware changes for a retail version of win10. Confirmation much appreciated.

quarkrad, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

1. New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence? - Similar Threads - motherboard need win10

2. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  3. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  4. I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...: My old hard drive died while upgrading to a new one . I can not seem to get everything to work. I have tried a clean install using a boot usb drive but the computer shuts down as soon as it tries to start up windows. Or it asks for a repair and then shuts down. All attempts...
  5. New licence

New licence: How do I install a new Windows 10 did and key when I just have a black screen and no apparent operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-licence/a93ba684-ad21-46c7-852e-da6bc57eb286
  6. Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence?

Building new computer, do I need to purchase a licence?: Hello all, I am intending to build a new computer from scratch and I need to be sure if I need to purchase a new licence or not. I originally purchased Windows 7 (retail), then upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and finally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Is my current licence...
  7. Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard

Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard: Hello, My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from windows 7. My PC is broken - I suspect its the motherboard and the hard drive is still working. Am I able to buy another machine, put in the old hard drive (if still working) and still use my existing windows 10...
  8. Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV

Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV: Hello can you please tell me if it is possible to transfer my Windows 10 Home OEM (anniversary update) licence that i got by upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home OEM to a new PC, that is, i just want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, ssd because of poor perfomance? Can I use the...
  9. Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard

Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard: I had an oem win7 install that was 'free upgrade' to win10 and under the licence status it now says ....Windows is activated with a digital licence.... My motherboard is faulty and needs replacing - I have two choices, I have a newer pc that I could use or buy a new...
  10. Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10: I've purchased all the components for my new PC..and it includes a completely new chipset on the motherboard (1151). I recently purchased a windows 10 key from here (Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International: Amazon.co.uk: Software). The USB flash drive Home...