Windows 10: New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD.

Discus and support New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I upgraded my motherboard & bought a new NVMe HDD. I connected my old HDD as a secondary backup. So I signed in with my MS account when I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by I WANT MY GIFS, Jan 22, 2020.

1. New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD.

So I upgraded my motherboard & bought a new NVMe HDD. I connected my old HDD as a secondary backup.

So I signed in with my MS account when I was installing Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool on the NVMe.
    Did the updates etc... It shows I need to activate Windows.
    I tried all the apps to show the keys; ProductKey, mykeyfinder, showkeyplus etc.. and I even did the .vbs trick all on my secondary HDD which has the activated Windows, as well as on my new HDD. Nothing.
    My copy of Windows 10 might have been upgraded from Windows 7,as I keep getting that generic Product Key code on some of the key finder apps (YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7), but it doesn't work when I enter it.

I learned with Windows, if you run into a problem that can't be fixed within a few minutes, just give up!
    So I saw this installation video talking about cheap keys for $15 that are legitimate & legal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHS_3qi0kXg&t=

Basically, can I buy this & will this work to activate Windows 10 Home?
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM CD KEY GLOBAL, Buy Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM CD KEY GLOBAL in Urcdkeys

They also sell a more expensive one for $38
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home Retail CD KEY GLOBAL, Buy Microsoft Windows 10 Home Retail CD KEY GLOBAL in Urcdkeys

Which should I get. Would the OEM version limit me in any way?

:)

I WANT MY GIFS, Jan 22, 2020
  2. VijaiD Win User

Windows activation on new HDD

I Have changed HDD, previously my Windows 10 was upgraded from 8.1.

I don't have activation key handy, used to log in thru MS id.

Whether Its possible to activate Windows with old license on my new HDD?, rest hardware are same.

Please help.

VijaiD, Jan 22, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD.

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD.

1. New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD. - Similar Threads - motherboard HDD can't

2. Trying to open Windows from an old HDD to a new Motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to open Windows from an old HDD to a new Motherboard and CPU: Hello, I decided to upgrade certain parts of the PC I built. I bought a new motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H, new CPU Intel core i5 10100, and new RAM to upgrade the older parts. I've put everything together, and I cannot get past the BIOS setup. I am not trying to buy...
  3. Old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old HDD: So I just found an old hdd I've been looking for and plugged it into my comp using a usb bridge. It didn't show in explorer so I checked disk management and there it is. It says it's healthy and while it's probably almost 25 years old, the drive is still running just fine...
  4. Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?: Sorry for the dumb question, but my dad recently gave me his computer which has windows 10 Pro inside of its hard drive (he doesnt have an ssd). I also just realized that windows 10 is not a free OS after 18 long years. Knowing this fact, Im not really willing into spending...
  5. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  6. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  7. Can't locate Activation Key from old PC/HDD. Need help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't locate Activation Key from old PC/HDD. Need help!: If this is the wrong location for this or duplicate, I will remove when I'm informed of so. I had an old HP workstation PC recently start crashing giving me that "Something has gone wrong" blue screen. This PC was nearing a decade old so I decided to rebuild outside of...
  8. Windows activation on new HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation on new HDD: I Have changed HDD, previously my Windows 10 was upgraded from 8.1. I don't have activation key handy, used to log in thru MS id. Whether Its possible to activate Windows with old license on my new HDD?, rest hardware are same. Please help....
  9. moving old hdd to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moving old hdd to new computer: I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting between win7 and win10, my question is "can it be done"? 11745
  10. Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC: I have an older PC in which the motherboard is dying. I bought a newer PC and since the HDD is still good on old PC I wanted to install the HDD to the new PC as a 2nd drive. That way i can keep the files and have more room. My question is to make room on old HDD can I delete...