Windows 10: New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

Discus and support New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I’ve had a gaming pc that I built a number of years ago and recently upgraded my CPU to find out that the motherboard was bottlenecking the speeds. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jklotz7, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Jklotz7 Win User

New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

I’ve had a gaming pc that I built a number of years ago and recently upgraded my CPU to find out that the motherboard was bottlenecking the speeds. So I upgraded to the MSI z170a motherboard with no installation issues. It booted right up to the bios but won’t actually boot windows. I reflashed the bios thinking maybe that’s where the issue was but still no luck. The bios recognizes my hard drive, as well as my m.2 ssd which has windows on it from prior. How can I get it to boot windows?

:)

Jklotz7, Jan 18, 2023

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 18, 2023
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jan 18, 2023
  4. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

Unable to Boot to SSD after Windows 10 Install

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time read this, I will try to keep it short, but I have been struggling for a while with this and tried a lot of different things!

Computer Info:

• Windows 10 Home v.2004 Build 19041.450
    • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    • 32GB RAM
    • Aorus Ultra Gaming X470 BIOS Version F30 (I have tried updating the BIOS with continued problems, so I stayed at this version)
    • Windows currently installed on HDD Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-22BN5A0 (this one is super old thus the attempt to transition to a new SSD)
    • I also have another HDD and SSD installed that I use for storage
    Main Problem: I am unable to get my computer to boot to my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD after installing Windows on it from the Media Creation Tool (I have also tried Rufus which ends up the same)

Prevailing Error Code: When I have just that SSD connected to the computer it will try to boot and give me the error message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device"

The Process I have Followed:

1. Clean/Wipe SSD using diskpart
    2. Shut down PC, disconnect power cord, hold power button
    3. Disconnect all other drives, USBs, etc.
    4. Boot to BIOS, which sees both the Media Creation Tool (MCT) and the SSD
      1. Disable CSM Support
      2. Disable Secure Boot
    5. I have tried both setting the MCT and the SSD as the 1st Boot Priority, as well as going to the Boot Order Menu, and selecting the MCT from there
    6. Once inside the Windows install, I have tried both 'New' when selecting the SSD, as well as simply hitting 'Next'. The MCT does the install no problem, but then when it says "Windows Needs to Restart to Complete the Installation" is when I have problems
      1. (interestingly the MCT only creates 3 Partitions on the SSD - does not create the 'Recovery' Partition)
    7. PC will Reboot but go right back to the MCT
    8. When I go back to the BIOS, the SSD is no longer "seen", if I simply remove the MCT flashdrive then I get the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" error
    I will link forums that I have follow to the T. I have experience with computers so I do not skip steps or take shortcuts.

Please someone help if possible! I will keep an eye on this post, and will be responding with answers as possible.

Thanks again for your time.

Eric Worth, Jan 18, 2023
Thema:

New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

1. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd - Similar Threads - motherboard install can’t

2. New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem: Updated motherboard and case as old system too old for win 11. I am using same SSD with same copy of windows that was authenticated. Now windows 10 sees I have a new system so try to authenticate but I am unable to remember my system password as been using the pin for years....
  3. New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New motherboard and case. Same ssd and windows copy. Authentication problem: Updated motherboard and case as old system too old for win 11. I am using same SSD with same copy of windows that was authenticated. Now windows 10 sees I have a new system so try to authenticate but I am unable to remember my system password as been using the pin for years....
  4. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd: I’ve had a gaming pc that I built a number of years ago and recently upgraded my CPU to find out that the motherboard was bottlenecking the speeds. So I upgraded to the MSI z170a motherboard with no installation issues. It booted right up to the bios but won’t actually boot...
  5. New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New motherboard install, can’t boot windows with the same ssd: I’ve had a gaming pc that I built a number of years ago and recently upgraded my CPU to find out that the motherboard was bottlenecking the speeds. So I upgraded to the MSI z170a motherboard with no installation issues. It booted right up to the bios but won’t actually boot...
  6. New motherboard, same ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New motherboard, same ssd: So, I am purchasing a new motherboard as the current one I have is having issues and has just ran out of warranty MSI B-550 A-ProHowever, I do not want to do a fresh install of windows, so how can I transfer my m.2 ssd over. is it just swapping over or is there more to...
  7. New motherboard, same ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New motherboard, same ssd: So, I am purchasing a new motherboard as the current one I have is having issues and has just ran out of warranty MSI B-550 A-ProHowever, I do not want to do a fresh install of windows, so how can I transfer my m.2 ssd over. is it just swapping over or is there more to...
  8. New motherboard, same ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Same SSD Used for a new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Same SSD Used for a new motherboard?: Recently I used two Windows 10 licenses to install 32-bit and 64-bit separately on two SSDs, but now the motherboard just failed. Windows licenses seemed to be valid for the SSD/HDD installed on only. If I replaced the motherboard only from a different manufacturer but...
  10. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD with new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD with new Motherboard: Hello everyone, I'm getting new Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-ZA170 Gaming K3-EU) and new SSD (SanDisk 120GB) tommorow. I've had Windows 10 x64 installed on my HDD until now and I'm planning to clean install it onto my SSD and remove it from HDD and use my HDD for pictures,...