Windows 10: New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...

Discus and support New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; **** title suggestsUpgraded motherboard & in the process needed to go to GPTInstalled all OK & 2nd drives storage spaces work fine but on E, no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gregory Reed, Jun 2, 2023.

1. New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...

**** title suggestsUpgraded motherboard & in the process needed to go to GPTInstalled all OK & 2nd drives storage spaces work fine but on E, no longer D available can see in partions guess reserved & not available to change in storage managementI am so use to using "D" & on other PC, can I rename.Don't think want to loose the recovery bit, which I assume is what had taken that overThanks I/A

:)

Gregory Reed, Jun 2, 2023

2. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

Only a boot drive needs to be MBR or GPT.

If your motherboard has a BIOS - use MBR.

If your motherboard has UEFI - use GPT.

47509e48-3862-4169-b9fc-f7f72689af01, Jun 2, 2023
  3. Move Windows 10 from an MBR drive to GPT drive?

I currently have a 2TB drive that may be on its last legs (frequent disk IO errors possibly involving pagefile.sys virtual memory file) and I'm trying to move/migrate it, and everything else on it, onto a new 3TB drive. The problem is the new drive is a
    GPT drive, the old one is MBR, and other cloning programs I've tried can't make make the GPT bootable, not even diskpart. The new C: partition will be 1.5TB (est), to replace the older 750GB partition.

My system is a Lenovo H520, which does have UEFI. How can I clone my system partition so it is bootable on the new drive?

WilliamTaylor_963, Jun 2, 2023
  4. New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...

Windows 10 USB Flash Drive - MBR or GPT?

Hello

I´d like to know if the Windows 10 USB Flash Drive is on
    MBR
    or GPT partition scheme.

I am considering to buy the Windows 10 USB version, but if it is on the old MBR partition scheme, I will not be able to install on
    UEFI mode.

Anyone who owns an USB copy?

Thank you all,

Ricardo

Ricardo.A.S, Jun 2, 2023
Thema:

New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...

1. New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but... - Similar Threads - Motherboard GPT drive

2. New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...: **** title suggestsUpgraded motherboard & in the process needed to go to GPTInstalled all OK & 2nd drives storage spaces work fine but on E, no longer D available can see in partions guess reserved & not available to change in storage managementI am so use to using "D" & on...
  3. New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Motherboard now with GPT drive ex. old MBR Drive D no longer available, is OK on E but...: **** title suggestsUpgraded motherboard & in the process needed to go to GPTInstalled all OK & 2nd drives storage spaces work fine but on E, no longer D available can see in partions guess reserved & not available to change in storage managementI am so use to using "D" & on...
  4. MBR to GPT had drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to GPT had drive: I’m trying to do a build with my cousin, he set the drive with windows to GPT because he said the msi MB can’t read MBR. Computer booted fine with just the windows drive. We plugged in my other drives and got this error https://i.imgur.com/CcjpMMA.jpg. His friend is claiming...
  5. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  6. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  7. D and E drives

D and E drives: Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why my D or E drives don't work, I want to copy some tracks onto my OC then burn them to another disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-and-e-drives/6cf8b911-ce0d-4e4e-a023-019f7c54a140
  8. mbr and gpt on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...
  9. Format mbr external drive to gpt

Format mbr external drive to gpt: I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get the 4 terabytes back.Hope I...
  10. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?: Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format. 8859