Windows 10: New motherboard restricts Windows licensing.

Discus and support New motherboard restricts Windows licensing. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Three years ago, a system I built on Windows 8 was upgraded for free to Windows 10 with a digital license. Several months ago, the motherboard failed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by madconductor, Nov 20, 2018.

1. New motherboard restricts Windows licensing.

Three years ago, a system I built on Windows 8 was upgraded for free to Windows 10 with a digital license. Several months ago, the motherboard failed and I have now installed a new one, same hard drive. It now says that I cannot activate my Windows because there is no license key.

:)

madconductor, Nov 20, 2018

2. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Plugging it into the new motherboard should be enough, but create a recovery drive in case you need to perform a startup repair:

The fact that you don't have a license key concerns me. If Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer, you can't transfer it to a new computer or motherboard. You will need to purchase an entirely new license.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 20, 2018
  3. New motherboard

How was Windows 10 setup on your computer?

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a preinstalled OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

If it was, then you can't transfer it to a new motherboard.

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

Then, yes, you can transfer it.

If its retail, the first thing I would make sure you do is link your license to your Microsoft Account:

Shutdown your computer, open the system unit, remove the old motherboard, install the new motherboard, connect your hard disk, then boot the system.

Windows 10 will automatically reconfigure itself then boot up.

Sign in.

If Windows 10 does not automatically reactivate, you can wait a few days.

If not, open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

Sign in

Click Next, then choose your computer from the list of machines.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 20, 2018
  4. harshsyd Win User

New motherboard restricts Windows licensing.

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

New motherboard restricts Windows licensing.

1. New motherboard restricts Windows licensing. - Similar Threads - motherboard restricts licensing

2. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  3. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  4. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. New motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New motherboard: New motherboard and SSD installed. Windows 10 installed on SSD, old hard drive connected for storage. Old hard drive has previous windows install and key on it, upgraded from Win 7 to 10. Key is the default product key for Windows 10 Pro. Trying to activate new Windows...
  6. Windows 10 refuses new license key after motherboard change

Windows 10 refuses new license key after motherboard change: Hello everyone,My situation is as follows:I upgraded both my motherboard and CPU this week. This lead to my Windows 10 Pro license not being valid anymore. If I remember correctly I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10, so I never really possessed a Windows 10 key to begin...
  7. Windows 10 Home - Restrictions Without License

Windows 10 Home - Restrictions Without License: I keep seeing a whole bunch of people say you don't need a Windows 10 license key anymore? Is this true? What are the limitations of installing Windows 10 Home without a license key? Why do I need a license key? Is Windows 10 completely free now and Microsoft is just being...
  8. Transfer license to a new HD, same motherboard.

Transfer license to a new HD, same motherboard.: Hello, I have a laptop that came with a pre-installed windows version, I already reinstalled for many reason, but I always kept the same HD, so no problem. However, today I need to change my HD, so I want to know if I can transfer my license. I have ready some articles...
  9. License and changing motherboard

License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648
  10. Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard: Hi, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need to activate...