Windows 10: New Motherboard. Unable to activate with Online account, nor find a product key from...

Discus and support New Motherboard. Unable to activate with Online account, nor find a product key from... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Quick overview of situation; Purchased and activated Windows 10 Pro Retail on a previous build. Upgraded motherboard for a new build, and wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cutbak, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Cutbak Win User

New Motherboard. Unable to activate with Online account, nor find a product key from...

Quick overview of situation;

Purchased and activated Windows 10 Pro Retail on a previous build. Upgraded motherboard for a new build, and wanted to deactivate on the old and activate on the new.

I did;
    slmgr.vbs /dlv

slmgr /upk

slmgr /cpky

That's all I found in terms of steps to deactivate a product key. I thought that my key was digital since I ordered it online. Otherwise I've found no receipt showing me my product key.

So I boot up windows installer on new computer, and proceed to log into my online account the key is registered to, I think. On the Microsoft site, it shows my new build as all green, and registered.

The old build reads as "To be filled by O.E.M.", which I don't know what that means. On the new build I go to Settings > Activation > 0xC004F213 as Error code. Activation > Troubleshooting > Changed Hardware Recently > My PC does not show up there as a way to reactivate.

I've been trying to contact support so I can hopefully provide Order Number and info Installation ID? from the /dlv command and they can report back to me my Product Key if I have one. But my Order History on Microsoft site shows the order of Windows 10 Professional, and I would just like to get it setup on the new PC.

:)

Cutbak, Jan 10, 2020

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Jan 10, 2020
  4. AlexSosa1 Win User

New Motherboard. Unable to activate with Online account, nor find a product key from...

Cannot Activate New Product Key

Just set up a new rig and bought a new Windows 10 Home, installed. Problem is my windows isn't activated and when I try to with my product key, i get this error 0xc004f050. I know this is the correct one and I have the receipt in my Microsoft account. Any
    suggestions?

made it again because the people who commented were very unhelpful.

Cannot Activate New Product Key

AlexSosa1, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. New Motherboard. Unable to activate with Online account, nor find a product key from... - Similar Threads - Motherboard Unable activate

2. Unable to find product key of Windows 10 Pro account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find product key of Windows 10 Pro account: Hi All,I had bought my laptop from the retailer with Windows 10 Home Edition.After a couple of weeks, I brought the upgrade from Microsoft store and upgraded my Windows to Windows 10 Pro Edition.Recently my system crashed and I had to change my hard disk and reinstall...
  3. Unable to find product key of Windows 10 Pro account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find product key of Windows 10 Pro account: Hi All,I had bought my laptop from the retailer with Windows 10 Home Edition.After a couple of weeks, I brought the upgrade from Microsoft store and upgraded my Windows to Windows 10 Pro Edition.Recently my system crashed and I had to change my hard disk and reinstall...
  4. Not finding product key from microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not finding product key from microsoft account: i had changed my hard disk recently, after the installation i have logged in my microsoft account. But whenever i'm trying to troubleshoot the activation it is saying " We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device...
  5. Activation key in a new product

Activation key in a new product: I currently have a Windows 10 Home key linked to my Microsoft Accout and I just bought a new computer with a new activation key. If I log in with the same Microsoft Account what happens to the key in my old computer?...
  6. Unable to find product key replacement from microsoft account

Unable to find product key replacement from microsoft account: Hi all, I am unable to find the product key replacement that i paid for back in 2016 for my windows 10 pro in my microsoft account. I can see it in my microsoft account under order history, but when i click on the product, it just redirects me to the main microsoft store...
  7. Lost product key and new motherboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost product key and new motherboard: My last motherboard died on me and I got a new motherboard I plan to install with my old SSD on it with windows. I intend to install a fresh copy but don't have my product key. How would I go about obtaining that key before I attempt to install anything? Thanks for any help....
  8. Windows 10 De-activated, Unable to find Product Key

Windows 10 De-activated, Unable to find Product Key: My version of Windows 10 de-activated itself following an update, and I'm unable to re-activate it. I cannot relocate my key in the registry (there simply is no value for it), despite this computer using Win 10 for 5 months without issue. I am very confused....
  9. Windows 10 Product Key Activation on another Motherboard or new pc

Windows 10 Product Key Activation on another Motherboard or new pc: I want to save myself a bit of money when buying a new pc by saving £100+ and get the windows key from the Pc im using now and putting into the new pc?...
  10. unable to activate product key

unable to activate product key: Hi Team, I'm unable to remind the product key after reinstalling the hardware. I have product ID with me, could I activate the my windows 10 with product ID. thanks, surya...