Windows 10: New next gen H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) codec

Discus and support New next gen H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) codec in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; After devoting several years to its research and standardization, Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners from industry including Apple, Ericsson,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Brink Win User

New next gen H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) codec

Source: Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute HHI

:)

Brink, Jul 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 getting HEVC H.265 Codec to use Hardware Acceleration

Playing HEVC H.265 videos using Windows Media Player and GoPro Quik then the 4k 60 fps video appears all stuttering and becomes a slideshow. The CPU usage is going through the roof and it's not using Hardware Acceleration. I have installed the "HEVC Video Extensions" from Microsoft Store. When I use the app "Movies & TV" for playing the video file then it uses around 1% CPU and Hardware Acceleration seems to be enabled.

How can I get Windows Media Player and GoPro Quik to use Hardware Acceleration?

"HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" (Free version that works with licence software like GoPro Quik): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hevc-video-extension/9n4wgh0z6vhq

I have tried following:

1. Uninstall all codecs, also the "HEVC Video Extensions" from Store: Windows Media Player plays only the sound, screen is black. Unable to open video in GoPro Quik
    2. Installed K-Lite Codec Pack (w/HEVC codec): Windows Media Player plays the video with both video and audio smoothly. The playback is hardware accelerated as it only used 1% CPU. Unable to open video in GoPro Quik
    3. Install "HEVC Video Extensions" from store (Regardless if K-Lite is installed or not): Windows Media Player plays video with both video and audio but it's stuttering. Playback is not hardware accelerated and it uses near 100% CPU. GoPro Quik is now able to open and edit the video but it's stuttering, using 100% CPU on playback and hard to edit the movie

System specifications:

• Windows 10 Pro N, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.165
    • Intel i7-8700K @ 3.7Ghz (8th gen, coffee lake, newer then Kaby Lake)
    • 16 GB Ram
    • Nvidia GeForce 1070 GTX (Driver version 398.82 which is the newest)

One solution would be using software like Handbrake to convert the video file from H.265 to H.264, but I consider that a "hack" as this really should work with my system spec.

Arne H. Bitubekk, Jul 6, 2020
  3. N8 Video Codecs?

following codecs are supported

Moderator's note: Affiliate website replaced with actual website. We don't allow affiliate websites on this Discussion Board.

shoaib20696, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Finding which videos in a directory of various videos are H.265?

Pity, I had hoped for some clarity on this *Sad

It appears there's none to be found, the term 'codec' being used somewhat 'freely' in the literature....

Video coding format - Wikipedia

Bree, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

1. New next gen H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) codec - Similar Threads - next gen 266

2. video codecs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video codecs: information about video codec https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-codecs/ebd1279a-4645-443b-8d58-dada726dbfb6
  3. video codecs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    video codecs: information about video codec https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-codecs/ebd1279a-4645-443b-8d58-dada726dbfb6
  4. VP9 Video Codec

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VP9 Video Codec: Nessus scan has critical hits on the VP9 Video Extension. Need to update file, but systems are on a closed network. How to download file update for offline installation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vp9-video-codec/8792ecb7-4b0c-4a4d-a375-d8366f2fb455
  5. codec for mp4 video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    codec for mp4 video: when i copy over a mp4 video from my pc to usb jump drive, i get this error message:Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.anyone knows how to solve this issue?...
  6. H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about

in Windows 10 News
    H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about: [ATTACH]The most popular video codec right now is the H.264 standard since almost all […] This article H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Microsoft introduces new line of next-gen Xbox Accessories

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft introduces new line of next-gen Xbox Accessories: [ATTACH] On November 10, we’re jumping into the next generation of gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. To ensure the most optimal next-gen gaming experience, we’ve created a new lineup of Xbox accessories, developed with you, the gamer, in...
  8. Qualcomm announces completion of Versatile Video Coding (VVC) standard

in Windows 10 News
    Qualcomm announces completion of Versatile Video Coding (VVC) standard: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, today announced the completion of the Versatile Video Coding (VVC) standard for video compression. Qualcomm’s leadership in contributing technologies, driving proof-of-concepts, and bringing the...
  9. ?Codec? to watch video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?Codec? to watch video: I cannot watch a video on my laptop windows 10 from the SD card from my camera . ?? I may need to add a "codec" WTH? is it free and can someone help me to put this on my computer please....
  10. Need help installing H.624 Codec

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help installing H.624 Codec: I saw a lot of video telling me to just install Quicktime to get the codec. I already tried it a bunch of times still nothing. So, I was like "I've tried it a couple times why not try other way." then I've been searching for almost an hour and then I came across my old...