Windows 10: New NVME SSD - Windows Boot Manager

Discus and support New NVME SSD - Windows Boot Manager in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all - I'm looking for a little bit of guidance. I have a custom PC (Windows 10 (1909), Gigabyte Z370 HD3 motherboard) and I have just upgraded from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fantata1, Nov 10, 2020.

1. fantata1 Win User

New NVME SSD - Windows Boot Manager

Hi all - I'm looking for a little bit of guidance.

I have a custom PC (Windows 10 (1909), Gigabyte Z370 HD3 motherboard) and I have just upgraded from a WD 1TB HDD to a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVME.

I used the Samsung Data Migration software to migrate from the HDD to the SSD - all went well. I then restarted the PC and re-ordered the Bios to boot from the SSD first, then HDD, then CDRW. However, when I did this and exited the BIOS, the PC then gave an error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". To troubleshoot, I disconnected the HDD and retried - hey presto the PC booted from the SSD no problem!

What I have noticed is that with the HDD connected, the BIOS lists the HDD as "Windows Boot Manager (WD etc.)" but the SSD just as the Samsung 970. i.e. the BIOS does not recognise it as a bootable device. However, with the HDD disconnected, the BIOS lists the SSD as "Windows Boot Manager (Samsung 970 etc)". What I would like is for both to appear as Windows Boot Manager and then set the order as SSD first.

I could just completely disconnect the HDD but I wanted to have it as a back-up just in case the SSD failed.

Can anyone shed some light on why I can't have both recognised as bootable devices?

Thanks,

Ian

:)

fantata1, Nov 10, 2020

2. NVME SSD

Tried this, and windows still didn't see the nvme ssd. It was a brand new nvme ssd right out of the box. Nothing works.

AdrianLucke72, Nov 10, 2020
  3. xkm1948 Win User
    Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to try what you suggested. I just tried using Linux Mint boot cd to hopefully erase the SSD. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of encryption on the SATA SSD that prevents Linux from managing the SSD. Funny thing is I never used bitlocker on the SATA SSD.

xkm1948, Nov 10, 2020
  4. slance310 Win User

Missing Boot record (Error code: 0xc000000e) after cloning OS from an NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble following what you have done so far, but might suggest a trick that might work..

Your one picture says Disk 0 is the new cloned drive, but is showing a 256gb, not 1tb... Not a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure what I mention is correct..

Will the machine boot from the 256gb SSD with the NVMe and new 1tb removed ?

My impression is that you are now working with the new 1tb SSD that was a clone of the NVMe, and the NVMe that had the new 1tb SSD cloned back to it..

This is my suggestion that has worked for me in the past, but not always.. The way windows lays out the partitions in UEFI machines can be tricky.. Sometimes just 1mb of free space before the first partition can break the deal..

If your machine boots properly from the temp 256gb SSD, try this.. It will require that you make an image of the 256gb SSD and use bootable Macrium to restore part of it to the NVMe.. I chose the NVMe for this because it is a copy of a copy.. The best original
    you have is now the new 1tb SSD..

Remove all other drives before attempting to boot with the NVMe after doing this..

After imaging the 256gb SSD, try recovering it's first Recovery partition to the NVMe and see what happens.. If that does not work, try Recovering both the Recovery and EFI.. If that fails, try all three of the partitions prior to the Windows partition..

If you still need to create the bootable media, don't even bother messing with the WinPE\Re version.. It is a real pain to create, and in my opinion, does not work as well as the Linux version.. The Linux version pretty much ignores any type of Windows fussiness,
    and just does the job you request..

BTW.. Another method might be to wipe the NVMe and reinstall Windows... Then once installed and functioning, image the cloned 1tb SSD, then restore the windows partition to the NVMe overwriting what has just been installed..

slance310, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

1. New NVME SSD - Windows Boot Manager - Similar Threads - NVME SSD Boot

2. Booting off of new NVME SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting off of new NVME SSD.: I got myself a new NVME SSD. I want to move my OS from my old SSD to it. When I cloned my SSD with windows files to the NVME, I discovered my hard drive with only games on it, is set as the 'Boot Manager' in my BIOS. If I disconnect my SSD and try to boot my pc, I get an...
  3. Booting off of new NVME SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting off of new NVME SSD.: I got myself a new NVME SSD. I want to move my OS from my old SSD to it. When I cloned my SSD with windows files to the NVME, I discovered my hard drive with only games on it, is set as the 'Boot Manager' in my BIOS. If I disconnect my SSD and try to boot my pc, I get an...
  4. Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...: So, I cloned my old nvme SSD to my new one. I only had one slot and the old drive was only about 120 gb with the new one being about 1tb. Everything cloned over fine, the OS, etc. It's just it keeps trying to locate the old drive C instead of the new one E. Disk 2 is the old...
  5. New NVMe SSD not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New NVMe SSD not recognized: I bought a new WD Blue SN550 1TB nvme ssd to add to my laptop as additional storage however it does not appear as an available storage space. I can see it in the BIOS. I checked my storage controllers and don't see Windows Standard NVMe drivers there, is that the issue maybe?...
  6. Is this normal? New NVME SSD?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this normal? New NVME SSD?!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jazzzy990 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iaukb3/is_this_normal_new_nvme_ssd/
  7. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  8. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows

upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  9. Issues with new SSD windows boot manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with new SSD windows boot manager: Hi, I recently upgraded my SSD to a larger size, when I first powered on my PC it worked fine, but when windows restarted I was put into windows boot manager, and it gave me the error that no HDD was found (error 2100). but when i powered off my PC and Powered it on again, I...
  10. Issue with a new SSD and Windows Boot manager

Issue with a new SSD and Windows Boot manager: Recently I did install a new SSD into my Aurora R7. I've unplugged my HDD, installed the SSD, used Windows on an USB and installed the Windows on the SSD. Then formatted the HDD. It works fine and my computer boots in seconds but if I go to BIOS and try to change the boot...