Windows 10: New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM)

Discus and support New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM) in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; 16 June was the date MS started migrating Outlook.com accounts to the sync protocol supported by all MS messaging products. POP3 and IMAP are still... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Slartybart, Jun 21, 2016.

1. New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM)

16 June was the date MS started migrating Outlook.com accounts to the sync protocol supported by all MS messaging products.

POP3 and IMAP are still supported.

Two of my three Outlook.com accounts have been migrated. The symptom on my machine was that I could not connect to the server - sometimes, this just requires trying to connect again or entering your password in the dialog.

Expecting some transition issues, I tried the above and then visited Outlook.com.
    POP was disabled

If you use POP3 in WLM, you'll need to configure POP3 support again in Outlook.com after your account has been updated.
    Settings > Options > POP and IMAP

New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM) [​IMG]

I don't have any WLM acounts that use IMAP. The only thing I see that has changed is the server address, but I don't think that is a required change right now though it might be in the future if MS consolidates all servers to one server.
    imap-mail.outlook.com
    Port: 993
    Encryption method: SSL
    The image shows my Outlook.com POP settings, you might not want to allow apps/devices to delete messages. That setting adds a layer of protection - a delete in a client moves the eMail to a special POP folder, you have to visit Outlook.com to actually delete the mail. It's sort of redundant if you configure the client to NOT delete mail on the server, but .....

Note that the server addresses have changed, the previous pop.live.com and smtp.live.com, ports and secure settings still work though.
    The one interesting change is on SMTP - the secure setting is TLS, not SSL.
    WLM doesn't seem to have a way to specify TLS, but SSL still works for now.

I also entered the new server addresses (pop-mail.outlook.com & smtp-mail.outlook.com) in my WLM account configuration, but reverted to the previous server addresses (pop3.live.com & smtp.live.com) when that did not initially solve the credentials issue.

The changes I made to WLM were unnecessary and were only to test what works with the new Outlook.com and what doesn't. There might be some lag between enabling POP in outlook.com and WLM being able to connect/authorize, just try again in a while (my 1st account took about 30 minutes, my 2nd account was almost immediate).

On my 2nd account, I simply logged into Outlook.com and enabled POP - I did not make any changes to WLM.

On a side note, it's worth reviewing all settings in the new Outlook.com. I found things that I changed

Manage add-ons: I uninstalled all that I was allowed to uninstall.

Offline settings: ???After you turn on offline access, you can use this computer when it's not connected to a network ???
    *sarc Great, I was wondering if I could use my computer when it's not connected to a network. *sarc

Under Calendar options, there's this oddity

I checked the box and it displayed my time zone. Good for travelers I guess.

Treat the new Outlook.com as a new eMail client - check all of your settings.
    Additional inofrmation: Set up an email app with Outlook.com - Outlook.com Help

:)

Slartybart, Jun 21, 2016

2. How do I remove Windows Live Mail without losing Movie Maker?

Since Windows Live Mail soon isn't going to work with Outlook.com, I've installed a different desktop mail client. Now I need to remove WLM. However, there isn't an option to uninstall just WLM--looks like you have to uninstall all of Windows Essentials.
    I would like to keep Movie Maker. Is there a way to do this?

Sherry Something, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Send page and send link by email are greyed out

Hi,

In order for send page and send link to work there must be a default email program installed.

The Windows 10 Mail App can't be set as the default nor can web-based email services like outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc.

Install Windows Live Mail, part of Windows Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

then set Windows Live Mail as the default Mail program.

How to Set Your Default Apps in Windows 10

You should be able to setup any email service to work with Windows Live Mail, outlook.com, for example

Set up an email app with outlook.com

Add your Outlook.com account to another mail app

If you have problems after installing WLM, that forum is at

Results in Windows Essentials - Microsoft Community?

Don

Don Varnau, Jun 21, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM)

I Use WLM12 and I switched my 2 Hotmail Accounts to IMAP earlier this week and it seems to be working fine, AFAIK the advantage is that IMAP lets you see as many folders as you have , not just the Standard POP Folders, and will sync them all. You have to setup a new Account in WLM for each one , so you can set it up to use IMAP , you can't switch the existing account , though they seemed happy to co-exist I then deletd the old account once the new one was fully synced .

Only downside .....I don't believe IMAP or POP will sync the WLM Calendar though...if you use it. Use Win10 Calendar instead.

I used these Settings found online.......
    If your email app doesn’t support Exchange ActiveSync, it might use IMAP. Unlike POP, which only syncs your inbox, IMAP syncs all your email folders.
    Use the following settings in your email app.

• Incoming (IMAP) Server
      • Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com
      • Port: 993
      • Encrypted Connection: SSL
    • Outgoing (SMTP) Server
      • Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
      • Port: 587
      • Authentication: Yes
      • Encrypted Connection: TLS (SSL setting works for now anyway)
    • User name: Your email address
    • Password: Your password

Kbird, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Jul 28, 2016
  6. Some references might help

• Using email in Outlook on the web and Outlook.com

• Apps that support POP and IMAP

You need to enter your full eMail address, not just the name
    Dadzyxwvu@outlook.com - not - Dadzyxwvu

WLM doesn't do TLS encryption - SSL encryption works.

Server requires authentication must be selected

Slartybart, Sep 14, 2016
  7. Clint Win User
    Thanks. I now have Hotmail working in WLM. I first used POP, but didn't get sub folders. Then I switched to IMAP and got them. One thing to note is you can't change an existing account, you have to make a new one.

Clint, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Clint Win User

Since I've got Hotmail to work with IMAP in WLm, is there anyway to have it just check the in box? Now it searches all my sub folders every tine I check mail It takes a long time.

Clint, Sep 21, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    It is the same for me , I have not tried it but on the IMAP Tab of the Account's Properties you can uncheck Check all folders for new messages , and with luck it will only check the "special folders" in the area below.

I have renamed my Special folders to match those on Outlook.com so I don't have duplicate folders eg a Sent and Sent Items Folder.

KB

Kbird, Sep 21, 2016
  10. Clint Win User
    Thanks KB. I unchecked all folders. I think that's gonna work. It wouldn't let me rename my folders.

Clint, Sep 22, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    Not quite sure what you mean but this is what I have now....

But if you move messages in WLM to other folders to archive them check that they get moved on Outlook.com too and not just in WLM on your computer.

KB

Kbird, Sep 22, 2016
  12. Clint Win User
    I was trying to rename in the navigation pane.

Clint, Sep 22, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

move any messages out of the duplicate folders into the renamed ones before deleting them.

And right click the account and "Download all folders" to update WLM properly.

KB

Kbird, Sep 22, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    @Kbird
    What version of WLM 2012 are you using. I have a hotmail account (xxx@hotmail.com) and I don't see the Advanced tab where I can set IMAP.

My version: Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)

topgundcp, Sep 22, 2016
  15. essenbe Win User
    @topgundcp, when you set it up, use a made up name @gmail, that will give you the options you need. Put the Outlook settings in it. When you are finished, go back and put the right hotmail address in. That's what I had to do. When you start off with a hotmail address, you don't get the needed options. And, I have no clue why it works that way, but it does. I have the same version you have.

essenbe, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM) - Similar Threads - Outlook com Essentials

2. Outlook and Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook and Windows Live Mail: Although WLM is long past its sell by date, I still use it and have for many years. Very good email client.Trying to add my Outlook Mail account to WLM and have followed this link for server and setup information -...
  3. Outlook and Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook and Windows Live Mail: Although WLM is long past its sell by date, I still use it and have for many years. Very good email client.Trying to add my Outlook Mail account to WLM and have followed this link for server and setup information -...
  4. Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM: Hi, I'm using Windows Live Mail WLM, which I really like, in Windows 7 as my main e-mail handling program and have Yahoo mail as my background mail account. For some reason my Yahoo mail is no longer automatically transferred to my WLM whereas a few weeks ago it was fine. 1...
  5. Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM

Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM: Hi, I'm using Windows Live Mail WLM, which I really like, in Windows 7 as my main e-mail handling program and have Yahoo mail as my background mail account. For some reason my Yahoo mail is no longer automatically transferred to my WLM whereas a few weeks ago it was fine. 1...
  6. LIVE ESSENTIALS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    LIVE ESSENTIALS: LOST WINDOWS LIVE ESSENTIALS 2012 AFTER RECENT UPDATE,CANNOT RE-INSTALL https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/live-essentials/c5b4d6c2-6589-4d9a-af74-19e551aa1714
  7. Windows 10 Mail app and Outlook .com

Windows 10 Mail app and Outlook .com: I'm having a problem with Mail and Outlook. When I go to view my e-mail messages using the Mail app viewer all of the body content of the message is in some sort of plain text or computer language. There are no pictures of graphics in the message just this plain text...
  8. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

in Browsers and Email
    Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM: Have been using this program for months now on windows 10 32 bit, and I get an email saying that MS are making changes to Outlook servers and to patch WLM 2012 and a download link. I applied the patch and now after a few seconds of being open WLM 2012 crashes while...
  9. Windows Live Mail (WLM) Bizarre Behavior

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail (WLM) Bizarre Behavior: I have been using Windows 10 for almost a year with Windows Live Mail as my email client without issue until about 3 weeks ago. Now, there is an intermittent problem: I have 3 accounts linked to my WLM and when doing a send/receive randomly the program will do crazy...
  10. Windows Live Essentials

Windows Live Essentials: Does anyone know if Microsoft is going to replace Windows Live Essentials as I heard on a cnet message forum administrator that Microsoft will no longer offer that suite or programs? I used to use Windows Live Writer to blog but I needed more features, especially with...