Windows 10: New PC, 500gb SSD and 4tb HDD, need to install GPT partitions? and how

Discus and support New PC, 500gb SSD and 4tb HDD, need to install GPT partitions? and how in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I've bought all my parts and stuff, I'm overall pretty familiar with PCs But I've heard you need to use GPT to use the full 4TB of my harddrive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by luukebaas, Jun 20, 2019.

1. luukebaas Win User

New PC, 500gb SSD and 4tb HDD, need to install GPT partitions? and how

So I've bought all my parts and stuff, I'm overall pretty familiar with PCs
    But I've heard you need to use GPT to use the full 4TB of my harddrive.

I'm installing windows on the SSD of course, so I was wondering how do I set up this GPT stuff, and do I need to set it up on both the SSD and the HDD? Or just the HDD?

I've found out how to convert a drive to GPT using the manager, and I think I can do it with windows setup commands too, but I'm not that familiar with it.

It'd be the best if I could just convert my HDD to GPT after I've installed windows 10 on my SSD regularly

Thanks for the help New PC, 500gb SSD and 4tb HDD, need to install GPT partitions? and how :p

:)

luukebaas, Jun 20, 2019

2. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Jun 20, 2019
  3. awbflyboy Win User
    Move System Reserved Partition to Allow GPT Formatting

I built my own computer with a 500GB SSD and 4TB HDD. Unfortunately I made the mistake of having both drives connected when installing Windows 10 for the first time, and now there's a System Reserved partition on my HDD. The problem with that is that it's
    only recognizing 2TB of the 4TB drive. I can assign a drive letter to only half the space, the other half is not accessible. In order to fix
    that, I need to format the drive as GPT, but that option is greyed out since there's a System Reserved Partition on the drive.

How do I move the System Reserved Partition to the SSD in order to format my HDD as GPT and access all 4TB? I don't need to keep any files on either drive, so I'm happy to completely wipe the computer if necessary (possible?).

Thanks.

awbflyboy, Jun 20, 2019
  4. MouseGolf Win User

GPT does not mean a faster operating system.

Question: Will GPT make my Windows OS run faster? No, period.

The important choice is to dump the HDD as the primary drive and move to a SATA SSD* or M.2 SSD.

One needs to migrate their OS/Programs/Content from an HDD to an SSD; then you have a super-fast computer. If migrating is not something you want to delve into then perform a new Windows 7, 8 or 10 installation onto a new SSD. Note: If it's a new installation you can copy all your personal files from the HDD to the SSD after your new installation.

What size SSD? Most gamers like to use a 500GB SSD as their primary drive and use the 1TB to 4TB HDD as their second Internal Storage Drive. If you plan on having many partitions on the HDD then use GPT if you need more than 4 partitions. If not, keep it simply and stay with MBR.

*SATA SSD is far more diversified and portable. One can use a USB3.0 Adapter Cable with any SATA SSD.

MouseGolf, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

1. New PC, 500gb SSD and 4tb HDD, need to install GPT partitions? and how - Similar Threads - 500gb SSD 4tb

2. GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD: Hi, I have bought a new M.2 NVME intel 670p and have tried to format it but failed.The SSD has been installed in 2 for the 3 ports on the motherboard, tried using diskpart to clean it and set it to mbr and using aomei and partition wizard to format it but nothing worked.The...
  3. GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD: Hi, I have bought a new M.2 NVME intel 670p and have tried to format it but failed.The SSD has been installed in 2 for the 3 ports on the motherboard, tried using diskpart to clean it and set it to mbr and using aomei and partition wizard to format it but nothing worked.The...
  4. need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install: Hello to everyone: I have a question dealing with gpt / uefi and windows install, So I have a new ssd drive, and I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using UEFI, so I can install windows 11, which at this point seems to be more trouble than it is worth, I am using...
  5. Clean installing Windows 10 on a PC SSD with GPT partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installing Windows 10 on a PC SSD with GPT partition: Hi! I'm planning to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my malfunctioning PC it already came with Windows 10 and is now more than a year old. I've backed up all my personal files and researched about the process, but I remain confused. I have a few questions that I hope...
  6. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD: Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help. I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD. What I have: Partitions in order 1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (C:) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB 4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted...
  7. How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?: I own a 120GB SSD I'd like to install in my desktop PC. Currently I have a 500 GB HDD, almost full, just a single partition. I need some way to clone it with the option of selecting just what I want to clone (in my case just Windows and my programs). Then I'd like to use my...
  8. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  9. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  10. I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?: I plugged my new, empty Western Digital 4TB external drive into my old PC, and it is a MBR HDD. The PC is too old to have UEFI. I want the drive to be as reliable as possible and to work on my new (UEFI) PC as well. Should I convert it to GPT now? Both PCs are on Windows...