Windows 10: New PC - Apps and Files open slowly

Discus and support New PC - Apps and Files open slowly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I built my new PC just 2 weeks ago (Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 2060, Samsung SSD 980 PRO, Asus B550E Gaming, Crucial Ballistix 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz). While there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/joand001, Apr 7, 2021.

1. New PC - Apps and Files open slowly

I built my new PC just 2 weeks ago (Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 2060, Samsung SSD 980 PRO, Asus B550E Gaming, Crucial Ballistix 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz). While there are no dramatic speed issues, I noticed that when opening browsers like Chrome and Firefox or when opening folders and regular files, there is a very tiny lag (1-2 seconds for browsers or discord lets say and less then a second for folders and other offline programs), which is a bit annoying as there is a lack of smoothness when working or gaming. When it comes to programs that use the internet, I can see why they take some time due to my not so good internet connection, but what about all the other files and programs? Is there something that I can do or is this completely fine? Just to mention, I did all the regular tweeks for optimizing Windows 10 and I ran some benchmarking for my SSD with Samsung Magician and Crystaldiskinfo, and I saw that the random read/write speeds are 4 times slower (250k IOPS) than what is advertised by Samsung. Could this be an issue?

p.s. I am not really familiar with these topics so any additional info/knowledge is most welcome.

submitted by /u/joand001
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/joand001, Apr 7, 2021

2. "open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. New PC - Apps and Files open slowly :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Callender Win User

New PC - Apps and Files open slowly

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

New PC - Apps and Files open slowly [​IMG]

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

New PC - Apps and Files open slowly

1. New PC - Apps and Files open slowly - Similar Threads - Apps Files open

2. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  3. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  4. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC slowly freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC slowly freezing: Hey everyone,This problem has happend to me before, but it hasnt happend in a while.To explain what happend; The applications I had opened slowly started to freeze, Couldnt click on things, but can move to another tab, then cant move to another tab till the application is...
  6. PC slowly freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC slowly freezing: Hey everyone,This problem has happend to me before, but it hasnt happend in a while.To explain what happend; The applications I had opened slowly started to freeze, Couldnt click on things, but can move to another tab, then cant move to another tab till the application is...
  7. PC slowly freezing

8. File explorer opens slowly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer opens slowly.: Recently I've noticed that file explorer has been taking a few moments to open when I open it from an app like chrome opening the downloads folder, or Aseprite to save files. When I open file explorer itself from the icon it opens instantly, but opening from an app it takes...
  9. File explorer opens slowly.

File explorer opens slowly.: Recently I've noticed that file explorer has been taking a few moments to open when I open it from an app like chrome opening the downloads folder, or Aseprite to save files. When I open file explorer itself from the icon it opens instantly, but opening from an app it takes...
  10. Excel files open very slowly

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel files open very slowly: Hi, I have installed windows 10 pro a couple of days ago and I now experience a strange behavior from excel (office 2013). I suspect this worked when booting new OS for the first time. When I open any excel file from any location on any hard drive (ssd or hdd) it takes...