Windows 10: New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks,...

Discus and support New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks,... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This a fairly new PC build ~2 months and I'm kind of at my wits end trying to find the root cause and get this resolved hopefully. I'm fairly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RedBenly64, Dec 28, 2020.

1. New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks,...

This a fairly new PC build ~2 months and I'm kind of at my wits end trying to find the root cause and get this resolved hopefully. I'm fairly technical, but running at a bit of a loss with this gremlin... When the PC locks-up, I can still move the mouse, type on the keyboard on whichever window happens to be the last one open, as well as chat with people on discord, however I can't bring up any other apps or programs, switch windows, or do a soft reboot by clicking reboot from the start menu I can open the start menu, but not select anything from it.

Specs are as follows:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Wifi

RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 DDR4 32GB - 2x 16GB Sticks

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB OS & Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB M.2 Data

As the title suggests the lockups happen seemingly at random. Over all, I've probably had 10-20 since I've built the PC, with varying amounts of TS'ing so far to no avail. When the system locks up I can still open Task Manager by right-clicking on the taskbar, but no high processes or spikes can be seen. When viewing the logs in event viewer this is the only odd log that I can see:

The previous system shutdown at 7:48:29 AM on ‎12/‎28/‎2020 was unexpected.

Level: Error Date & Time: 12/28/2020 8:29:44 AM Source: EventLog Event ID: 6008 Task Catagory: None I do find it odd that the times don't match, as the freeze happened 8:29:44 AM.

After the first few lockups, I installed Whocrashed, but this tool isn't reporting or noticing anything, after the PC reboots. Since then, I've uninstalled all of the unnecessary NVIDIA programs, limited the CPU to maxing at 95% power, completed a memtest on the RAM, that came back OK, and ran a chkdsk /f /r which came back ok as well.

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

:)

RedBenly64, Dec 28, 2020

2. New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging

So, My new Dell XPS PC has begun to randomly hang or freeze(3-4secs) and I assume it will only get worse. The pointer will lock in place for like 3 or 4 seconds. It's 4 days old and I think a contributing factor may be that I uninstalled a bunch of stuff that came pre-loaded with the PC or it could just be a bad install. I did a windows image back up, but that was after I had removed the files and set it up to my liking. I did change a setting in nvidia's control panel, that enabled full output dynamic range, too. Any suggestion would be very welcome. Thanks.

EDIT: The problem appears to be generated by a DELL program: Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service

I uninstalled the program and the issue has been resolved. I place this here for search purposes should anyone search for a solution for similar problems.

amancandance, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Megahertz Win User
    New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging

Randomly hang or freeze is due to a running task in the background.
    As the computer is new, it was probably doing a huge update.

Megahertz, Dec 28, 2020
  4. erpster4 Win User

New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks,...

New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging

amancandance, what is the model number of your XPS computer since there are so many different XPS versions? [ex. XPS 9560]

plus is your XPS a laptop or desktop computer since Dell XPS series exist for both desktop & laptop PCs

erpster4, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks,...

1. New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks,... - Similar Threads - build randomly hanging

2. BSOD Happening randomly, sometimes after a bit after start up, sometimes even after a hour,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Happening randomly, sometimes after a bit after start up, sometimes even after a hour,...: I'm getting bsods and can't find the solution, here some more infos:For the past couple of months im having random BSOD like IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL or HYPERVISOR ERROR or also random restarts for reasons i cant explain. Alredy checked for malwares with Malwarebytes,...
  3. PC randomly crashes/hangs, sometimes BSOD, sometimes hangs, sometimes reboots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC randomly crashes/hangs, sometimes BSOD, sometimes hangs, sometimes reboots: A few months ago my pc would crash 2-4minutes after booting it up for the first time in the morning, screen would freeze and wouldnt accept any input I solved this by just rebooting pc and it run as normal for the rest of the day. After a few weeks it would crash twice in the...
  4. PC Freeze/ Hang up

PC Freeze/ Hang up: I've been trying to figure this one out for going on a few years now and I feel like i'm close to a possible cause. What has started all of this was my PC kept getting stuck at the 30% Windows update mark. Still haven't been able to update yet. I am forced to hard boot when...
  5. New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging: So, My new Dell XPS PC has begun to randomly hang or freeze(3-4secs) and I assume it will only get worse. The pointer will lock in place for like 3 or 4 seconds. It's 4 days old and I think a contributing factor may be that I uninstalled a bunch of stuff that came pre-loaded...
  6. Random Freezing/Lock-up

Random Freezing/Lock-up: Hello. First time post, but I've run out of options that aren't wiping my computer and fresh installing. A few days ago, I finally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I'm mostly glad I did, but since then, I've been experiencing random freezes in which both screen and...
  7. New pc build w10 freezeing after booting up

in Windows 10 Support
    New pc build w10 freezeing after booting up: My new pc build , windows 10 home freezes after booting up, its giving 3 sec of freeze , and it unfreezes after 1 sec , and that happens over and over . And it happens pretty much 1 of 6 times of booting . Installed from usb. Using only ssd samsung evo 250 gb 114745
  8. PC Randomly locks up and freezes

PC Randomly locks up and freezes: Hey guys, first off I hope you all had a great Xmas and New Year... So since the update for windows that's recently dropped, I keep having random crashes, well more of a freeze, I can still see everything on the screen but nothing will respond I have to power my system...
  9. Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of): I have read a thread or five via a Google search about random freezing with Windows 10, but none of their symptoms match mine, so I thought I'd post a new thread. I'm getting random system freezes or hangs which prevent me from opening apps or programs and clicking on the...
  10. Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279: After a clean install of Build 14279, then reinstalling several programs, I'm getting occasional and random freeze-ups. Blutos Cousin posted the following: I've been having random freezing in 14279 rs1 where the mouse pointer disappears and turns into something that...