Windows 10: NEW PC: can a bought Win 7 licence be used to upgrade to 10 or...

Discus and support NEW PC: can a bought Win 7 licence be used to upgrade to 10 or... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am building a new PC for personal home use. I've been told I could use my laptop license for it. And elsewhere I read I can't do that. I've also read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pintree3, Apr 14, 2020.

1. pintree3 Win User

NEW PC: can a bought Win 7 licence be used to upgrade to 10 or...

I am building a new PC for personal home use. I've been told I could use my laptop license for it. And elsewhere I read I can't do that. I've also read I could buy a windows 10 license key on Amazon and then use that for installation and then upgrade. But here too I found that there may be problems doing so as well. Hence, my seeking advice here.
    Anyhow, I don't know who to believe or what to do. Any advice, the more the merrier, would be appreciated.

(BTW even if the retail price of Windows 10 were half its price I would have found it too expensive so imagine what I think of its current actual price. And now I am wondering if Linux is my actual only option)
    The laptop was originally with a win 8.1 version which was updated free to W10 when it first came out)

Windows 10 home ver 1903 (build 18362.720)

Fun note: Back in the days when PCs were 1st introduced to the general public I was shocked to hear that the computer that I was buying would not work without an OS. I'm thinking how can you buy something if it doesn't work on its own; and why do I have to buy something else to make it work? My reasoning was, "It's like buying a radio but you can't hear any radio stations unless you buy something that makes it translate the received signals into audible audio." The PC was after all the first type of electric device where it did not function on its own. And I was surprised that nobody questioned it and just accepted it as a norm.

:)

pintree3, Apr 14, 2020

2. Transfer Win 10 Pro Licence to a new Win 10 Home PC

I bought a Laptop with Win 7 in July 2012.

In January, 2013, I bought a Win 8 Pro licence through the promotion that was running at the time.

I have since update the original Win 7 PC, to Win 8 Pro, to Win 10 Pro and it now is running Win 10 update 1903.

I bought a new laptop with Win 10 Home this week. I will be retiring the original Laptop purchased in 2012.

Can I transfer my Win 10 Pro licence on the retired laptop to the new Laptop ?

I am getting mixed answers from the Sales people.

ChristopherTomka, Apr 14, 2020
  3. lse123 Win User
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool said all OK and continued OK with upgrade... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all OK for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?
    and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

lse123, Apr 14, 2020
  4. NEW PC: can a bought Win 7 licence be used to upgrade to 10 or...

is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but
    the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool says all ok and continued ok... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all ok for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?

and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)

is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

Lse123polis, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

NEW PC: can a bought Win 7 licence be used to upgrade to 10 or...

1. NEW PC: can a bought Win 7 licence be used to upgrade to 10 or... - Similar Threads - bought licence used

2. win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key: i am running win 7 and want to upgrade to win 10 and buy a new license key. But there wasnt a link for a win 10 .iso file, so i bought win 11 with a license key. But turns out my computer cant run Win 11. Can i use the key i just bought on a win 10 .iso if there is a place to...
  3. win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key: i am running win 7 and want to upgrade to win 10 and buy a new license key. But there wasnt a link for a win 10 .iso file, so i bought win 11 with a license key. But turns out my computer cant run Win 11. Can i use the key i just bought on a win 10 .iso if there is a place to...
  4. win 7 to win 10 upgrade with new license key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer?

Using Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 licence on a new computer?: Hi, I have an old computer in which it was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7. It was using a digital licence, but I retrieved the full serial key by using "Nirsoft ProduKey". I used the command "slmgr /dlv" to find if my licence was RETAIL, and it is, here is the pic...
  6. upgrade win 7 pc to win 10

upgrade win 7 pc to win 10: hey.this is my desctop pc for my work place.i want to upgrade win 7 to win 10.i use import software about my work place.if i upgrade with windows update assistant my software maybe removed/?//?...
  7. Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant

Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant: Split from this thread. I am having a similar but not exact issue.... Today I upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant direct from within WIndows. After the download, verification, and install process I was greeted with the initial Win 10 logo along with...
  8. Win 10 Activation with Win 7 licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation with Win 7 licence: Hello, i am planning to do a clean installation of Windows 10 and activate it with the key from the COA sticker on the same pc which is currently running OEM Windows 7 Home Premium. As i understand it, the iso/esd created by the media creation tool contains both Win 10...
  9. Win 10 upgrade from Retail Win 7 New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 upgrade from Retail Win 7 New PC: Hi I currently have Win 10 from the free upgrade from a retail version of Win 7. I have a new (used) PC that already has Win 7 installed by the previous owner. I'd like to install Win 10 on this machine. Do I have to install my retail Win 7 as a clean install (as...
  10. Can I use Win 7 Ultimate Key to upgrade new Win 8.1 PC to Win 10 Pro

Can I use Win 7 Ultimate Key to upgrade new Win 8.1 PC to Win 10 Pro: I'm new to the forum, and looking for some guidance. I've read a lot of the categories re updating to Windows 10 and am still somewhat confused at how I should proceed given my setup. I have a new Dell 3000 (Inspiron 3847) which was shipped with Windows 8.1 (x64...