Windows 10: New PC freezing during boot.

Discus and support New PC freezing during boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I’ve had Windows 10 for years and it never gave me any problems. But now I just bought a new motherboard and CPU and every time I boot it, it freezes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FelixHallock, Dec 5, 2019.

1. New PC freezing during boot.

I’ve had Windows 10 for years and it never gave me any problems. But now I just bought a new motherboard and CPU and every time I boot it, it freezes on the Windows 10 loading screen after the spinning dots do about one rotation. I tried taking every nonessential component out of the PC and it still freezes. I’ve tried booting from my M.2 SSD, my hard drive (after resetting Windows 10), and a USB drive (after downloading a brand new version of Windows 10) with no success. And it’s not the fault of any of the storage devices as they all still work with my old motherboard and processor. So what else can I do?

New PC (stripped of components):

CPU: Intel Core-i9 9900k

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z370e Gaming

RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4

PSU: EVGA 750w

Old PC:

CPU: Intel Core-i5 7400

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B250h

RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4

PSU: EVGA 500w

Startup drives:

M.2 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB

Hard drive: Hitachi 7.2k RPM 2TB

USB drive: SanDisk 128GB

:)

FelixHallock, Dec 5, 2019

2. PC freezing while creating new files or folders

Hello John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    3. Which version of Windows 10 you are using currently?
    4. What is the make and model of the PC?

Refer the article on
    Which Windows operating system am I running?

However, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Restart the file explorer and check if the PC freezes again.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift
      + Esc key together.
    2. Now look for Windows Explorer process.
    3. Right click on it and click on
      End process.
    4. Now click on File
      and click on Run New task on the task manager window.
    5. Type explorer.exe and click on
      OK.

Method 2:

Boot the PC in safe mode and check if the PC freezes while creating a file or folder. Refer the article to

start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If the PC is not freezing in safe mode then perform a clean boot from safe mode.
    Refer the article on How to perform a clean boor in Windows. If
    the PC is not freezing then please refer the section How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot.

Note:
    Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Also, you may not be able to use some programs in clean boot.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 5, 2019
  3. PC wont boot up (No POST, No Video)

I recently installed a new Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. The motherboard green LED lights up and the case and cpu fans spin. But there is no video when its hooked up to my monitor.

Steps that i have tried:
    Perform these steps before posting about POST/boot/no video problems!

Made sure all connections are properly connected.

Flashing the CMOS

Tested the PSU

Followed all steps in the user manual

If there are any links that you guys can point me to or suggestions that could help it would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Mrblack761, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

New PC freezing during boot.

Solitaire collection is freezing my PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• What is the version of Windows 10 installed on the machine?
    • Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Do you see any error code/message upon PC freeze?
    • Is the issue specific to Microsoft Solitaire Collection or does it occur while using any other application?

I suggest you to place the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. Refer
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    for the same.

Note:

A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however that functionality will return when you
    reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

Reset the computer to start normally after troubleshooting.
    Refer
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    for the same.

If the issue persists, assuming, it’s the game that is crashing, I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps listed in

Game freezes or stops responding on a Windows 10 device
    and check if they’re helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

New PC freezing during boot.

1. New PC freezing during boot. - Similar Threads - freezing during boot

2. Computer freezes during initial boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes during initial boot: Hello,I have purchased some new computers for a company that I work for. They have been starting to give problems where it takes about 5-10 minutes to boot up and get to the log-in screen. I have attached a link to the memory dump files if anybody can take a look. Thank you!...
  3. Computer freezes during initial boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes during initial boot: Hello,I have purchased some new computers for a company that I work for. They have been starting to give problems where it takes about 5-10 minutes to boot up and get to the log-in screen. I have attached a link to the memory dump files if anybody can take a look. Thank you!...
  4. Computer freezes during boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer freezes during boot: My computer freezes during boot from any boot device. I have created new media on USB and changed the boot settings to legacy. I opened laptop and tried to make sure all connections are property seated. All hardware diagnostics show clean. Any ideas?...
  5. Computer freezes during boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes during boot: My computer freezes during boot from any boot device. I have created new media on USB and changed the boot settings to legacy. I opened laptop and tried to make sure all connections are property seated. All hardware diagnostics show clean. Any ideas?...
  6. Computer freezes during boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC freezes during updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC freezes during updates.: I have read all the emails sent about this and the main point I want to make is this - the screen goes blank when the upgrade starts and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do - I cannot power the PC off as the on/off switch does NOTHING and I cannot use ctrl alt delete to...
  8. Freezing during boot sequence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing during boot sequence: Hi! I have been getting crashes and unable to boot normally because during boot it shows artifacts and/or freezes. Sometimes I would get into the log-in screen but it artifacts and then crashes again. The analyzed the most recent dump file and it showed me four files that...
  9. PC Freezes during Gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Freezes during Gaming: Good morning everybody *Smile During this week I encountered a serious problem with my Laptop. While playing games it freezes and the sound starts to stutter. The only way out is to shut down the PC with the power button. This happens randomly, therfore I can play 20...
  10. PC freezes at "Restarting" (on a blue screen) during re-boot

in Windows 10 Support
    PC freezes at "Restarting" (on a blue screen) during re-boot: Hello My Window 10 is getting stuck rebooting. It gets to the blue screen that says "Restarting" and then freezes. Clue: Windows has just tried to install a "Cumulative update" and claimed to have completed it successfully. - Any thoughts? J EDIT: I have attached...