Windows 10: New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation"

Discus and support New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have built a brand new PC and everything is set up correctly, got to installing Windows 10 using the USB drive that the package came with. I get as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Toasty_Death, Jan 15, 2020.

1. New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation"

I have built a brand new PC and everything is set up correctly, got to installing Windows 10 using the USB drive that the package came with. I get as far as the "Getting files ready for installation %" and I have gotten as far as 87% before it freezes. The installation freezes at different parts of the installer, sometimes at 1% and other times as far as 30%.

I let the installer sit while frozen, and it will eventually change to the blue screen of death with the iconic ":" face.

Things I've tried so far:

I am installing on a SSD, I have tried two seperate SSD's.

I have updated my bios settings to have my SSD as priority.

I have disabled VT-d "virtualization".

I have tried using the original USB that came with Windows package, and 2 other USB flash drives.

I have tried using an external CD player.

I have used an external hard drive.

I've tried researching online and found that there are a lot of people with this issue but no one seems to have a clear answer on what causes this or how they came to fix their issue.

I'm really not sure on what else I should try at this point, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue since I can sit in bios menu with no issue and the installation process more or less halts at the same point every time.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated, my PC specs are below.

MPG 2390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Motherboard

RTX 2080 GPU

Thermaltake 1050W PSU

Intel core I9 with Cooler Master ML240R

:)

Toasty_Death, Jan 15, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jan 15, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Jan 15, 2020
  4. JeffCrisp Win User

New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation"

Windows 10 clean install - new PC stuck at getting files ready to install

Windows 10 clean install - new PC stuck at getting files ready to install. 56% and not moving.

JeffCrisp, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation"

1. New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation" - Similar Threads - installation freezes getting

2. Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation": I build my new pc last week, and had no problems installing windows, running games etc. After a few days it was starting to freeze after ~20 mins of use, which then got closer and closer to startup to the point it was freezing during the unlock screen. After extensive...
  3. Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation": I build my new pc last week, and had no problems installing windows, running games etc. After a few days it was starting to freeze after ~20 mins of use, which then got closer and closer to startup to the point it was freezing during the unlock screen. After extensive...
  4. Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Getting Files Ready for Installation STUCK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting Files Ready for Installation STUCK: I just built a new computer and am trying to install Windows 10 on my M.2 SSD through the Installation Tool USB provided by Microsoft. However its been stuck on"Getting files ready for Installation 86%"For a few hours now. I have attempted to restart my computer during this...
  6. Windows 10 new installation stuck at "Getting Ready"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 new installation stuck at "Getting Ready": Hey guys, I was installing windows on my machine and the setup went on smoothly, but after a restart I'm stuck for 1/2 hours at this "Getting Ready" screen. If I reboot then windows tells me (well of course) "error or random reboot. To install windows press ok to reboot and...
  7. Windows 10 “getting devices ready” freezes on startup from new windows installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 “getting devices ready” freezes on startup from new windows installation.: Ive been trying to get my new pc set up for almost a week, and just one night ago i was able to actually get in. I was happy. Tonight i was downloading software i wanted to use on my pc, and it eventually froze. On startup i wasnt able to get back into my pc like before, so i...
  8. Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation"

Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation": I am giving my old PC to my nephew and niece so we can play some Minecraft together :) I recently upgraded and the old PC only needed a new HD and Monitor/keyboard/mouse. I bought as much and now the installation completely freezes/hangs right around the step where it says...
  9. Getting files ready for installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting files ready for installation: So recently my previous windows 10 file was corrupted so I needed a new iso file... in the progress of installing I've been stuck with Getting files ready for installation part for 2 hours.. is there any fix?...
  10. Windows 10 usb clean install freezing at "getting files ready..."

Windows 10 usb clean install freezing at "getting files ready...": I've been trying to get windows installed again on my laptop after I formatted the disk to start over. I created a usb installer using their special utility and ran it. I have also attempted to create the image using winUSB on my ubuntu partition with the exact same results....