Windows 10: New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

Discus and support New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options) Select 64 bit Initial install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wookieschnitzel, Apr 6, 2017.

1. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second
    Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options)
    Select 64 bit
    Initial install screen shows then computer reboots.
    No video card or optical drive hooked up
    Ethernet plugged in

Any and all suggestions welcome
    Thanks!

:)

Wookieschnitzel, Apr 6, 2017

2. Reinstalling Windows 10 on new computer with previous Retail Version of Windows 8.1 without installing Windows 8.1 and upgrading from 8.1?

Hello all!

So this is the current situation. I built a PC a few years ago and with it bought Windows 8.1 Retail Version.

Then I upgraded to Windows 10 when the upgrade was available. I am assuming that this Windows 10 which came from the upgrade from 8.1 is also "Retail" even though I have no product key or CD to go with it.

My question now is, if in the future I am going to build another brand new PC with all new components is it possible I can install the Windows 10 OS directly on the new PC but using the Windows 8.1 Retail Version product key to activate the Windows 10 OS?

As for getting or creating the media for a clean install of Windows 10 OS, is this link here which I provided (Download Windows 10) the right place? Can I use that to create a bootable media such as boot from USB and
    then use that on the newly built PC to install the Windows 10 OS directly instead of first installing windows 8.1 and then upgrading? Also can I use the Windows 8.1 Retail Key to directly activate Windows 10 from the ISO file --> USB Stick in the future after
    the free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 expires?

Thank you all in advance for clearing this up for me and happy holidays to you all!

User12345679, Apr 6, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 6, 2017
  4. sn00ker Win User

New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

When you install windows Initially and it goes to reboot change the boot order to the hard drive first and afterwards it should finish the installation

sn00ker, Apr 7, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Or just pull out the USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2017
  6. So no part of the OS has been installed yet. On the very first screen after selecting 64 bit after 3 seconds it reboots. When I change the boot order to the SSD it gives me the windows failed to start screen asking for safe mode or start normally
    When trying the usb 3.0 I have the storage boot option control and other PCI devices set to UEFI. When trying the 2.0 I set them to legacy.
    So far anytime I change the boot order back to the SSD or just remove the usb I get the windows did not start screen

Wookieschnitzel, Apr 7, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Assuming you have purchased a Windows 10 retail package with a Microsoft Windows 10 installation USB flash drive? This is what I would do:

Buy a blank USB flash drive, just plain ole' USB 2.0 flash drive. Format it as FAT32. Download Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

Mount the ISO file, copy the files and folders to the FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. Leave the computer's firmware set for UEFI booting, plug the USB flash drive you created into a USB 2.0 (black) port and boot in Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Once you have Kyhi's recovery tools running, you can remove that flash and insert the Windows 10 installation flash drive. From file explorer, run setup.exe from the Windows 10 flash drive and see if the install is successful then.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

When you install from a usb stick, use the boot menu to choose the usb stick the 1st time, that`s it. Do not make any boot order changes in the Bios, do not remove the usb stick until you`re at the desktop, just as if you were using a dvd.

AddRAM, Apr 7, 2017
  9. asusG Win User
    Just follow NavyLCDR's detailed instuctions in post #5 and should be good *Smile

asusG, Apr 7, 2017
  10. When I boot into the iso mounted usb I see a black screen - press any key to boot from usb. I then see a screen showing a blue windows logo black background and it just hangs there
    I only downloaded the x64 version. Not sure about the z86 or modify winpase

Wookieschnitzel, Apr 7, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think it might be time to start looking at a hardware issue.

You can try putting the hard drive in another computer. Doing a clean install of Windows 10 to it (do not enter a product key). Move it to the new computer and see if the computer will boot from it. Then enter the product key to activate it on the new computer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2017
  12. Re download the ISO and do up another bootable thumb drive, just in case the current one is corrupted. Might even want to try a different thumb drive. What procedure did you use to create your bootable media?

alphanumeric, Apr 7, 2017
  13. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

I used Rufus. The first download of the iso was indeed corrupted. The second looks good I think. On the usb there is a boot folder, EFI, en-us and sources. Plus auto run and boot manager files

Wookieschnitzel, Apr 8, 2017
  14. I think I may have created the problem myself though. Before I bought the Windows 10 stick I tried my Windows 7 disc. It would not install at all. Something to do with 7 missing files for Skylake and needing a lot of monkeying around to make it work. I abandoned the idea. I am wondering now if during the failed attempt at Windows 7 it made a partition on the drive
    Should I try to wipe the ssd from a different computer?

Wookieschnitzel, Apr 8, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    That was probably your first mistake. What format is the USB flash drive, NTFS or FAT32? The partition on the flash drive should be FAT32 and it should be marked as active. If it isn't, you have become yet another victim of the overly complicated settings of RUFUS that many people get wrong, which is why I do not recommend anyone use it to make a bootable Windows USB flash drive.

You can wipe the SSD during the Windows 10 install process, but you must have a properly bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive first with a solid copy of Windows 10 on it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
Thema:

1. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop - Similar Threads - installed Retail usb

2. Windows 11 BOOT LOOP ON NEW PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 BOOT LOOP ON NEW PC: Hi, i just built my brand new pc with Windows 11 Ready Motherboard. I am currently stuck on a Loop. Windows downloads on SSD, download is complete, it does its normal thing where it restarts, but then going back to the windows setup with the languages and keyboard input...
  3. Windows 11 BOOT LOOP ON NEW PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 BOOT LOOP ON NEW PC: Hi, i just built my brand new pc with Windows 11 Ready Motherboard. I am currently stuck on a Loop. Windows downloads on SSD, download is complete, it does its normal thing where it restarts, but then going back to the windows setup with the languages and keyboard input...
  4. New pc windows install boot loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New pc windows install boot loop: Hello I’ve recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard and am having an issue where I can’t boot up windows. Initially I tried my old boot drive and continue on from there but my pc just tried to repair it and then it reboots itself into a loop. I figured I may have had a bad...
  5. New pc windows install boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New pc windows install boot loop: Hello I’ve recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard and am having an issue where I can’t boot up windows. Initially I tried my old boot drive and continue on from there but my pc just tried to repair it and then it reboots itself into a loop. I figured I may have had a bad...
  6. New pc windows install boot loop

7. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  8. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  9. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

10. Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build: I just put together a new build and I'm not able to install Windows 10 from an official retail USB. I have an ASUS Z270F Gaming motherboard. I am able to boot from USB. Once I do I get this screen: https://i.imgur.com/dhtKdYb.jpg After I choose 64bit it loads files for a...