Windows 10: New PC not enough space for Windows 10?

Discus and support New PC not enough space for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Just bought a new laptop for my wife, it's an HP Stream 11. Cheap and cheerful but apparently pretty good for the price, and it is suitable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jonnya, Oct 24, 2015.

1. jonnya Win User

New PC not enough space for Windows 10?

Hi all,

Just bought a new laptop for my wife, it's an HP Stream 11. Cheap and cheerful but apparently pretty good for the price, and it is suitable for her light needs, basically web browsing and some light document work, word processing etc.

She's not even going to store music or photos on there. A few very light files only.

So it comes with 8.1 and I think, awesome, I can install 10 straight away (I've not used 10 yet so was quite excited by this).

However when trying to install it's telling me I'm about 2 gig short of enough space for 10. I have about 9 gig free and it wants about 11. The hard drive is 20 gig. I've installed Windows 8.1, removed a shedload of apps she doesn't need, removed some programs that she doesn't need (for example McAfee) and I'm at the stage where there's literally nothing on there but an 8.1 that is as barebones as I think I can make it. Looking at the programs installed, even if I removed Office and some HP crap, it will only get me another 500 MB. Is Windows 10 on this PC simply not possible?

Does it need the space just for the install process itself? Or on an ongoing basis? Because I have a hard drive I can plug in, in the short term, but she's not going to want it attached forever as it will be a little unwieldy for a laptop!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks *Smile

:)

jonnya, Oct 24, 2015

2. Nokia 100 (not enough space for new messages)

Hi!

From time to time i get messages that there is a text message that wants to come through but that there is not enough space. I then delete some inbox messages and then within minutes i get the text. However, recently it has taken much more time for the text
    to come in after deleting old messages.

And why do i all of the sudden get a message that there is not enough space, then i delete some old messages, and NOTHING comes through? Why am i getting this so-called false alarm from time to time now?

I really hope someone can help me with this problem!

Thank you!

Tina100---01, Oct 24, 2015
  3. ZerseHray Win User
    not enough space to for new update for windows 10

why do manufacturers sell devices that cannot handle a basic update on windows 10? is this like the 'clever IT way' to get 'cheapskate losers' who 'are dumb enough to purchase a device with 28 GB(8GB available...) to now spend 'more money' on an external
    hard drive? why would a company even contract makers to make devices that cannot handle a basic update, only unless you delete all the apps and games that came preinstalled? sounds like a bit of a sociopath type of abuser to actually sell such devices. I don't
    feel like an idiot for purchasing the device, i feel like these are idiots who think they are being clever like this. like you think you are getting something out of treating people like they are stupid. it's crazy. so how do i get this update now? i have
    to go out and purchase an external hard drive. when i was actually wanting to store everything in cloud storage. so now i can pay for cloud storage AND have to purchase a hard drive. clever vendors, wouldn't you agree? (9.48 GB required, 7.5GB available -temporary
    files, 3.4 GB cannot be removed, will not 'delete')

ZerseHray, Oct 24, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. Kyhi Win User
    Go into Control Panel > Recovery > create a recovery Drive..
    Create a factory recovey drive and when finished you will have the option to remove the factory recovery partition..
    Thus freeing up several GB of disk space..
    Also the recovery drive itself will give you option to always return the PC back to factory setting..

Because my guess is the drive is a 32GB, not 20GB

6. Dude Win User
    I agree with @NavyLCDR a clean install will do it. The first link is interesting, I have never seen it.

7. jonnya Win User
    If I'm reading this right, is it saying that it needs more space for the upgrade process itself than it will when it's done? That would be the best option if so, I can use an external drive...just not looking to keep it attached once it's upgraded.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow with technical stuff!

jonnya, Oct 24, 2015
  8. New PC not enough space for Windows 10?

We all had to learn at some point I was 50 when I started learning and been enjoying it every since, also you never stop leaning as someone else may of picked up something you may of missed

hTconeM9user, Oct 24, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Correct. I have not tried it myself, but according to the article, it will put windows.old on the external drive which can be unplugged /removed after the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Oct 24, 2015
  10. Hey folks, the drive really is 20GB, not 32GB -- and there are lots of posts on the HP Support forums of folks who have tried such an upgrade and failed.

Mark Phelps, Oct 25, 2015
  11. scm125 Win User
    ive got the hp stream 14 same 32gb ssd hard drive works well with windows 10
    takes up about 15gb off space used easeus partition manager to remove the
    hp restore partition (about 8gb) to make room for win 10 upgrade, after using
    disk clean up to remove previous 8.1 install (windows old folder) I have
    12gb of free space. bought 64gb usb3 stick (micro size) for extra storage

scm125, Oct 25, 2015
  12. scm125 Win User
    ive got the hp stream 14 it has the same 32gb ssd as you hp has partitioned it with approx. 20gb system partition and 6gb hidden recovery partition

scm125, Oct 25, 2015
  13. strollin Win User

strollin, Oct 25, 2015
  14. bobkn Win User
    This'll mostly be a distinction without a difference, but...

If it comes with a decimal 32GB of HD space, Windows will report it as 29.8GB. (The usual 1e9/2^30 gigabyte definition difference.) I don't know how much of that would be needed for the Windows restore partition. I believe that the disk really is a "32GB" one.

What I'd probably try if I owned such a machine would be:

Image the drive. (I own Acronis True Image. Macrium Reflect Free might be a good alternative.)

Prepare the files for a clean install without a prior activation (post #2).

Clean install 10, wiping all the partitions on the drive.

(But that's just me.)

bobkn, Oct 25, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Exactly what I would do - using Macrium Reflect Free.

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2015
Thema:

1. New PC not enough space for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - enough space

2. Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files: Yesterday I started having issues moving files on my E: drive. I was moving and organizing files when I started getting the "There is not enough free space on _____." Sometimes the folder name would be the receiving folder and sometimes it would be the original...
  3. Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files: Yesterday I started having issues moving files on my E: drive. I was moving and organizing files when I started getting the "There is not enough free space on _____." Sometimes the folder name would be the receiving folder and sometimes it would be the original...
  4. How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...: I'm attempting to create an ISO file to install windows on a new PC build and I'm using the Windows media creator. After selecting ISO not USB and selecting the drive I have with nearly 300GB of free space that I double checked was actually cleaned disk space it keeps saying...
  5. How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...: I'm attempting to create an ISO file to install windows on a new PC build and I'm using the Windows media creator. After selecting ISO not USB and selecting the drive I have with nearly 300GB of free space that I double checked was actually cleaned disk space it keeps saying...
  6. How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...

7. Windows 11 update "We can't tell if your pc has enough space to continue installing windows 11"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update "We can't tell if your pc has enough space to continue installing windows 11": Trying to install Windows 11, keep getting this error. Followed multiple suggestions to resize partitions, repair disk, but nothing is working....
  8. Windows 11 update "We can't tell if your pc has enough space to continue installing windows 11"

Windows 11 update "We can't tell if your pc has enough space to continue installing windows 11": Trying to install Windows 11, keep getting this error. Followed multiple suggestions to resize partitions, repair disk, but nothing is working....
  9. Windows 11 update "We can't tell if your pc has enough space to continue installing windows 11"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. it's telling me that i don't have enough space

it's telling me that i don't have enough space: i downloaded the game from steam and downloaded 100 gb from it , then i restarted my pc and tried to resume the download but it tells me that i need more space , before i restarted there was 15 gb remaining and i have 28 gb....