Windows 10: New PC Planning: Storage Options

Discus and support New PC Planning: Storage Options in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Current configuration: Internal: 1x 2TB WD Black HDD: OS/Programs/Games/User Data (1.02TB Free) 1x 2TB WD Black HDD: iTunes Library/Backup (1.33TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Corelogik, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Corelogik Win User

New PC Planning: Storage Options

Current configuration:
    Internal:
    1x 2TB WD Black HDD: OS/Programs/Games/User Data (1.02TB Free)
    1x 2TB WD Black HDD: iTunes Library/Backup (1.33TB Free)

External:
    1x 6TB WD Blue: Media (3.12TB Free)
    1x 6TB WD Blue: Media (3.04TB Free)

iTunes Library is currently 330GB, User Data appx ~500GB

The new Motherboard I am currently looking at has 1 M.2 2280 Slot and 4 6Gbps SATA ports.

MY options are;

Configuration 1:
    1x M.2 1TB - 2TB: OS/Programs/Games, 1x 4TB - 6TB HDD: User Data/iTunes/Backup/Misc

Configuration 2:
    1x M.2 1TB - 2TB: OS/Programs/Games, 1x 2TB HDD: User Data/iTunes, 1x 2TB HDD: Backup/Misc

Configuration 3:
    1x 2TB SSD: OS/Programs/Games, 1x 2TB SSD: User Data/iTunes/Backup/Misc

The externals will remain as is and will probably be upgraded to 8TB or 10TB in the next 2-4yrs as they're only half full and are only 2-3 years old.

One bonus to Configuration 2 is, once Windows is installed on the M.2, I can wipe my current 2TB HDD's and repurpose them, thus saving the $100 or so each for new drives.

What Im looking for is a speed increase, in boot time and program/game loading times, balanced against lifespan. I know SSD's used to be somewhat less long lived than HDD's. I know also that that has improved drastically in teh last few years. Never having had an SSD before I have no experience with them and it is still of some concern until I have used one and have some first hand knowledge.

I normally swap my HDD's out at 3-5yr intervals. I don't do a bunch of writing to disk/data shuffling regularly. I would estimate I create/Writeto external/Remove maybe 25-50GB a month and thats a bit on the heavy side. Not counting the usual writes from Game patches, updates to windows, installing a new program etc,...

I basically want to know if SSD's would good with the minimum of 3-5yrs of use before I have to satrt worrying about swapping it, assuming no catistrophic failures. I know how to partition and divide up disks, but I would like to keep this as simple as possible since my current case has 2 hot swap bays at the front, and the new MB has an M.2 slot.

The M.2 and SSD's I'm looking at curently are all Crucial MX500's or variations thereof.

TIA for any advice or suggestions.

:)

Corelogik, Aug 23, 2020

2. Restarting and sleep option

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue.

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the power options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on power options.
    • Then click on create new power plan.
    • Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 23, 2020
  3. Anak Win User
    Amazon Music Storage subscription plans are being retired

Source: Amazon.com Help: About Amazon Music Subscriptions

I searched and located one of @Brink 's Threads on this subject from back on Feb. 13th 2018:

Amazon Music for Windows 10 available now from Microsoft Store

4. Brink Win User

Amazon Music Storage subscription plans are being retired

Source: Amazon.com Help: About Amazon Music Subscriptions

I searched and located one of @Brink 's Threads on this subject from back on Feb. 13th 2018:

Amazon Music for Windows 10 available now from Microsoft Store

Brink, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

1. New PC Planning: Storage Options - Similar Threads - Planning Storage Options

2. The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.: Microsoft has a basic 5GB cloud storage feature for every customer. Yet in modern times when there are so much data generated from computing activity that size is small to store more data. Has Microsoft introduced plans to increase this 5GB cloud storage for free. I think it...
  3. The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Cloud storage is capped at 5GB . Is there is plan to increase the cloud storage in future.: Microsoft has a basic 5GB cloud storage feature for every customer. Yet in modern times when there are so much data generated from computing activity that size is small to store more data. Has Microsoft introduced plans to increase this 5GB cloud storage for free. I think it...
  4. windows 11 power plan option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 power plan option: pc specsDevice name DESKTOP-N5RARQO Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.6 GB usable Device ID 2B67E5E6-DA3D-4370-8CCC-4C4C41BC2C27 Product ID 00342-21941-82693-AAOEM System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor...
  5. windows 11 power plan option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 power plan option: pc specsDevice name DESKTOP-N5RARQO Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.6 GB usable Device ID 2B67E5E6-DA3D-4370-8CCC-4C4C41BC2C27 Product ID 00342-21941-82693-AAOEM System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor...
  6. No WiFi options on new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No WiFi options on new pc: Hi so I recently bought a prebuilt pc with windows 10 installed and when I started it asked for an Ethernet cable which I don’t have and I wanted to connect to WiFi thing is there’s no WiFi options ANYWHERE I looked at the drivers I just did a network reset and nothing it’s...
  7. Plan to upgrade PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Plan to upgrade PC: Hi Folks, I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit installed in my PC and the specs are E5800 Intel Dual Core Procie 4GB ram Asrock board and plan to upgrade to A4 7300 AMD Procie 8GB ram Gigabyte board I know it's a long shot (or anyone else have same experience) but do I...
  8. Storage Spaces not showing on new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces not showing on new PC: I had 3 'Storage Spaces' in mirror format on my PC, all working with no issues at all. I purchased a new PC and proceeded to move the 'Storage Spaces' from the old PC. However after connecting the had drives, nothing shows up in Windows. I can see the drives in bios but...
  9. Storage issue on new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage issue on new PC: Just bought a new PC 8Gb RAM 128Gb Storage. I've done nothing but switch it on, connect to MS365 and download Dropbox and I'm getting messages saying there is no storage left. I've tried finding files/programmes to delete and there's nothing showing. What should I do?...
  10. Power Options Plan

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Options Plan: Hi Guys, usually we all have balanced power plan. But what if I choose high Performance and than go in advance setting then I set all values as balanced. What will happen and how will that power plan will effect? I am asking in balanced I feel my pc sluggish. but in high...