Windows 10: New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time

Discus and support New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello as the title says, my brand new pc, is VERY slow with the red light on the case indicating hdd problem is on fully. I have noticed very slow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Derek Kwasniewski, Jan 6, 2020.

1. New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time

Hello as the title says, my brand new pc, is VERY slow with the red light on the case indicating hdd problem is on fully. I have noticed very slow performance for restarts and startups.

~~Thanks for any help!

:)

Derek Kwasniewski, Jan 6, 2020
  2. iparout Win User

Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time

Thanks for helping out.

Disabling fast startup made boot time MUCH WORSE ! (took like 4-5 minutes after logging into windows for disk activity to drop below 100%).

Also, a clean boot didn't help either but I could see that Bitdefender antivirus could not be disabled, so I went all the way and completely uninstalled it. This helped boot time (no 100% disk activity this time at all upon boot which is normal since nothing loads up on boot), but even the slightest task (like opening a single docx) makes disk activity go all the way up to 100% for a few seconds (4-5 sec), during which everything is laggy.

I managed to grab a screenshot of the resource monitor when the HDD was @ 100% (with Bitdefender still installed), and figured out that the disk goes to 100% with a Total (read/write) speed of 3 MB/s ! I don't know if that's normal... Also attached is the bottom part of CrystalDiskMark as requested

New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time [​IMG]

Running the /sfc scannow command gave showed no violations

Also, new CrystalDiskMark test, with no antivirus installed :

I am beginning to think that disk read/write/access speed is the reason behind all problems because, even after successfully booting into windows and the disk activity goes to normal levels, it still goes to 100% and the system becomes extremely laggy/slow even for the simplest of tasks...

iparout, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Disk active time is 100% and slow startup in Windows 10 Home

Disk active time is 100% after startup causing slow performance of system. This is happening on HP laptop installed with Windows 10 Home 64 bit Edition OS. Could anyone help?

DevarajRathinasamy, Jan 6, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time

Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time

Yeah, that will happen. That's why I said to give it a "few" good shutdowns. Usually, when I see all kinds of disk activity at startup that doesn't go away, or takes forever to go away, it can be a cause of Fast Startup being on. Turning it off can let the programs that need to finish things up, actually finish them up. Fast Startup is like a hybrid hibernation. Many times, things like FPRs (Files Pending Rename) and other stuff that needs to be done outside the OS, never have a chance to get done, because Fast Startup never lets the OS go completely.

Any AV is going to put stress/activity on a HDD; removing Bitdefender was a good test, but it appears you have something else going on. The Read Error Rate (1st line of Crystal Disk Info) may just be another symptom of whatever the problem is.

Thanks - the two attributes I was looking for were Current Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count, both of which are fine.
    I'm no HDD expert, and perhaps others will have more ideas for you, but I think perhaps you might want to run the Seagate Seatools utility on that drive, and see if it passes. You'll want to run the long test, and it will take quite some time on a 1TB drive.
    SeaTools | Seagate Support Deutschland

Just thinking how a mechanical drive works (compared to an SSD), and seeking data, if it's scattered all over, a defrag would help. But this is a new installation. There may be something physically wrong with that drive, (or the connection) and Seagate would have to tell you what tests to run to give them whatever info they need to determine that.

Of course, it's always possible that it was a bad OOBE setup, and a reinstall might help (yes, I've seen it happen), but that would mean setting up all your software all over again.

Perhaps some hardware experts will chime in with some other ideas for you.

simrick, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time

1. New PC Very Slow And 100% Disk Active Time - Similar Threads - Very Slow 100%

2. New Pc is reading **** active time 100%, crashes, and is very slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Pc is reading **** active time 100%, crashes, and is very slow.: At first it was a constant 100%, I have turned sysmain off and have followed steps from multiple sources like turning startup programs off running sfc and ive recovered my pc. Sometimes its 100% on **** c and starts to use my disk d, now it hits 100 and drops but it happens a...
  3. New Pc is reading **** active time 100%, crashes, and is very slow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Pc is reading **** active time 100%, crashes, and is very slow.: At first it was a constant 100%, I have turned sysmain off and have followed steps from multiple sources like turning startup programs off running sfc and ive recovered my pc. Sometimes its 100% on **** c and starts to use my disk d, now it hits 100 and drops but it happens a...
  4. Disk active time at 100, then PC freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk active time at 100, then PC freezes: Hi, I've started having problems with gaming recently. When I start any game CS:GO, Valorant, Minecraft, PUBG or anything else my disk active time in task manager goes up to 100% though there was 1 instance where it only went up to 50% when playing CS:GO for some reason and...
  5. Disk active time at 100, then PC freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk active time at 100, then PC freezes: Hi, I've started having problems with gaming recently. When I start any game CS:GO, Valorant, Minecraft, PUBG or anything else my disk active time in task manager goes up to 100% though there was 1 instance where it only went up to 50% when playing CS:GO for some reason and...
  6. Disk active time at 100, then PC freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Extremely slow performance - Disk 100% active time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Extremely slow performance - Disk 100% active time: Hello, I just put a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on my old desktop. It's using a Samsung PM830 SSD to run the system and a Seagate 2tb secondary drive. The only other programs I've installed on the computer is Steam and Google Chrome. When I try to run any software,...
  8. Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time: Hi ! I purchased a new laptop a couple days ago (ASUS ZenBook UX410UAK – specs in screenshot) and straight from the first day I noticed it was way too slow, especially on boot. [img] [img] I managed to pinpoint down the problem to the HDD (ST1000LM035-1RK172). The...
  9. SSD Disk Active time 100%

SSD Disk Active time 100%: Hi, I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy. - Any window takes a while to open - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay - Programs not responding I did the usual checks such as - Antivirus / Antispyware - Drivers update...
  10. Very painful and slow boot time and 100% disk usage

Very painful and slow boot time and 100% disk usage: I've been having this problem for a long time, I've tried resetting my pc to factory settings, didn't work. I tried windows trouble-shooter, didn't work. When I boot I am greeted with a zoostorm logo for about 50 seconds followed by a black screen for 1 minute, and then a...